+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
Blue Skies Thread, Chrome will bring about the ICT revolution in schools in General; Originally Posted by CyberNerd google education apps accounts allow you to all these things. Good to know ta Can you ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    google education apps accounts allow you to all these things.
    Good to know ta

Can you restrict users logging into personal accounts on the school machine for example?

Thank Post
    Gshaw that is my point, i wouldn't dare say jump on the bandwagon of something new, because it's new.

Technology is becoming more mobile i dont think anyone could argue with that? A device like this is, i believe, a step forward. Is it the answer, no i dont think so. But to right it off before it's even released is a little backwards.

Who isn't to say that this device leads onto another which everyone suddenly thinks is the answer. Reading through articles with the increasing amount of large international companies moving to Cloud, SaaS or PaaS, surely we in education cannot ignore this on the basis of "this is how it's been for 10 years"? Yes it's new tech and isn't mature but that doesn't mean it's not the future. We will need new devices to make the most of this change, something like the Chromebooks are a step towards it.

I was going to answer LiamH post but Cybernerd beat me to it. We use Google Eduction and have no problems keeping an eye on the students, or staff.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    probably. depends on how your SSO works, for example you could conceivabley block the google sign on page and redirect to an inhouse single sign on gateway.
    wont help with 3g though

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.81 View Post
    Gshaw that is my point, i wouldn't dare say jump on the bandwagon of something new, because it's new.

Technology is becoming more mobile i dont think anyone could argue with that? A device like this is, i believe, a step forward. Is it the answer, no i dont think so. But to right it off before it's even released is a little backwards.
    Fair points and I think you've successfully distanced yourself from Spannerman's over-excitable posting and into a much more reasoned and logical discussion

5. Thanks to gshaw from:

dave.81 (27th May 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw
    The danger is that once you move your infrastructure away you won't get it back due to the costs of starting again from scratch so if Google one day decides it's got enough market share and hikes the prices up... what can you do then?.
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw
    My point is around the Cloud model as a whole, regardless of whether that provider is Google, Microsoft, Amazon or anyone else.

Understood. I was making the point that it is the same situation in all walks of IT, cloud based or not.
    I recall when MS used to give away TSCals for free with windows 2000/XP - until enough people started using it then there was a massive price hike ( £10 extra for a TS Cal on a £30 windows license for a school) There are countless other example such as when Capita force an MS Office/MSSQL/Windows upgrade

Unless you insist on open standards in your procurement process there is always a risk that your data isn't in your hands or that you will be forced to part with more money to access it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dave.81 View Post
    ...snip... Electronic voting systems, now there is a waste of money, whats wrong with a show of hands? But cloud based use a shared spreadsheet or questionnaire not difficult. ...snip...
    It depends, I've seen them used ok, It depends on who is using them (eg: you need staff willing to learn how to use them) and where you are using them.

I've seen them used in computer rooms or rooms where everyone has a laptop and that already had the same site open (the VLE), to me that is just pointless in time, equipment and money, there are already systems and programs that let you ask a question and display the "quizzer" on the computer/webpage instead of needing to play around with additional hardware. But i've seen them used successfully in non computer rooms where there is just a terminal and projector for the teacher so the students could interact and it worked well.

So overall it just depends who is willing to learn how to use them and then want to implement them into their teaching.

(I prefer the software solutions because you don't need to worry about losing them, no issues with batteries and such)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Understood. I was making the point that it is the same situation in all walks of IT, cloud based or not.
    I recall when MS used to give away TSCals for free with windows 2000/XP - until enough people started using it then there was a massive price hike ( £10 extra for a TS Cal on a £30 windows license for a school) There are countless other example such as when Capita force an MS Office/MSSQL/Windows upgrade

Unless you insist on open standards in your procurement process there is always a risk that your data isn't in your hands or that you will be forced to part with more money to access it.
    Indeed, although in this case it's similar in a way to the BSF scenario in that once servers go it's very costly to start again in-house if for whatever reason the Cloud system doesn't live up to expectations i.e. new servers, SANs and so on... doubt many places will have that kind of money in bulk again so the local > cloud conversion could be a one-way street.

That said it could be one-way street you don't need to travel back down, using trends from the past I'd say it will probably go a similar way to server virtualisation... the brave (and cash rich) people will be the early adopters and iron out the bugs then once it's proven and reliable it filters down to be accessible to more people as a standard solution. That for me is the point when you make the jump as there's some precedent there to learn from and you move onto the new platform confident in what it can do (and any issues you need to work around).

Interesting points about the voting kits actually, they have always been for me at the more frivolous end of technology but the idea of using them successfully in a rooms with only a single PC is a good idea

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Fair points and I think you've successfully distanced yourself from Spannerman's over-excitable posting and into a much more reasoned and logical discussion
    Indeed!!..many thanks to all of you who have picked up this ball and run with it..I've learnt some interesting stuff reading all the posts..apologies for being a bit excitable, I don't do 'balanced'

10. 2 Thanks to spannerman2:

dave.81 (31st May 2011), teejay (31st May 2011)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We bought an electronic voting system, I nearly laughed at the idea of them. They were used a few times and I haven't seen them surface for years.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by spannerman2 View Post
    Indeed!!..many thanks to all of you who have picked up this ball and run with it..I've learnt some interesting stuff reading all the posts..apologies for being a bit excitable, I don't do 'balanced'
    We like to be challenged and I do qute enjoy your blog, the only thing that grates on it is the negative attitude to ICT Technicians that you have, seeing them as the barrier to change and a hindrance.
    As you can see from this thread, we do embrace change, the problem is most of us have had expensive change enforced on us by SLT/LEA/Consultants that has turned into a complete failure for the simple reason they didn't bother to talk to school ICT Technicians/Network Managers in the early stages of planning the project. This has left most of us battle scarred and with a slight twitch

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 2,000 Posts
    iFixit have taken a brand new Samsung ChromeBook apart...

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Samsu...eardown/5939/1

14. Thanks to Arthur from:

dhicks (9th June 2011)

Thank Post
    Researchers poke gaping holes in Google Chrome OS

Google has billed its Chrome operating system as a security breakthrough that's largely immune to the threats that have plagued traditional computers for decades. With almost nothing stored on its hard drive and no native applications, there's no sensitive data that can pilfered and it can't be commandeered when attackers exploit common software vulnerabilities.

But according to two researchers who spent the past few months analyzing the Chrome-powered Cr-48 beta released in December, the browser-based OS is vulnerable to many of the same serious attacks that afflict people surfing websites. As a result, users remain susceptible to exploits that can intercept email, documents, and passwords stored on centralized servers, many of which are maintained by Google.

“Even though they put these awesome security protections in place, we're just moving the security problems to the cloud now,” Matt Johansen, a researcher with WhiteHat Security, told The Register. “We're moving the software security problem that we've been dealing with forever to the cloud. They're doing a lot of things right, but it's not the end all and be all for security.”

Virtually all of the threats identified by Johansen and his WhiteHat colleague Kyle Osborn stem from Chrome's reliance on extensions, which are essentially web-based applications. A fair number of the extensions they analyzed contain XSS, or cross-site scripting, bugs, which have the potential to inject malicious code and content into a visitor's browser and in some cases steal credentials used to authenticate user accounts.

16. Thanks to Arthur from:

AngryTechnician (4th August 2011)

Thank Post
    Google Now Lets Businesses & Schools Buy Chromebooks Without Subscriptions

Google announced today that its business and educational customers now have a second option for purchasing its new Chrome OS-powered laptops: upfront pricing, sans subscription. Previously, Chromebooks were only available to these institutions by way of a 3-year commitment. That plan didn’t fit in well with some organization’s yearly budget cycle, says Google.

Now, those customers can choose whether to buy Chromebooks on a subscription basis or just pay for the laptops up front.

The new option provides schools and businesses with access to the Web-based administration console for Chromebook management, phone support and hardware warranty coverage. After the first year, customers can opt to pay a monthly fee for management access and support.

The new prices are as follows:

Education:
    • 1-Year Upfront: $449 (Wi-Fi), $519 (3G)
    • Years 2-3: $5/month per Chromebook for management & support

Business:
    • 1-Year Upfront: $559 (Wi-Fi), $639 (3G)
    • Years 2-3: $13/month per Chromebook for management & support

In addition, Google says the management console itself has been updated, too, with better deployment, customization and asset management options, including integration with Group Policy and the ability to track Chromebook shipments.

Thank Post
    It appears that not a lot of people are buying ChromeBooks in the UK. Google are currently selling around 2,000 per month.

The latest reports we’ve seen, show that Google Chromebooks have now sold over 10,000 units in the UK. In total. (Source)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,476 Times in 1,919 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    It appears that not a lot of people are buying ChromeBooks in the UK. Google are currently selling around 2,000 per month.
    Not surprised. They're overpriced for what they offer.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast