+ Post New Thread
Blue Skies Thread, epub3 and removing computers from schools. in General; Is it just me or is the lack of epub 3 support in the book readers stopping electronic text books ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

epub3 and removing computers from schools.

Is it just me or is the lack of epub 3 support in the book readers stopping electronic text books really being possible?

Imaging ibooks with with full epub3 support, syncing notes etc to icloud. Perhaps with icloud accounts being pre-staged out of OD for the teachers and learners. With roaming profiles in IOS.

Allow the external display trick that currently only apple employes giving keynote speeches can do..

Then provide a DoE/YPLA approved financing option, you could pretty much say good bye to pcs for most use cases in schools. Instead of schools buying 100+ PCs each year they's buy 90+ ipads instead, and a few PCs for the 'information workers' and video edit suites.

What I'd really love is that for these to be predictions of events unfolding this year, rather than remain ephemeral hopes.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you ever tried to edit a photo, compose a letter or do a spreadsheet on a tablet for a day? Desktop PC's won't be going anywhere for a bit yet, unless they are replaced by something else with a keyboard and mouse. In a school, everyone is an 'information worker' IMHO.

3. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

SYNACK (8th January 2012)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Have you ever tried to edit a photo, compose a letter or do a spreadsheet on a tablet for a day? Desktop PC's won't be going anywhere for a bit yet, unless they are replaced by something else with a keyboard and mouse. In a school, everyone is an 'information worker' IMHO.
    Both our Head of ICT and our ICT lead practitioner seem to think it's possible to replace desktops with tablets; at least in ICT lessons. Online office apps (google) are at least up to whats needed for GCSE. There will need to be some curriculum changes to support this strategy, but I think it is possible. Not necessarily to replace all desktop computers - I reckon we could ditch 80% though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And they thought RSI/OOS/whatever they are calling it now was an issue with keyboards, this is going to turn into a big health issue too promoting shocking posture and worse ergonomics. Hopefully the march towards everyone being apple approved brainwashed media consumers is still a way off.

I do find picturing the results amusing though, just imagine the hunched groaning (in pain at atanding up straightish) hands knarled with degeneration and rendered speachless without their little healper to tell them what to think. Zombie movies are just slightly distorted views of such a future after the loss of power or something. Helpless damaged creatures in the unending search for an increasingly limmited supply of 'BRAINNNNS. BRAINS...'

/+5, Funny with a hint of +2 insightful (at least on /.)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,194 Times in 1,006 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I think any member of staff who proposes such a thing should be made to operate solely on a tablet device for a week. Then we'll see just how feasable they think it is.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 8th January 2012 at 07:24 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I think any member of staff who proposes such a thing should be made to operate solely on a tablet device for a week. Then we'll see just how feasable they think it is.
    Don't get me wrong, they've been doing that - with a lot of success I might add.
    Bear in mind that (even ICT ) teachers use computers a hell of a lot less than office workers using ICT 8hrs a day.
    Luckily students are not covered by health and safety at work legislation, as they are not at work

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I really believe that for most classroom uses by students tablets are the right form factor. I'm not sure how they are any worse for posture than books?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by psydii View Post
    I really believe that for most classroom uses by students tablets are the right form factor. I'm not sure how they are any worse for posture than books?
    Writing with a pen (at right angles to the arm) is a lot less stressfull than typing and hunching foward or holding it in one hand and typing with the other. Laptops are bad enough for posture and they allow you to sit up straighter and just crane the neck which is still bad and causes injury long term. Not even bringing eye strain into the mix, you'll be spending more time with your eyes fighting their own focus looking at an LCD with its illumination source behind the crystal matrix that you need to focus on along with the quick half focus switches to your fingers. With no physical cues you need to be looking all the time.

None of these problems have been fully solved in the big computer world and now the idea is to concentrate and make worse many of these into one long running device then force growing children to use them more and more.

From a health point of view which I was sure mattered at some point in the past these things should at least be addressed instead of loarded as a feature. Crippling kids for the future? Seems like an odd aim. How many years of this will it take for appropriate guidelines and consideration to be given to this. There are all sorts of computer apps (mandating rest periods) and accessories ergo chairs, keyboards, mice, its even its own field. Pushing everything to the tablet opens up huge possibility for injury, worse than before.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 9th January 2012 at 12:54 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I agree, manually writing notes long hand as a pedagogical tool has no peer.

Tablets provide access to online and interactive resources and collaboration environments, these can extend beyond the bricks and mortar of the classroom. They are about the same size a a text book and can sit along side one far more easily than a desktop PC or Laptop. Outside of 'technology' lessons this is how most ICT is used by students/teachers in classrooms.

It is this aspect that gives them the potential to replace most desktops and laptops in schools, and hence my hope for epub3 which offers a far better set of standards for the publishing of textbooks electronically.

Interesting that there are ICT Teachers thinking about replacing computers with tablets in their lessons... they would be one of the few places I'd expect to see the full blown PC remaining in ten years time...
    Last edited by psydii; 10th January 2012 at 06:23 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Here we go, as if by magic some doctor has decided to do a write up on it:
    The hidden danger of touchscreens | Laptops - InfoWorld

Tablets as extra devices to augment learning rather than wholesale replacement is the only sensible solution for the moment.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Meh. Do some exercise, run around bait, stretch, think about your posture.

I really don't see how these things are any worse than books etc previously. I mean before computers most people were in a manual job. Some working with machines or bent double in the fields. Spinal problems have always been an issue - poor design by nature for our current technology supported world.

Have you seen how kids tend to sit in textbook based lessons? Their posture when using ICT I can be textbook perfect by comparison!

A couple of PE sessions a week with a focus on activities to educate about posture, and develop core strength and people will be fine. The adult's can do pilates or some sport.

NDW

Thank Post
    how about the asus transformer prime? has a detacheble keyboard - 18Hours battery life

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread