+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
BSF Thread, Job Losses in Hackney BSF and RM? in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Originally Posted by broc psydii TCO means including the teachers time too...... How much teaching time will be lost dealing ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    psydii

TCO means including the teachers time too......

How much teaching time will be lost dealing with the helpdesk as they talk them through a screen driven PD process? Will the teacher simply call for a classroom assistant to help instead? These 'costs' may not show up on the managed service bottom line but they are real costs to the school.

Your scenario described to MK-2 is fine, until there are 3-4 or more similar urgent requests queued for the only technician on site. Even 15 minutes downtime is 25% lesson wasted.......

I once worked in a commercial environment where they decided to switch from centralised printing to distributed to save print operator costs. They saved the print operator costs, but it cost 3-4 times more for increased network support staff, and the end users (many of whom were highly paid professionals) had to waste time sorting out their own printout from other people.

That is why TCO is so important.
    We have just been told that there is a push for Teaching Assistants to go on new "Basic ICT Support" courses and these are being funded by the government...

They will be taught on Printers, Printer Jams, how to set up PC, basic PC trouble shooting and basic IWB trouble shooting..

Thank Post
    If you search for news regarding BSF, the number of news items demonstrating success are overwhelmed by the number of news items that show the BSF program is in trouble....

Deadlines not being met

Program cutbacks

Funding shortfalls

To name but a few.

Of course I realise we should not always believe what the press say

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    We have just been told that there is a push for Teaching Assistants to go on new "Basic ICT Support" courses and these are being funded by the government...

They will be taught on Printers, Printer Jams, how to set up PC, basic PC trouble shooting and basic IWB trouble shooting..
    I am not surprised. We were asked if the school would be prepared to consider employing more people directly to cover any potential shortfall in the level of onsite ICT support provided by the Managed Service Provider.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Does anyone mind if I troll a bit before running away?

Yes?

Oh well ... I'll just leave a short comment then.

We keep talking about what happens when things go wrong ... who said things will go wrong?

I'll get my coat ... it is the asbestos one.
    I do; because they are.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know they go wrong ... it was said tongue in cheek. Nicholas and I have exchange emails about what has been going wrong and teh problems they are still having.

In some scenarios it could almost be said that the only positive thing that could be said is that there are plenty of mistakes to learn from when it comes to communication ... but I have to hold my hand up and say that it is not always the fault of the contractor ... it is the LA. And I have been saying that a fair bit that LAs need to have better Communication and make sure they communicate to *everyone* who is affected.

That said, poor LA communication is not just the realm of BSF though. Some are better than others too.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I know how you meant it! It's just the opportunity presented itself to publicly observe that things can fall apart no matter what the directors say.

We really need to be finding better things to be doing on a Friday night than posting here. I expect Nick is several pints worse for wear now.
    Last edited by psydii; 30th May 2008 at 09:31 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If he has any sense ... I am just recovering from driving back from Lancs. M6 at any time on a friday is not nice.

Thank Post
    When they break them the technician will be able to swap the broken one for a spare and send off the old one for repair.
    'When' yeh that's the right word i have a feeling that the tech will become a packaging expert.

Sorry to resurrect there but it made me chuckle

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have a few days left of free speaking on this ...

Replacing broken with spares and sending off (or putting to one side for on-site) repair is common practice even before you look at BSF. It just gives some staff more time to do the interesting things in schools ... like working out what will fail next or coming up with solutions before teachers realise they need them.

Thank Post
    I was really refering to all students having a hand held device, i just can't see them lasting very long.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Right now, they won't ... they are seen as incidental devices by the students unless a serious sense of ownership is instilled into them, either by charging the families for damages (risk of losing the engagement of families) or by removing abusive students from the scheme (again, a risk of losing engagement of parents as well as a challenge against the school due not failing to provide an equal curriculum!)

Get them to provide their own machines, that way they *have* to look after them!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Right now, they won't ... they are seen as incidental devices by the students unless a serious sense of ownership is instilled into them, either by charging the families for damages (risk of losing the engagement of families) or by removing abusive students from the scheme (again, a risk of losing engagement of parents as well as a challenge against the school due not failing to provide an equal curriculum!)

Get them to provide their own machines, that way they *have* to look after them!
    Yes 80% of our returned CFP Laptops are damaged .. a couple beyond repair... yet the students don't give a monkeys

Thank Post
    removing abusive students from the scheme
    Really can't see that happening, 'some' parents won't pay and students will not be allowed to be excluded from learning. I don't like the idea of them providing their own as allot can't afford it so there will be some form if credit scheme (get em started early ;-)) and again what happens when it breaks and they can't replace it are they excluded again? (I'm just playing devils advocate)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Get them to pay for their own education, they might learn more.

/tongue in cheek

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Talking of users providing their own machines...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information