+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
BSF Thread, Sunderland BSF in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; ...
    Thank Post

Sunderland BSF

Well Sunderland has awarded a £16 million contract to the winning bidder!

Only time will show what value for money that massive sum of money will achieve.

Lower running costs?
    Better Exam results as a result of the expenditure in ICT?

Only time has the full answer now, let us hope that some form of accountability will be in place in 5 years time to show how the BSF ICT process has helped.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,358 Times in 748 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyx View Post
    Well Sunderland has awarded a £16 million contract to the winning bidder!

Only time will show what value for money that massive sum of money will achieve.

Lower running costs?
    Better Exam results as a result of the expenditure in ICT?

Only time has the full answer now, let us hope that some form of accountability will be in place in 5 years time to show how the BSF ICT process has helped.
    Accountability!? yeah, right.....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    And the winner bidder is... ? RM?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes, RM. Here's the press release.

http://www.sunderland-bsf.org.uk/con...d%20bidder.doc

Thank Post
    £16 million for 15,000 students = 1067 per pupil over 5 years = £213.33 per pupil per year. (I know I haven't counted staff needs etc. but these should average out on a per pupil basis)

Hows this stack up against what schools spend now?

We've spent about £1.5 million over 7 years for 1800 pupils = Less than 120 per pupil per year.

Now our system isn't perfect but its pretty damn good and it wouldn't take almost doubling our budget to more than match whatever RM is offering.

What about others how much do you spend per pupil per year?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steve View Post
    £16 million for 15,000 students = 1067 per pupil over 5 years = £213.33 per pupil per year.
    I think you might not have been sneaky enough with your calculations there. The exact quote is:

The ICT contract, worth over £16 million, will be finalised in March 2008 and will change the way more than 15,000 pupils learn during its five year lifespan.
    That suggests to me that 15,000 pupils will use the facilities in that 5 year period, so if we said it was only for schools without 6th forms (for easy numbers), you would have 9 years' worth of pupils using the service in a school which taught 5 year groups at a time.

That means you can divide the numbers again because the total number of pupils being taught in the school year 2010-2011 is (15000*5)/9 = 8,333 pupils. If all schools had 6th forms it would be 15000*7/11 = 9,545 pupils. I guess the real figure is somewhere in between, giving you something in the region of £360/pupil/year.

Can I have a P please Carol.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sahmeepee View Post
    I think you might not have been sneaky enough with your calculations there. The exact quote is:

That suggests to me that 15,000 pupils will use the facilities in that 5 year period, so if we said it was only for schools without 6th forms (for easy numbers), you would have 9 years' worth of pupils using the service in a school which taught 5 year groups at a time.

That means you can divide the numbers again because the total number of pupils being taught in the school year 2010-2011 is (15000*5)/9 = 8,333 pupils. If all schools had 6th forms it would be 15000*7/11 = 9,545 pupils. I guess the real figure is somewhere in between, giving you something in the region of £360/pupil/year.

Can I have a P please Carol.
    Well it's still an awful lot of money...

Thank Post
    OK so this got me thinking .....

Those to benefit from the first phase of the BSF project, the largest single capital investment Sunderland’s education system has seen, are: Biddick School Sports College; the academy to replace Castle View School; the academy to replace Hylton Red House School; Oxclose Community School; the academy to replace Pennywell School and Quarry View Primary School; Sandhill View School; St Robert of Newminster RC School and Washington School.
    So only 8 schools are going to benefit from this first wave contract.

A little research shows that the total on roll in these schools currently stands at about 7909 plus 434 post 16 student - total of 8342

Which means sahmeepee your calculations are pretty good

Based on current number of pupils on role = £383/pupil/year

A survey carried out in 2003 by Government Office Regions forecast that a 0-19 population change in the North East of –9% in the period 2005 – 2012.
    Sunderland gov doc here. Less pupils in the future too!

Gold plated IWB pens for everyone?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Grommit View Post
    Well it's still an awful lot of money...
    Exactly my point! It's even more money than it looks at face value because you're not getting anything like the value for money that the 15,000-pupil headline number suggests.

Thank Post
    I would also imagine the £16 million plus will not include consumables etc. Which can be a big part of our current costs.

Thank Post
    As I understand it the initial ICT investment under BSF is of the order of £1400 per student. This comes to less than £12m, not £16m. Therefore I suspect the contract covers more than just the schools, making it difficult to work out the spend per student.

I wonder if the EDIT, the Sunderland LA Education ICT support team is being 'absorbed' too?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeyx View Post
    I would also imagine the £16 million plus will not include consumables etc. Which can be a big part of our current costs.
    ROFLMAO

No mate... it will be for a basic setup and maintainance of that basic setup.....

All additional work and supplies will be charged for .. (like moving a printer or replacing a vandalised mouse or keyboard)

No Photocopiers, No Phones, No AV setups, No After Hours, No Weekends, No research, No Helping Teachers in Classrooms (hand holding)
    Last edited by Grommit; 22nd January 2008 at 02:15 PM.

Thank Post
    No Helping Teachers in Classrooms (hand holding)
    that obviously wont be needed, the plan is all the teachers will get trained to use all the new systems in place so they wont need it people like us will they.................

and then you guessed it, forget instantly as they walk into the classroom on their 1st day!!!

Thank Post
    No Photocopiers, No Phones, No AV setups, No After Hours, No Weekends, No research, No Helping Teachers in Classrooms (hand holding)

Hang on a minute...... I like the sound of this, maybe being part of a BSF Managed ICT service is not such a bad idea after all .............

Sorry. Bad Joke......

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by broc View Post
    I wonder if the EDIT, the Sunderland LA Education ICT support team is being 'absorbed' too?

Probably not, since this contract is only with the BSF schools all of the other schools, primaries etc remain unaffected and will still deal with EDIT or whoever.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information