+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Books and Manuals Thread, Mark Minasi's Update to Mastering Server 2003 out soon. in Training and Courses; The SP1 and R2 update to the highly recommended Mastering Server 2003 by Mark Minasi is listed as being available ...
    Thank Post

Mark Minasi's Update to Mastering Server 2003 out soon.

The SP1 and R2 update to the highly recommended Mastering Server 2003 by Mark Minasi is listed as being available at the end of the month.

It a 744 page book so there should be plenty of material to get your teeth into.

For those of you who havent read one of his books its time you did. His writing style is very relaxed and easy to follow. It's almost like having a conversation with someone

Thank Post

Re: Mark Minasi's Update to Mastering Server 2003 out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH
    It's almost like having a conversation with someone
    Heh.. yeah someone you wish you could download their brain a la Matrix style!

Thanks for the heads up Chris... time to pre-order.

Thank Post

For those of you who havent read one of his books its time you did. His writing style is very relaxed and easy to follow. It's almost like having a conversation with someone

well said at least i do not have to have a IT dictionary next to me when i read a minasi book. He is also so witty as well!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by projector1

well said at least i do not have to have a IT dictionary next to me when i read a minasi book. He is also so witty as well!
    Yes he is would love to see one of his live seminars at least once.

Thank Post

The book is now showing as in stock at Amazon.
    Buy it through http://www.edugeek.net/index.php?name=Amazilla and put a bit of money back into edugeek

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Rete, im off to order it, shame its not an ebook though, the original is in ebook format for me, but hey ho, time to clear some more room on the bookshelf....

Mark Minasi is a gold mine waiting to be picked. For little nuggets. Or great big barrels of gold. You get the idea. lol.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by john
    Rete, im off to order it, shame its not an ebook though, the original is in ebook format for me, but hey ho, time to clear some more room on the bookshelf....
    I remember him saying somewhere about the fact everyone got hold of his book as a pdf without paying so wouldnt be releasing ti like that again I think.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

yeah ... he used to give out the books on CD as a PDF and the plug-in for acrobat was nobbled and people managed to get protection free copies.

I know it is not his doing but the protection system used is Windows only based ... so for a Mac User to by his book and want to have the eBook available it was a waste of money. I complained to the publisher and got told "tough ... what is the point in using a mac if you administer windows anyway" ... I was not happy.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    I complained to the publisher and got told "tough ... what is the point in using a mac if you administer windows anyway" ... I was not happy.
    Well they do have a point, you cannot manage an entire windows system off a Mac running MacOS can you?

As for it not being on PDF, it will be rete, just need to make some room on the bookshelf, and its a pain when working on various sites, having a laptop with a range of ebooks on it made it a lot easier than carrying a box of books with me, as despite being a good admin I cannot remember every single little thing in my head so the books are useful to have.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by john
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    I complained to the publisher and got told "tough ... what is the point in using a mac if you administer windows anyway" ... I was not happy.
    Well they do have a point, you cannot manage an entire windows system off a Mac running MacOS can you?
    Been doing it quite happily since 1999. Just because the machine I use on a day to day basis is a Mac it doesn't mean that it is the only machine I use ... and previously I had to stick the eBook plug-in on one of the servers so that I could access it (it was my own book since work didn't pay for it and I left it at home to use on my home systems whilst learning about NT/2000/xp/2003/etc).

Now, there is nothing I cannot do. I honestly cannot see the point in ever going back ... but it frustrates me that people think that to be an admin of a particular system you have to have that system as your bread and butter machine ... what about people running Novell or Unix?

As for it not being on PDF, it will be rete, just need to make some room on the bookshelf, and its a pain when working on various sites, having a laptop with a range of ebooks on it made it a lot easier than carrying a box of books with me, as despite being a good admin I cannot remember every single little thing in my head so the books are useful to have.
    But I hate having to cart a book around when I can have a series of eBooks, or a CD case with the Minasi books in there (along with all the usual CDsDVDs) instead ... it is more efficient.

I bought a subscription to O'Reilly's library to other year and found it to be a fantastic resource ... exactly what I needed ... but now I have moved onto the non-technical stuff I can't justify the money.

Thank Post

Ive never heard of O'Reilly's Library, is it a good resource then?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Just imagine every O'Reilly book ... in an online library ... that you can pick and choose from.

It is called Safari and you can have a 14 day trial (you signe up for it ... give it payment details etc and then cancel if you don't want to continue).

There are several subscription models ... pick one to suit you.

Thank Post

What a good idea, shame its so much $439+tax is a bit too much for me, I think its paper books for now....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    To be honest I have resubscribed at higher level as reason i stopped was due to having to be at computer as couldnt copy and paste and only get 5 downloads a month).

But at new level I can copy past my book (takes its time) and then carry it around with on my pda, on my computers or print it out.

As for price at 24 quid a month suppose look at it like this thats price of a book so if buy more than one book a month its good value..

@tony bcs memebership has access to simlair service that has some management books on it..

Russ

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast