+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
BSF Thread, ICT output specification document in United Kingdom (UK) Specific Forums; [quote="broc"] Originally Posted by Jimbo The recent TV news items about the $100 labtops in Africa will continue to fuel ...
    Thank Post

Re: ICT output specification document

[quote="broc"]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo
    The recent TV news items about the $100 labtops in Africa will continue to fuel the 1:1 student computer debate too.
    I'd love to see the look on their faces if we reimaged their PCs with the software that you get on the OLPC laptops. You can download a VMWare Player of it if you're interested.

The darlings might find it a tad limiting

Thank Post

I think the idea of the 1:1 ratio is that the students "own" the devices and can take them anywhere with them. These devices should be able to do most of the things that currently take place in an ict suit (how many lesson do I hear start with "now open word and type up...) and if the school has stock and one is faulty it can be swaped and then repaired. The students work being kept in an secure online MLE accessable from any internet enabled device.
    What is unlikely to be possible from these computers is : Video editing, Powerful Music Technology and other high end applications (CAD, 3d modeling etc). Any BSF spec that doesn't allow for deicated spaces to do these things is missing a large chunk of future learning. Personally I would strip out all printers/photocopiers and say that the school has to become a paperless office after all that has been talked about for well over TEN year and if accieved would probably save the school enough money to pay for an ICT technician to keep the rest of the stuff working. But I think marking online and not having handouts would be far to much of a futuristic school for most teachers

Thank Post

I have had a chance to play with various UMPC's and the new Eee PC but I have not come across a mobile device that is suitable for students with severe special needs. IE most of our students. The ammount of SEN peripherals we have attached to our PC's makes for a very messy and cluttered IT suite but never the less a functional one and one that (currently) meets the needs of our students.

Anyway, according to Becta a wireless setup is supposed to compliment, enhance and add flexibility to LAN. To my mind at least, ridding our schools of ICT suites is a very bad idea. There is nothing wrong with making the technology mobile; as long as it's applicable to the student and proper support is taken into account.

Anyway, back on track...Is anyone prepared to share their IT spec document?

Thank Post

In your output spec you shouldn’t be specifying technologies, rather specifying outputs that would require a certain technology to meet your needs.
    For example you shouldn’t specify a 10Gb Internet connection, you should be saying "an internet connection capable of allowing all computers simultaneous connection to the Internet with little or no obvious latency on load speeds."
    By stating certain technologies you are not giving an "output spec", more like and input spec.
    The output spec isn’t there for us to tell the bidders what technology we want, it is designed to be used to tell bidders what we want to achieve with the aid of technology.
    Hope this makes sense?

Thank Post

I agree, thanks for the advice.

As much as I'd love to detail exactly how our needs need to be met, I now understand thats not how it works.

I need to detail our requirements and the MSP will decide how best to go about it. Oh joy.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Tell them you need a citrus fruit that is round in shape and orange in colour. Will you get a tengerine or an orange?

Thank Post

I'll probably get a bloody banana!

Thank Post

Through BSF its more likely you would get a half complete banana, or a partially functioning banana.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Does this seem familiar?

Thank Post

Looks about right that webman. Except every LA is getting severl tree swings costing millions of £'s

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by broc
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimbo
    As regards our IT suites or lack of them and what we get instead I have no idea. I will be fighting the idea to rid us of IT suites tooth and nail.
    No IT suites means mobile computing, means saving space & cabling costs, or that's at least what we are being told. It might also mean the end of courses dedicated to teaching ICT as a subject.........

The Architects 'vision' for my school under BSF is no ICT rooms too, and no space for technicians or network manager either! The school and LA have a 'vision' (I call it a nightmare) of 1:1 ratio of computers to pupils; you could probably achieve it in technology terms using low cost Eee PCs as long as you ignore issues like safe storage in school, technical support, power management etc etc.

You can have some sport with the 'experts' when you discuss Becta recommendations for pupil:technician support ratios scaled up to one device per end user knowing that the game plan is to reduce the level of onsite support in schools as part of BSF.

The recent TV news items about the $100 labtops in Africa will continue to fuel the 1:1 student computer debate too.
    This is crazy... don't you have your ICT Senior Teaching Staff freaking out ?

My Boss would have thier heads with this type of stupidity... my Boss is proud of his 13 ICT suites..

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    Does this seem familiar?
    lol, Great stuff.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12