+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
BSF Thread, BSF & TUPE in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Reading this thread, I thought someone should make a case for the positive outcome of a BSF managed service and ...

Thank Post

BSF Positive Outcome for CPD?

Reading this thread, I thought someone should make a case for the positive outcome of a BSF managed service and the increased CPD opportunities that will hopefully be available to all technical staff currently working in a School or Academy in a wave of BSF.

Having worked alongside and mentored numerous ICT technical staff over many years, I have seen most of these fantastic and enthusiast young people disappear out of the education system into the corporate world leaving a job they loved not for the financial rewards, but for the job satisfaction and the knowledge that in a their own way they were making a difference to our future generation.

Being TUPE’d into a BSF MS could be viewed as a negative but I personally (and I was a TUPE’d ICT technician myself, 20 years ago!) would embrace this as an excellent and exciting opportunity for career progression and look at it as a positive.

"runs for cover with his hard hat on"

Thank Post
    Has anyone here been through BSF and been TUPED? Have they still got control over their network, have things stayed the same.

Basically, is there a positive or have they all been swallowed up and reduced to toner monkeys or been made to commute to the County offices?

Thank Post
    I would suggest that this seems to be a positive outcome.

Interim Managed Service - October!

Thank Post
    I was TUPEd across from my school to RM last September.

Best thing that has happend to me, all of a sudden I can move up again.

I get the same pay, which I am happy with, I get the same holidays, which I am happy. Basically I get all the perks that came with my job at the school and now I have growth again.

I have a line manager who understands me and what I do, outside of school view, I am elegable for bonus pay and get overtime at the usual rates.

I feel supported again, I have a helpdesk that I can call if i am stuck on something and i get to take part in a very big program. No grumbles from me at all!

Tony

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony_Mc View Post
    I was TUPEd across from my school to RM last September.

Best thing that has happend to me, all of a sudden I can move up again.

I get the same pay, which I am happy with, I get the same holidays, which I am happy. Basically I get all the perks that came with my job at the school and now I have growth again.

I have a line manager who understands me and what I do, outside of school view, I am elegable for bonus pay and get overtime at the usual rates.

I feel supported again, I have a helpdesk that I can call if i am stuck on something and i get to take part in a very big program. No grumbles from me at all!

Tony
    Good to hear everything worked out well for you.

Can I ask what position/title did you have before being TUPED, and your title now. Also, is there the same number of staff at the school, or are you based centrally?

Many thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by KWestos View Post
    Good to hear everything worked out well for you.

Can I ask what position/title did you have before being TUPED, and your title now. Also, is there the same number of staff at the school, or are you based centrally?

Many thanks
    Hi

My title before was Network Manager, my title after is the same. I am BSF Network Manager for my school. We have the same number of staff, myself and my technician and we work soley at the school though we can be asked to cover other schools if need be, for instance last weekend I helped a school out with the Conflictor virus on the Sunday, overtime

Tony

7. Thanks to Tony_Mc from:

KWestos (20th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Hi

My title before was Network Manager, my title after is the same. I am BSF Network Manager for my school. We have the same number of staff, myself and my technician and we work soley at the school though we can be asked to cover other schools if need be, for instance last weekend I helped a school out with the Conflictor virus on the Sunday, overtime

Tony
    Sounds like things have worked really well for you there, that's pretty cool.. and perhaps has quashed some of my fears.

Can i ask though, were either you or your technician term time only, and are you still?

Thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by klop View Post
    Sounds like things have worked really well for you there, that's pretty cool.. and perhaps has quashed some of my fears.

Can i ask though, were either you or your technician term time only, and are you still?

Thanks
    Both myself and my tech were full time, we get reasonable holidays and that has carried forwards.

We are still full time and work 37h a week as standard.

Tony

10. 2 Thanks to Tony_Mc:

klop (20th March 2009), trogers (24th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Both myself and my tech were full time, we get reasonable holidays and that has carried forwards.

We are still full time and work 37h a week as standard.

Tony
    As a Technician, I would love you hear your Tech's views and if he/she feels things have improved also.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by trogers View Post
    As a Technician, I would love you hear your Tech's views and if he/she feels things have improved also.
    I have asked him to come on and post his views

13. Thanks to Tony_Mc from:

trogers (24th March 2009)

Thank Post
    We've got to attend a TUPE meeting at the end of this month - all techies across the borough.
    Not looking forward to it as I was hoping that either BSF would miraculously fall through or that we'd at least have a few more years delay.
    People seem to be saying that, from a positive point of view, that suddenly they've got new opportunities to progress, move up and onwards on the career ladder. It's all very well for those that want to enter upper management, but for those of us that love being Network Managers and have no intention or inclination to go higher (or re-locate) there seems to be no future in schools.
    Just as a matter of interest, have any Network Managers been TUPE'd and still feel secure in their position or do they feel marginalised or "forced" to climb the promotion ladder?
    Other than the obvious lack of security, lack of creativity and lack of freedom to develop new IT systems are there any particular questions I should be raising at these meetings?
    I don't want to be going to this meeting and raising bad points - I just can't seem to see any good points to this whole thing from my point of view

Thank Post

The Law...HA!!!!!

Hi Deaks
    Our school has just gone through the TUPE process we are becoming an academy. The PDF you attached, well print it out and then use it for toilet paper!
    You current job is supposed to be safeguarded, you transfer to the new employer under the same conditions, keep the same pension rights etc.
    If that is the case as everybody here understood and it was the understanding of the Union, why then did we have to go through a ‘job matching’ process.
    The academy made up new job specifications for our current jobs and gave the jobs new titles. They then looked at what we currently did against what the new job spec said. If there was an 80% match you got the job. If you did not 80% match you then could appeal, if appeal not upheld they would then offer you a different position. If you did not want the new position you would then be effectively making yourself redundant, guess what, you would get nothing.
    Everybody that did job match (there were some that did not) received a letter says you have got the job ‘provisionally’ and you will get formal notification on 3rd February. The formal letters have still not been issued; we have been told that they are checking the wording of the letters with lawyers.
    Even if you did job match there is a full staff review in November this year, so I think more job will be under threat.
    Something else we are now being told is that when we get the formal letters there is a check box asking if we want to stay on our current pay and conditions or transfer to academy pay and conditions!
    I think I smell a rat!!
    The upshot is it does not matter what the law says, it does not matter how much your union jump up and down and bang their fists on the table, they will do what ever they want, of cause in the best interests of everyone concerned!!!!!
    Give me shout if you want any more info

All the best

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sahmeepee View Post
    Good luck with your efforts and of course keep everyone here posted.
    To those who have read my previous posts in this thread, I did promise an update when I knew more about the situation I am in.
    It turns out that although the details I mentioned are correct for me, they would not apply to normal BSF schools.

Our new build is financed differently (I.E. not actually a BSF, or PFI, or Academy etc) so some rules don't apply. Our new build process is "following BSF standards" overall, but not forced to use the BSF ICT model for instance.
    What we do have to do is follow a rigid structure for ICT procurement. All of the options are quite restrictive in one way or another, and some (managing the entire process ourselves, OJEU, tender etc) are less attractive than others. Luckily none (well, maybe one) are quite as restrictive as the BSF ICT model!
    So, while I might have the potential enjoyment of doing consultant work ahead of me, and a reasonable amount of control over design aspect of our network, it seems many true BSF schools will not.

Having said all of that, at the end of this process despite my freedom over the whole project, I may actually end up having myself TUPE'd (but not the technical team I manage!)
    A lot of my new (and currently "to be confirmed" job role) won't exist long after the school is open. It could well be that the school has a much more customised network, potentially more reliable and productive than an out of the box RM solution (sorry to any RM Connect lovers out there!), but that I personally end up the same route as many of you!
    If that happens, maybe I'll be well-placed to seek out a management role within BSF or BECTA and actually start making them see the real benefits of freedom, customisation and enterprise!
    Last edited by mb2k01; 24th March 2009 at 09:04 PM.

17. 2 Thanks to mb2k01:

Grommit (27th May 2009), sahmeepee (25th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie_OLSJ View Post
    We've got to attend a TUPE meeting at the end of this month - all techies across the borough.
    Not looking forward to it as I was hoping that either BSF would miraculously fall through or that we'd at least have a few more years delay.
    People seem to be saying that, from a positive point of view, that suddenly they've got new opportunities to progress, move up and onwards on the career ladder. It's all very well for those that want to enter upper management, but for those of us that love being Network Managers and have no intention or inclination to go higher (or re-locate) there seems to be no future in schools.
    Just as a matter of interest, have any Network Managers been TUPE'd and still feel secure in their position or do they feel marginalised or "forced" to climb the promotion ladder?
    Other than the obvious lack of security, lack of creativity and lack of freedom to develop new IT systems are there any particular questions I should be raising at these meetings?
    I don't want to be going to this meeting and raising bad points - I just can't seem to see any good points to this whole thing from my point of view
    With all due respect, I am only talking about myself here. I want to move up and I have only seen this possible since the BSF, I have a say in things at the school, I attend meetings with the council and we have a great relationship wth the school

My job has changed a bit, but that is only because I wanted it to change and I have made myself available for meetings and got my hands a little bit dirtier than my job description says they should be. If you get my drift.

you see, I have chosen to take on more here at the school and I have the flexibility to do this.

If you carry on as normal then that is great too and your job shouldn't change. *shouldn't*

If you are being TUPD across I wouldn't be worried. You will have a job, plenty of my friends don't have work at the moment and would jump at any chance to get into a role that has such great prospects.

I attended every meeting that had even an incling (sp?) to involving my role from day one, BSF, Council etc... and I made SURE I knew what to expect and asked plenty of questions.

I don't think this is something to be scared of just something to get your head around.

I hope I don't come across in a "high and mighty" way but I really am the happiest I have ever been in a job and I hope you guys get a peice of this pie

TOny

Thank Post

Bedfordshire

As you know from a post elswhere we have Civica here. We are looking for a 5 year completion time on the final School . Apart from the possible change in Government and the possibility in advancing Depression it is all going ahead. We have had a meeting with the Head who knows nothing concrete at the moment apart from the obvious takeover of our jobs and the Ground staff. He wants to keep the team here but even though we will probably have a massive IT infrastructure the advances in slimming down the system will mean we may not all stay on site. First thought is we provide a very good service here (we think). After the pride bit is gone, we may have opurtunities if we act soon to continue within the School in other roles as far as i can make out, whatever they may be, or maybe as posted above, a chance for career advancement with another company ie Civica. Our concern at the moment is job security (im not getting any younger) pension and years service to the School. After all it is a new contract. Oh yeah and wages? Pay cuts? Being interviewed for your own job? ect ect.
    That all seems a bit of a worry to us.
    Anyway it could all happen sooner rather than later. Once all is set up off site, alot of requirements like the new VLE ect , it could easily be in place before the the schools changes so we may see things happen a wee bit earlier.
    It would be nice to have had an explaination before now as to whats happening with us and even some sort of acknowledgement from the Unions as to the latest on this. There is a meeting for all effected at the end of next month so we may see then.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information