+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Blue Skies Thread, "Vision for ICT" in General; CyberNerd: My comments were tongue-in-cheek. I'm not a fan of the 'box-ticking' language they use, but I envy you the ...
    Thank Post
    CyberNerd: My comments were tongue-in-cheek. I'm not a fan of the 'box-ticking' language they use, but I envy you the direction you've been handed here. You mention infrastructure: will you go for Gig to AP when looking at your wi-fi? Some significant spending to do there, but it's nice if they're willing to back up the statements with budget.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyJF View Post
    CyberNerd: My comments were tongue-in-cheek. I'm not a fan of the 'box-ticking' language they use, but I envy you the direction you've been handed here. You mention infrastructure: will you go for Gig to AP when looking at your wi-fi? Some significant spending to do there, but it's nice if they're willing to back up the statements with budget.
    I do hate the box ticking language as well; hence I felt the need to spell out the implications, or at least how I decipher it
    It has taken a long time for the school to come up with any vision; a lot of pestering from me, a really good lead ICT practitioner and the formation of a technology 'group' which the leadership team are part of . Previously we were just spending money without any real direction from the leadership team; we'd just put in technology that we felt was 'cool' and would help. Since we've had a development plan to work from things have improved immensely. It was also matched with more money, presumably because the leadership team had a better understanding through communication with what and why we were doing things.

The wi-fi is already in place, as we've been working towards this vision for some time now. Over half the AP's have gigabit connections and it is essential if there are 20-30 wifi connections per AP. The infrastructure aspect doesn't stop there, it also has impact on how you choose firewall,vlan,proxy solutions even down to the software that you support.

Thank Post
    Yes it's hard without clear guidance. It involves a lot of guess work otherwise, though we are currently in the middle of an infrastructure upgrade and will hopefully be able to cope with anything that comes our way. We only have some minor wi-fi areas at the moment and I've been planning towards the inevitability of that spreading and the implementation of BYOD - albeit in a limited way. Two years of budget priorities going elsewhere has stunted our development somewhat, but I hope to be back on track after next summer.

Thank Post
    This is good...it is the sort of stuff educators want to hear...even if they have no clue to what it really means....ie...BYOD....

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Yes, it is a lot of eduspeak but it is a clear vision for us as an IT department. I know where to focus resources as a result of this strategy. I'll try and break it down a bit for help of others, with our solutions. I'll omit the purely pedogoical stuff.

This bit is essential, if you look at things like FITS then a vision statement is essential. It helps massively when it comes to justifying the allocation of resources.

VLE - the most important thing you can do to enhance T+L from an iCT perspective. esp with respect to home access.
    In my estimation the network, (the switches wireing etc) is the most fundamental part of an ICT infrastructure. This is where resources should be directed.

This is essentially for marketing, Learning resources should reside on the VLE.

A huge implication for us as IT techs. BYOD means the user is in control, so we need to put in place safeguarding procedures and technology to implement this.

I need to make a wireless system that works on a ubiquity of devices, with applications that run at home and in school

essentially; staff need to use and be familiar with the same systems that student suse.

to ensure that students and staff can access learning resources on their own devices, the only way to ensure this is to use open standards - be it HTML, odf, pdf. Applications that only save to propriety formats will not be bought or installed on our systems.

Google docs is the only thing that we found that can fulfil the collaborative learning requirement, and 'cloud based' means it will work on BYOD

again, network is important; reliance on MS only and active directory, group policy is less so.

for us it meant we had to get a leased line outside of county support.

Thank Post
    The Vision for ICT must be compliment the Vision that has been prepared and agreed to by the School Executive/Board or whatever structure you have in place, and it must have support at this level (and by support I mean money!!!!)...
    Once the stakeholders in the school have all contributed to the grander Vision above, then you can create your Vision, which in perspective, is an ENABLER of the grander Vision...

It is important to not talk about specific technologies, but how technology as a tool can enable the Vision...(does this make sense).

btw...I do like the statement you created earlier and will use some of it when the time comes (my school looks like going down the BYOD path soon).

Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I do hate the box ticking language as well; hence I felt the need to spell out the implications, or at least how I decipher it
    It has taken a long time for the school to come up with any vision; a lot of pestering from me, a really good lead ICT practitioner and the formation of a technology 'group' which the leadership team are part of . Previously we were just spending money without any real direction from the leadership team; we'd just put in technology that we felt was 'cool' and would help. Since we've had a development plan to work from things have improved immensely. It was also matched with more money, presumably because the leadership team had a better understanding through communication with what and why we were doing things.

The wi-fi is already in place, as we've been working towards this vision for some time now. Over half the AP's have gigabit connections and it is essential if there are 20-30 wifi connections per AP. The infrastructure aspect doesn't stop there, it also has impact on how you choose firewall,vlan,proxy solutions even down to the software that you support.

Thank Post
    Hey there everyone. A big and somewhat delayed (Exchange 2007 issues have been taking up a lot of time over the last two weeks) thanks to everyone for providing some excellent ideas and suggestions. I managed to put something together and present it to senior management a couple of weeks ago.

More than one person suggested looking through the school’s development plan. This was a remarkable good and simple idea that I had overlooked. It turns out that ICT is absolutely key to a number of points on the plan, and closely tied to many others.

I ended up including 3 relatively specific and technical points as part of my presentation (Windows 7 Deployment, ongoing hardware replacements/lifecyles, mobile devices and VDI), and then included a general point about continuing to develop and improve ICT provision at the school. I then finished off by talking about the SIP, and how the points I had raised and ICT in general would help achieve this.

The presentation seemed to go down well, with some good feedback and questions at the end.

Thanks again to everyone for helping out with this!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12