+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Blue Skies Thread, How long is a piece of string? or an ICT tech Job in General; Very large Primary school, 2-form entry (but we have pupils coming and going all the time) anywhere between 1100-1200 pupils ...
    Thank Post
    Very large Primary school, 2-form entry (but we have pupils coming and going all the time) anywhere between 1100-1200 pupils depending on varying class sizes, 130ish staff members to support, almost everyone has a laptop, all of the 28 classrooms have IWB's & cameras & printers plus 4 more IWB's around the site, 6x laptop trolleys (with 2 more coming, at least), PC's in admin/finance/slt offices, trollies of ipads, 8 servers (in total over 500 'ICT devices' and still increasing) + an on-site nursery that I support their ICT for as well.

I work 37.5 hours per week, term-time only + 5 days in holidays at my discretion. I always end up putting in tons of overtime though, am basically here full-time in term of weeks of the year at this point.
    Last edited by Pete10141748; 22nd March 2012 at 12:38 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Medium sized secondary school around here, 800-900 pupils, 90-100 staff, all classrooms have projectors and tutor workstations including trolley units for the sports hall and another in the gym for rowing machine software. About 18 IWB's, 7x laptop trolleys 15 per set, dozen staff laptops, 4 ICT suites with 30 computers in each, other devices such as I-Pads, cameras, audio equipment, printers, 4 servers and over 350 computers in total + other devices, anything with a plug socket comes to mind sometimes or even something in a throwing distance of a computer should be under my watch.

Had a phone call earlier that a table leg had broke one of the in one of our largest computer room with 30 computers around the edge and several normal tables in the middle so it doubles as a normal classroom. IWB can be fairly time consuming with new software updates messing up settings and auto detection I have found on newer images but most stuff runs nicely. Curric DC due for renewal this summer plans still uncertain but is being worked on by the network manager. The number of devices is always increasing but pretty much all switchs are full, 35 laptops added in the last 6 months and requests from most departments for more desktops.

37 hours per week term time + 2 weeks
    Last edited by bondbill2k2; 22nd March 2012 at 01:52 PM.

Thank Post
    well, our campus of primary, plus secondary, plus sixthform, plus studio school, consisting of about 900 desktop pcs 100 laptops, about 200 assorted mobile devices. It keeps 2 techs, a helpdesk op and an NM busy. Techs are 8.30-4.30, NM is flexible to accomodate out of hours working, helpdesk lady is 8.30-4.30 term time only.

I usually work about 30mins to an hour a day extra, usually out of good will, mainly because i need some quiet time or i need to do something involving downtime. I also provide IT support for scheduled events out of hours, but i have to prearrange these and i don't always get paid for them, mainly i get time in lieu.

Any help?

Thank Post
    We work 37 hours a day.

Ok, that might be a week, but some days it doesnt seem it!

Thank Post
    At my last school we supported our local feeder schools as part of our technology college bid. Each of 8 schools got a half day per fortnight. Rarely did they need more than this, unless they'd just bought a heap of new kit that had to be unboxed and set up.

Thank Post
    From this post I've found there is no rule, every school is different and it seems to depend on what the school is prepared to pay for. I have had a discussion with my school and they have uped my hours to 10 a week - 2 hours everyday. But what is funny, now I'm there everyday teachers are asking for help with more things like can I come in and help with a KS1 ICT lesson? the more your there the more they want your help, the less your there the more self-reliant they have to be.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,945 Times in 1,345 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
    the more your there the more they want your help, the less your there the more self-reliant they have to be.
    Alternatively: The less you're there, the more they need you for technical things.

The longer you're there, the less everything breaks. [Which makes it hard to justify the hours.]

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12