+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
BSF Thread, BSF & TUPE in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; So I'm guessing the general consensus here is that TUPE isn't too bad? I really wish there were some figures ...
    Thank Post
    So I'm guessing the general consensus here is that TUPE isn't too bad?

I really wish there were some figures on how many had kept/lost jobs etc.

I was thinking that as they can drop you after 12 weeks in adverse conditions will job losses be more likely with the current climate, or as schools are pretty forced into support charges are they immune to present climate?

When it comes to maybe having to support other schools, do they cover your car insurance? Mine is for SPC to 1 place of work, not travelling around.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mrforgetful View Post

I was thinking that as they can drop you after 12 weeks in adverse conditions will job losses be more likely with the current climate, or as schools are pretty forced into support charges are they immune to present climate?
    Am I wrong in thinking they don't even need to take you on in the first place if it's not deemed to be economically viable to do so?

Regardless of whether schools can have plenty of money extracted from them, the MSP will need to do whatever it can to keep its costs low and increase profits. Just because they have a steady source of income doesn't mean they won't try to run their business as efficiently (potentially a euphemism) as possible.

Thank Post
    I think they do HAVE to take you on, as that is part of the deal of the MSP accepting the contract offered by the LEA. However, they CAN make you redundant after the first take on economic, technical or various other reasons.
    You might get to stay where you are on the same pay with better support from a large company.... or you might be "persuaded" to sign over to their company and thair contract.
    To be honest you need to find out exactly where you stand - possibly discuss with union reps who "might" know what they are doing

Thank Post
    Tony_Mc, before you got TUPED to RM did you have an RM network and what about any RM Qualifications? We are currently an RM school running CC3 and I am a certified RM Network Technician and Network Manager. At the moment I think RM are the chosen managed service provider for our LEA but I am unsure.

Seems to me that RM are probably the best company to be TUPed to as they understand the requirement of ICT support staff in schools, other companies are too corporate and don't fully understand. Lets face it most big corporate businesses have a managed service and are on call 24/7.

Its an entirely different setup for schools and one would think RM fully understand this and are willing to fully support the school and its ICT staff.

Its just a theory, could be completely wrong but its ok to hope lol.

We are to be tuped next year although we have not been invited to any meetings or had any clarified, they will probably leave it to last minute as usual.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie_OLSJ View Post
    I think they do HAVE to take you on, as that is part of the deal of the MSP accepting the contract offered by the LEA. However, they CAN make you redundant after the first take on economic, technical or various other reasons.
    You might get to stay where you are on the same pay with better support from a large company.... or you might be "persuaded" to sign over to their company and thair contract.
    To be honest you need to find out exactly where you stand - possibly discuss with union reps who "might" know what they are doing
    As I understand it, there are no guarantees in the BwD & Bolton BSF scheme that staff will be taken on. The people running the BSF bid were quite clear in the earlier stages that they wouldn't be committing to it. Not sure if that has changed since they lost a bidder.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sahmeepee View Post
    As I understand it, there are no guarantees in the BwD & Bolton BSF scheme that staff will be taken on. The people running the BSF bid were quite clear in the earlier stages that they wouldn't be committing to it. Not sure if that has changed since they lost a bidder.
    As with any of the bids they HAVE to take you on, but can get rid of you after day one. That is, unless they state in their bid that they have no intention of taking everyone.
    The problem with any of these bids is that there's absolutely no job security in the slightest and, unless you're "just" a technician pretty much no guarantee of staying in your current position.
    For those wanting to soar to the heady heights of upper management, etc I suppose there is a possible future - but again, there can only be so many positions for all the "surplus" Network Managers.

Am I wrong to be happy at my current level and not want to go any higher?

Thank Post

BSF Tuped

Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Mc View Post
    I was TUPEd across from my school to RM last September.

Best thing that has happend to me, all of a sudden I can move up again.

I get the same pay, which I am happy with, I get the same holidays, which I am happy. Basically I get all the perks that came with my job at the school and now I have growth again.

I have a line manager who understands me and what I do, outside of school view, I am elegable for bonus pay and get overtime at the usual rates.

I feel supported again, I have a helpdesk that I can call if i am stuck on something and i get to take part in a very big program. No grumbles from me at all!

Tony
    Hi Tony are you still based at the school, and are all the servers at the school
    Is it ok working for RM

Thank Post
    So I'm guessing the general consensus here is that TUPE isn't too bad?

I really wish there were some figures on how many had kept/lost jobs etc.

When it comes to maybe having to support other schools, do they cover your car insurance? Mine is for SPC to 1 place of work, not travelling around.
    We never seem to know...... as most TUPED members vanish and are never heard from again...

Thank Post
    I imagine if things were bad they'd be on here to let us know though.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Unless its bad enough to make them swear never to go near another computer, and they're now busy meditating in some remote temple.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by msattar View Post
    Hi Tony are you still based at the school, and are all the servers at the school
    Is it ok working for RM
    Sorry didn't see this.

Yeah I am still based in the school, all the servers are in the school and I have access to them whenever I please!

As for those vanishing, there is no reason why they would other than they are busy!

There seems to be a lot of very bad feeling towards the TUPE process from some members, yet I don't think I have seen too many issues, I certainly have not had anything other than praise for it. There is no "Men in Black" to come and take you away if you don't like it, the government are not getting TUPE techs shot either, so relax!

I am starting to sound like a broken record, but my career has opened up again and I feel very good about it!

TOny

Thank Post
    Doubt it because they would lose their jobs as this site is monitored by RM. Northgate and Sophos to name a few..

We know of one person who was Tuped losing their job from "too much internet time"

All we ever hear is propaganda. and not one single complaint... yet at grass roots levels there are complaints about the service levels

13. Thanks to Grommit from:

Oops_my_bad (28th May 2009)

Thank Post
    Sounds good to me

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Mc View Post
    Sorry didn't see this.

Yeah I am still based in the school, all the servers are in the school and I have access to them whenever I please!

As for those vanishing, there is no reason why they would other than they are busy!

There seems to be a lot of very bad feeling towards the TUPE process from some members, yet I don't think I have seen too many issues, I certainly have not had anything other than praise for it. There is no "Men in Black" to come and take you away if you don't like it, the government are not getting TUPE techs shot either, so relax!

I am starting to sound like a broken record, but my career has opened up again and I feel very good about it!

TOny
    So you can access your servers as Domain Admin and work on the Servers, File, Exchange and ISA ?

Which borough are you ?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    Doubt it because they would lose their jobs as this site is monitored by RM. Northgate and Sophos to name a few..

All we ever hear is propaganda. and not one single complaint... yet at grass roots levels there are complaints about the service levels
    WOW grommit you seem very bitter about something or very warey or both?

I can assure you I have not been assimilated to the borg or anything like that.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information