+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
BSF Thread, How to find out a preferred bidder in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; Nottingham City has (supposedly) chosen it's preferred bidder but the chances of us being told are slim.....they like us to ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

How to find out a preferred bidder

Nottingham City has (supposedly) chosen it's preferred bidder but the chances of us being told are slim.....they like us to know as little as possible.
    I've tried the BSF and council website and nothing there. Is there anywhere that lists which preferred bidders were chosen by which authorities?
    Just curious as to who our new fuhrers will be.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    You would know if been chosen as it has to be very public etc

Russell

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The company involved usually proudly issues a press release exclaiming the fact they've been chosen. Check the websites of the companies that have been short listed as bidders.

Thank Post
    I suspect the reason it is not yet public domain will be due to legal reasons such as getting the paperwork and terms & conditions sorted and agreeing a formal joint press release.

Both the LA and the successful bidder will want to say how wonderful it will all be........

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    well, we weren't even told the shortlisted bidders, as we kept getting told "i've had to sign a disclosure saying i wont say who the bidders are for confidentiality reasons"

i'd have been happier if they just said 'why should you care, you wont have a job here soon'

it's definitely been sorted as we were told they were making a decision last week of last term, so possibly paperwork and t&c like broc says.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As per this document:

http://open.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/co...eportfeb07.doc

The bidders are the following:

Inspired Spaces
    Investors in the Community
    Learning21
    Miller
    Skanska
    Transform Schools
    Vinci Investments

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Geoff, this just goes to show how well we are thought of in this school. We were told that the shortlist can't be disclosed for confidentiality. Obviously more BS. I've looked on Miller and Transform School sites and neither mention it, so I'm assuming its Inspired Spaces.
    But of course it can't be confirmed or I'd have to sign the secrecy act and then be shot

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Which school are you from btw? I can probably find out what's planned to happen to it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Hadden Park High School.
    The proposed plans are to turn this into a sort of super campus, encompassing us, the primary school, the special school, the sports stadium, a police station, the lot.
    We were initially told it was going to be complete rebuild but its now completing 'refurbishment' of the building.
    If you know anything on the IT side, do tell Or PM if necessary.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The shortlist *has* to be publically announced as part of the process ... this is to give people a chance to challenge. If you are not happy that the process has been transparent then you can report this back to P4S ... beware ... politics will happen.

Also check that it was not just a case that *you* weren't told ... but if someone in Manglement had asked they would have been.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    GD: Our boss, the head of IT was involved in all the BSF meetings and marking of the bidders etc. When she came back from the meeting my immediate boss (senior tech) and I asked her what bidders were chosen and were told we cant be told anything as its confidential. She said she couldn't tell us which companies or what each company was proposing in terms of keeping technical staff on.
    It wasn't a case of us asking and management not. It was us asking a person who had sat in the meeting when they must have said 'the preferred bidders are x x and x' and then told us they are sworn to secrecy.
    I'm not bothered to be honest, if I'm going to leave, I will, which bidder is chosen won't mean the difference in me staying or going.

I think it stems from the fact that when my boss and I said we were unhappy with the whole BSF thing so would probably look for other work because chances are we'll be outsourced or have very little server work here, the school thought that the less they tell us then the less we can use for leaving.
    Our head promised us on about 5 occasions that our contracts would stay with the school, 100% guarantee, then asking him again sometime earlier this year he said 'well yes it might change'.
    They do not want us to know stuff in case we say 'sod it I'm off then'

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    As per this document:

http://open.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/co...Review_BSF.doc

Your school is listed as being given a 'Refurbish'.

As for specific IT stuff, there is a little hint in that document as to a working group being setup to produce a output specification. I suggest you attempt to find out who is on this working group, and if this output specification has been finalised.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The 'group' that was set up to decide what was needed I believe included the head of IT here who, from my previous post, was the one who told us we can't know the bidders. Our input to this was asking the questions like 'what will our roles be, will we be at the school or roaming' etc. She asked the questions, got vague answers and then said she couldn't tell us those answers either.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    GD: Our boss, the head of IT was involved in all the BSF meetings and marking of the bidders etc. When she came back from the meeting my immediate boss (senior tech) and I asked her what bidders were chosen and were told we cant be told anything as its confidential. She said she couldn't tell us which companies or what each company was proposing in terms of keeping technical staff on.
    It wasn't a case of us asking and management not. It was us asking a person who had sat in the meeting when they must have said 'the preferred bidders are x x and x' and then told us they are sworn to secrecy.
    I'm not bothered to be honest, if I'm going to leave, I will, which bidder is chosen won't mean the difference in me staying or going.
    Eek ... the worst thing you can do is ask someone involved in the process. You will *never* get a straight answer there!

The problem with being involved in things like this is that you *do* get told by the Chair or Exec that you are not allowed to discuss things until it is made public. This really does mean that she could not say anything to you. However, when it was made public then she could have had a decent chat with you about it ... presuming she was aware that is was now public. I know of some tenders where people involved had kept quiet for weeks, only to find that a press announcement had already been made and they had not been told.

Don't forget to factor in the stupidity of committees into all this ... when it comes to keeping people informed, every presumes someone else is doing it!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    The 'group' that was set up to decide what was needed I believe included the head of IT here who, from my previous post, was the one who told us we can't know the bidders. Our input to this was asking the questions like 'what will our roles be, will we be at the school or roaming' etc. She asked the questions, got vague answers and then said she couldn't tell us those answers either.
    I fail to see how the working group can produce a realistic workable output specification in such a situation. Your BSF IT roll out is likely to be a disaster as a result. I suggest you don your tin hat and duck and cover.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast