+ Post New Thread
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6121314151617 LastLast
Blue Skies Thread, Chrome will bring about the ICT revolution in schools in General; ^ PC sales have also declined because people are perfectly happy with the computers they purchased within the last four ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ^ PC sales have also declined because people are perfectly happy with the computers they purchased within the last four years (or more). There isn't any need to replace them!
    Absolutely. Hardly any analysts seem to understand this point from what I've seen.

SPM

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Chromebooks do NOT account for 21% of all laptops sold in the U.S or globally. You have made the same mistake a lot of incompetent bloggers and journalists made.
    Sorry, I should have said "all laptops sampled". NPD reported that out of US business to businesses resellers who sold a total of 14 million devices (laptops, desktops, tablets) in 2013 (not all but about a third of the total US market) and 21% of laptops sold and 9.6% of devices sold were Chromebooks compared to Windows which made up 34% of the laptops sold. I am pretty astounded that 21% of business to business laptop sales were Chromebooks - I would have expected consumer laptops to perhaps be around this amount based on Currys PC World's reports last year that 10% of their computer sales were Chromebooks, but I was surprised about business to business sales figures.

What is not included in this number is direct OEM sales (as in Dell direct, Google Play store, Apple Store), nor any consumer sales (through outlets like Amazon online sales Best Buy and Staples retail sales etc).

The mistake you and some others are making is to assume that consumer sales and direct sales of Chromebooks are zero. It is not zero, and the numbers there will be significant too. The other mistake people make is to look at web counter stats and equate them with sales. They are actually measuring two completely different things - the first is the number of existing users (and web stats can also show considerable bias), and the second is the number of newly sold devices.

In other words total number of Chromebooks sold in US is greater than 14 million x 9.6% you estimated since
    Amazon online sales Best Buy and Staples retail sales etc. sold more than zero chromebooks. The numbers sold to consumers is not published, but I would suspect they are significant and somewhat similar to those sold by the business to business resellers since Chromebooks are essentially for casual users. Indeed I was surprised by the numbers apparently sold to businesses. I can only surmise that businesses are using them as thin clients.

The other mistake you and others are making is to call world sales of Chromebooks low and suggest it is struggling. World sales are low because Chromebooks have only been marketed in US and UK, and only very recently have shipments to 6 more countries started. On top of that, even in the US and UK, availability in retail stores has been limited for most of the year, so effectively what we have had is test marketing of Chromebooks by Google. If Chromebooks can score 21% of business to business laptops sales, and possibly a similar number in consumer sales with limited retail availability and low key advertising, then I wouldn't say Chromebooks are struggling.

Global PC sales have regressed to the same levels as in 2009 (which was 305.9 million globally). I don't see this as a bad thing since sales can't increase year-on-year indefinitely. Hopefully it will give PC manufacturers a much needed kick up the arse too.
    It certainly has done that - all the main PC OEMs are now making custom designed Chromebooks - Acer, HP, Lenovo, Toshiba, Samsung, LG, Asus, and even Dell which has been given a $1 billion loan by Microsoft, presumably to push Windows and presumably with strings attached. HP and others are also experimenting with Android PCs, and dual Android/Windows devices, and all are getting into ARM based Android tablets.

^ PC sales have also declined because people are perfectly happy with the computers they purchased within the last four years (or more). There isn't any need to replace them!
    I concur with this, and when they need to buy an additional or new device, they keep the Windows machine, and buy a new tablet or Chromebook instead. Why throw away your old machine if it still works, and especially if you prefer them to the new Windows machines on offer with Windows 8 on them.
    Last edited by SPM; 12th January 2014 at 12:29 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I was leaning toward becoming enthusiastic about Apple till it decided to push out Maverick and IOS 7. Since they arrived iPads been iffy and had a least one Mac loose the plot completely. New out the box MacBook Pro lost OS on upgrade and had to take it to a Genius bar for restore. Most annoyingly in school our wonderful value and in my opinion 'Perfect' Air Servers have had to upgrade to allow teachers to use IOS 7 'upgraded' iPads but on SmartBoards with 'older' PCs no longer works now because the graphics aren't good enough for the upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    You lot must live in an interesting world, I have never seen a Google ad on TV, even the Microsoft ones are scares, the only company bashing my retinas in is crApple.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    I was leaning toward becoming enthusiastic about Apple till it decided to push out Maverick and IOS 7. Since they arrived iPads been iffy and had a least one Mac loose the plot completely. New out the box MacBook Pro lost OS on upgrade and had to take it to a Genius bar for restore. Most annoyingly in school our wonderful value and in my opinion 'Perfect' Air Servers have had to upgrade to allow teachers to use IOS 7 'upgraded' iPads but on SmartBoards with 'older' PCs no longer works now because the graphics aren't good enough for the upgrade.
    I would advise using a little less haste in jumping to upgrading to the latest OS releases from ANY vendor or else you will suffer pain. It is one thing to do this for the individual consumer where the odds of something going wrong are much less and the repercussions small, but to do it an a corporate or education environment without adequate testing is...well...not recommended. Your issues seem to be somewhat self inflicted.

I don't even rollout updates for Linux (of all things that are probably least likely to break) without some prior testing and research (known issues, etc.) and taking snapshots and testing some more after updating to make sure all is rosy. I have experienced software bugs in almost every system I have ever used at some point that caused serious issues or required a rollback (firewall, switch, wireless controller, Solaris, Linux, windows, Mac, iOS, vSphere, Citrix, FileMaker, SQL Server, Ghost, AV systems, Photoshop...you name it). Always proceed with caution with major updates, I don't care who they are from.
    Last edited by seawolf; 12th January 2014 at 10:00 AM.

5. Thanks to seawolf from:

speckytecky (12th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,771 Posts
    Last edited by Arthur; 4th February 2014 at 08:03 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by seawolf View Post
    I would advise using a little less haste in jumping to upgrading to the latest OS releases from ANY vendor or else you will suffer pain. It is one thing to do this for the individual consumer where the odds of something going wrong are much less and the repercussions small, but to do it an a corporate or education environment without adequate testing is...well...not recommended. Your issues seem to be somewhat self inflicted.

I don't even rollout updates for Linux (of all things that are probably least likely to break) without some prior testing and research (known issues, etc.) and taking snapshots and testing some more after updating to make sure all is rosy. I have experienced software bugs in almost every system I have ever used at some point that caused serious issues or required a rollback (firewall, switch, wireless controller, Solaris, Linux, windows, Mac, iOS, vSphere, Citrix, FileMaker, SQL Server, Ghost, AV systems, Photoshop...you name it). Always proceed with caution with major updates, I don't care who they are from.
    Thats a matter of opinion. We rolled out 8, Server 2012 and Office 2013 within 2 weeks of launch across our school.
    8.1 is now everywhere. Pupils love it. Staff love it (after the initial shock! ). Even our 5 year old laptops love it! No drawbacks whatsoever. On 8 we used oblytile to brighten things up a bit as people complained it was "a bit dull". Now we just leave 8.1 to manage the tiles. Deduplication in server 2012 is amazing. To be fair, we did the same with 7 and server 2008 with no issues either.

The way I see it is that schools should be at the bleeding edge wherever possible. If you buy a consumer laptop now, its at least win8, pointless using the older os in school when its outdated for home use.
    Luckily, we have a head who is supportive and trusts us to just get on with it and the staff have to "adapt or die" Harsh but effective

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john2k5 View Post
    Thats a matter of opinion. We rolled out 8, Server 2012 and Office 2013 within 2 weeks of launch across our school.
    8.1 is now everywhere. Pupils love it. Staff love it (after the initial shock! ). Even our 5 year old laptops love it! No drawbacks whatsoever. On 8 we used oblytile to brighten things up a bit as people complained it was "a bit dull". Now we just leave 8.1 to manage the tiles. Deduplication in server 2012 is amazing. To be fair, we did the same with 7 and server 2008 with no issues either.

The way I see it is that schools should be at the bleeding edge wherever possible. If you buy a consumer laptop now, its at least win8, pointless using the older os in school when its outdated for home use.
    Luckily, we have a head who is supportive and trusts us to just get on with it and the staff have to "adapt or die" Harsh but effective
    Well, I certainly can't fault your attitude or courage. However, wisdom is not really a matter of opinion, but based on hard earned experience, and learning from that experience and the advice of others with greater experience and knowledge.

If you think that being on the bleeding edge is always going to end in sunshine with 100s and 1000s sprinkled on top, you are in for a rude awakening. Continue on that path and you will suffer the wrath of users and your sanity in the foreseeable future.

Count yourself lucky that things appear to have gone so well this time around, but understand that it would be foolish to believe that string of luck will continue forever. Ignore this advice at your own peril.

9. Thanks to seawolf from:

zag (5th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Chromebox for meetings, a $999 video conferencing system from Google « Ars Technica

Google is expanding its line of Chrome hardware for business users with "Chromebox for meetings," a video conferencing system that costs $999 and up.

While the system is powered by the free Google Hangouts, $999 isn't expensive when it comes to enterprise-class video conferencing hardware. Google's offering includes a Chromebox, an HD camera, a microphone and speaker, and a remote control. A display is not included.

11. 3 Thanks to Arthur:

Mr.Ben (7th February 2014), sparkeh (7th February 2014), zag (7th February 2014)

Thank Post
    More Chromeboxes on the way. This time from HP.

HP To Release Its First Chromebox This Spring « OMG! Chrome!

The HP Chromebox is due for release ‘later this spring’ and will, like its rival, be made available in a range of configurations, likely to be Haswell Celeron-based. HP has said that one version will include a powerful 4th generation Intel Core i7 processor.

Three USB 3.0 ports, HDMI and DisplayPort adapters, and a VESA wall mount will feature as standard across the range.

In a nod to their Chromebook line-up, four different coloured designs will be available, all with obligatory cringe-worthy names: Smoke Silver, Ocean Turquoise, Snow White and Twinkle Black.

HP say that the all-new devices will suit home and business users alike.

^ Why can't HP make Windows PCs that look like the Chromeboxes above instead of hideous black glossy plastic towers?
    Last edited by Arthur; 7th February 2014 at 05:09 PM.

Thank Post
    More Chromeboxes on the way. This time from HP.

HP To Release Its First Chromebox This Spring « OMG! Chrome!

^ Why can't HP make Windows PCs that look like the Chromeboxes above instead of hideous black glossy plastic towers?
    intel nuc gigabyte brix (intending to get a nuc soon as theres a new one that takes msata and 2.5" sata so msata ssd boot big 2.5" data drive

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    intel nuc gigabyte brix
    Indeed, but neither of those are made by HP.

HPs non-business Windows PCs just look awful IMO.

Thank Post
    Indeed, but neither of those are made by HP.

HPs non-business Windows PCs just look awful IMO.
    could you buy one of those and install windows its still x86 hardware?

Thank Post
    could you buy one of those and install Windows. It's still x86 hardware?
    The stripped-down BIOS used on ChromeOS devices won't boot Windows, and even if it did, you would still need the correct drivers.

I think you can install Linux though...

Last edited by Arthur; 7th February 2014 at 06:41 PM.

Thank Post
    could you buy one of those and install windows its still x86 hardware?
    It's funny, many of the comments on another site that featured Chromeboxes was how good they'd with Windows or XBMC installed... no-one was excited for ChromeOS

Still wonder when / how Google are planning on merging ChromeOS with Android as the amount of overlap is crazy between the two products.

Thank Post
    VMware to Bring Traditional Windows Apps and Desktops to Chromebooks « Official Google Enterprise Blog

Today, customers can fully embrace the cloud with Chromebooks using VMware Horizon™ DaaS®. VMware and Google are working together to make the migration of legacy applications even easier, by using the HTML5/Blast experience from Chromebooks. This means you can work with Chromebooks and connect to a Windows experience running VMware™ Horizon View.

As the countdown to Windows XP end of life continues, deploying Chromebooks and taking advantage of a DaaS environment ensures that security vulnerabilities, application compatibility and migration budgets will be a thing of the past.

VMware Horizon DaaS enables customers to centralize other desktop environments and manage these as a cloud service. Initially available to customers as an on-premise service or by VMware vCloud Service Provider Partners (VSPPs) offering DaaS in the cloud or within hybrid deployments. Users will be able to access their Windows applications, data and desktops using VMware’s Blast HTML5 technology to their Chromebook.

This technology is available now by bringing together VMware Horizon View 5.3 and Chromebooks as an on-premise service and will be available soon as an application that can be installed from the Chrome Web Store.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread