+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Blue Skies Thread, Teachers and Laptops in General; I will add we gave the laptops away to staff - installed XP (as they where licensed for it) on ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    I will add we gave the laptops away to staff - installed XP (as they where licensed for it) on them and the likes of open office etc anything which is freely available.

Thank Post
    We used to provide laptops to staff on a three year cycle. That was just about right, but obviously a strain on finances. Recent budgetary issues meant that SLT changed this to replacing them only when they were damaged beyond economical repair. Less than two years on and that is starting to catch up on us in several ways. I don't want increasingly older and slower machines on the network, so I'd rather go back to replacing them regularly or putting desktops in classrooms. However, I have to be realistic and accept that finances can't always be found or, indeed, spent wisely. Problem is, people expect a 5 year old laptop to work as well as it did out of the box. Well, 1Gb RAM was fine back then, but not much use now.

Thank Post
    I would love us to move to a station in every class and some spread around offices. Since 2002 we have provided staff with laptops and when you are a large-ish school it becomes very expensive and hard to sustain. We moved from a 3 year cycle of replacement to 4 year, with the ones that drop off the line becoming spares, laptops for temp staff, and then on to standalones used by some tutor groups. However, I have always disputed the need to provide them, and continue to do so. I think it's interesting when you see new built academies how few of them opt for this solution. Laptops for Teachers has a lot to answer for, because whilst it provided them, it never catered for their replacements. We took the plunge before LfT, but I've yet to see a genuinely convincing argument that proves the case for such an arrangement.

Thank Post
    The previous tech team where i am placed laptops in each room but we have now put desktops in and for the most part the responce has beeen postive as the desktops are alot faster and they looka bit more profestional. SLT & Heads of dept get given a laptop that can be used how they want at work or home. the old laptops will be offered to staff for a small contribution.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    All of our teaching staff has laptops (six buildings, 250 teachers in total) and it has been a lot better than I though it would be. Accidental damage does occur, but not that often. We haven't needed to replace as many parts as I though we would either. The real kicker though is the machines just went out of warranty last month and I'm sure batteries will start dropping like flies anytime now. This is going to get expensive very quickly.

Thank Post
    We have been running our teachers laptops for the last five years, some of them have been through five or six different users. When we upgraded them to seven a couple of summers ago we just made sure they had a good size drive and 2gb memory which for general use is ok. The only problems we have is dying batteries, psu damage, broken screens and water spills but very small number of those. But we have the dilemma of when to retire these and upgrade.. we have a few grumbles from teachers moaning about wanting new laptops but as soon as I ask them to justify why they magically disappear. the software hasn't really changed so why should the spec need to change.

Thank Post
    I'm sure batteries will start dropping like flies anytime now. This is going to get expensive very quickly.
    My attitude is <3 years and no chance of imminent laptop replacement - replace battery - usually about £40 - value for money - I always suceeed in getting this approved

>4 years old - don't

grey area in-between

Simon

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    how can a professional employer expect their workers to their jobs without providing them with the tools to do it.
    Because the workers already have the tools? 99% of PGCE students I see already have their own laptop, an iPad (or both!). If they already have these before they become a proper teacher, why does the employer need to provide them with yet another computer?

... smartphones, laptops and other such regalia as necessities of the job. They're tools--tools that you bring to the job so that you can perform your duties as assigned. Your employer doesn't purchase a car for you but you need one to get to and from work. They don't supply you a pair of shoes, yet you're required to wear them to the office. (Source)

Thank Post
    Teachers driving round in 30 to 40 grand range rovers and have the cheek to ask for a laptop.

Thank Post
    Well in the year since I started the thread things have moved on a bit.

We haven't replaced any laptops but we have offered staff iPads instead but the uptake has been pretty poor, which did surprise me a bit. All classrooms have desktop computers which are attached the IWB etc, and we are placing more in staffrooms and department offices which seems to be well received.

I think the laptops will die a death of a thousand cuts as staff realise that they aren't going to be replaced no matter how much they complain to their HODs! I for one will be glad to see the back of them.

Thank Post
    Our school hasn't given staff laptops for some years now - we have a desktop in every classroom and several in faculty offices, as well as remote access from home and so felt the need just wasn't there.

Thank Post

They're tools--tools that you bring to the job so that you can perform your duties as assigned.
    As a school, you decide what each worker provides - this is a decision - they can do what they want

My daughter goes to work in a pub, she has to wear shoes and she has to get there

She doesn't have to provide a top -the pub chain do - she doesn't have to take anything else.

This is pretty much standard practice - you get to work - your work provides you with the tools to do the job
    in my previous job - I had to get to work - I then had to get up 1000ft hills - they provided me with a 4Wheel drive vehicle and a laptop and a mobile and a hard hat and overalls and protective shoes.

Decide what you want your workers to do and don't make them spend their own money on doing your work for you

Simon

Thank Post
    Cost of laptop - £150-£200 a year
    Cost of employing teacher £20K -£40K per year

Simon

Thank Post
    At my two scbools, one taken decision to not provide and the other to provide.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Cost of laptop - £150-£200 a year
    Cost of employing teacher £20K -£40K per year

Simon
    I think employing a teacher probably starts at around £40k once you have taken all the other costs like pensions, NI etc!

I can see both sides of the argument regarding working at home. If you want staff to work at home then they should be provided with the tools. After all if they only have one computer at home then its going to be unfair on the rest of the family to monopolise it doing school work. Plus there is the whole issue of keeping sensitive data on home computers and so on.

On the other side there is the whole home/worklife balance thing and encouraging staff to work at home could tilt that the wrong way, even though there are probably plenty of them who would prefer to go home and work rather than stay on and complete it. An idea that has been mooted is a loan laptop scheme where staff can book out a laptop for up to a week and take it home.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast