+ Post New Thread
Blue Skies Thread, Chirp - data transfer in General; Interesting way to transfer data to multiple devices BBC News - Chirp app sends smartphone data via 'digital birdsong'...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Chirp - data transfer

Interesting way to transfer data to multiple devices BBC News - Chirp app sends smartphone data via 'digital birdsong'

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Technological fusion I made you a mixtape of MP3s to listen to on your phone

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,783 Times in 1,106 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is an interesting idea ... and perhaps the paranoid in me wants to get a lot more information about it. Thinking back to when bluetooth started to be more common in phones and the interesting messages you used to get (blue dogging is an interesting but NSFW example of why you *don't* leave your BT on and receiving all and sundry) I worry about how this could be abused. Initial advice would be 'wait and see' for any children and parent ... no doubt we will hear good and bad over the coming weeks.

Still ... I've loaded it on and will be going round chirping and see what happens.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The concern for me is the 'always listening' point. If its already listening to everything how hard would it be to abscond with some of that information for 'quality control' or 'service enhancement', I'm sure they'll want the location information to making for quite a little survealance wet dream. Just wait till one of those lovely larger companies buys this to enhance their 'offering'. Discussing coffee, perhaps your iPhone will just errantly choose that time to offer you a special deal. Start discussing how you are thinking about an Android phone, oops your phone just stopped being able to find electronics stores. No to meantion the battery life concerns. I'm not looking foward to my soundproof, watterproof case just to use it without an adstream.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread