+ Post New Thread
Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast
Blue Skies Thread, Chrome will bring about the ICT revolution in schools in General; Microsoft Should Be Worried About Google’s Chromebooks | TechCrunch...
    zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,387 Times in 1,767 Posts
    Dell is making a Chromebook designed for schools.

Come tomorrow, Dell will take the wraps off of its very first Chromebook, which has been dubbed the Dell Chromebook 11. Specifics are scant at the moment, but we do know that the laptop (which will likely have an 11-inch display) has been designed for use in schools. Fret not Chrome OS fans who no longer have recess to brighten your day, the company is expected to announce Chromebooks for businesses and the Average Joe next year. (Source)

Thank Post
    Given the choice I'd rather have an Android tablet with a keyboard than a Chromebook, Android is arguably more flexible with a wider range of apps and has the benefit of touchscreen for less money. Will the two ever converge or is there some sort of phone = Android, laptop = ChromeOS strategy going on for the long-term?

Agree Microsoft are in trouble if they can't hit back with a similarly priced quality Windows 8 Pro tablet \ laptop hybrid. They haven't managed since Win8's release and they're running out of time at this rate now Google are getting more aggressive with the Chromebook marketing \ sales drive.
    Last edited by gshaw; 11th December 2013 at 01:15 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gshaw View Post
    Given the choice I'd rather have an Android tablet with a keyboard than a Chromebook, Android is arguably more flexible with a wider range of apps and has the benefit of touchscreen for less money.
    Why not have both? An Android tablet and a touchscreen Chromebook? The best of both worlds!

Android is arguably more flexible
    Except when it comes to multi-tasking, which sucks on Android. Even simple things like writing posts with lots of links and quotes involves too much faffing about in the EduGeek Android app.

Will the two ever converge
    Android will be able to run Chrome packaged apps apps early next year, although the two OSs won't be converging any time soon.

The picture may look different a year or two from from now, but in the short term, we have Android and we have Chrome, and we are not changing course. (Source)
    Microsoft are in trouble if they can't hit back with a similarly priced quality Windows 8 Pro tablet/laptop hybrid.
    What's wrong with the Bay Trail hybrid's like the Asus Transformer Book T100 and why do consumers need the Pro version of Windows 8.1?

they're running out of time at this rate now Google are getting more aggressive with the Chromebook marketing/sales drive.
    Have you seen Amazon's best selling laptops list recently? Thirteen out of the top twenty laptops run Windows. I don't think Microsoft should be worried just yet.

Thank Post
    It's official!

Dell Chromebook 11 for Education

It should be available starting in January of next year for under $300, and will be sold through Dell.com in the U.S. and the U.K. It’s an Intel-powered device with a Celeron 2955U processor (interesting choice), 10 hours of battery life, 16GB of onboard flash storage, and two configurations of RAM, including a 4GB and a 2GB option. The screen on the new machine is a 1366768 display, and there’s a 720p front-facing webcam for video conferencing. It has 802.11n Wi-Fi, and is under an inch thick, weighing just under 3 pounds 1.36 kg. I/O includes two USB 3.0 ports, an HDMI port and Bluetooth 4.0. (Source)
    Last edited by Arthur; 11th December 2013 at 03:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Why not have both? An Android tablet and a touchscreen Chromebook? The best of both worlds!
    Twice the purchase cost, or are you buying them for me ;

Except when it comes to multi-tasking, which sucks on Android. Even simple things like writing posts with lots of links and quotes involves too much faffing about in the EduGeek Android app.
    Fair point, copy and paste can be a pain

What's wrong with the Bay Trail hybrid's like the Asus Transformer Book T100 and why do consumers need the Pro version of Windows 8.1?
    Performance-wise the Bay Trail looks good enough for tablet use from what I've read in the reviews

Build-quality wise the T100 is cheap and nasty looking, back to netbook quality and weight - that said the price point is at a realistic level for a tablet

Need 8.1 Pro to use the one thing Windows has as an advantage i.e. being to run the full breadth of applications available within the Microsoft ecosystem; whether that's a weird and wonderful educational program or something more techie. RT is too limited and the app store too basic - if you just want those simplistic apps you might as well get an iPad and have more choice.

If Microsoft made a Bay Trail Surface I'd be very interested, sadly they're still clinging onto RT (although hopefully not for much longer if the rumours are to be believed)

Thank Post
    Twice the purchase cost, or are you buying them for me
    If I win the lottery I would.

Build-quality wise the T100 is cheap and nasty looking, back to netbook quality and weight
    Chromebooks have a lot of compromises too (plasticy build quality, LCDs with poor viewing angles and low resolutions, awful trackpads etc.). There still isn't a reasonably priced alternative to the Chromebook Pixel (probably because consumers would find it hard to justify buying one over an equivalent Windows laptop).

Need 8.1 Pro to use the one thing Windows has as an advantage i.e. being to run the full breadth of applications available within the Microsoft ecosystem
    Manufacturers usually install Windows 8.1 (non-Pro) on their cheap Windows laptops. That's why I wondered why you mentioned the Pro edition.

If Microsoft made a Bay Trail Surface I'd be very interested
    Me too, although if I needed to run apps like Photoshop, the Surface Pro 2 would be the logical choice.

Thank Post
    When I say Pro I mean x86 aka full fat Windows.

I know MS always use Photoshop as a reference but I'm not saying editing huge files, just day to day productivity applications that would run fine on Bay Trail / i3 and keep the cost down; Surface Pro is just too expensive for an 11" screen device

Thank Post
    Twice the purchase cost, or are you buying them for me ;

Fair point, copy and paste can be a pain

Performance-wise the Bay Trail looks good enough for tablet use from what I've read in the reviews

Build-quality wise the T100 is cheap and nasty looking, back to netbook quality and weight - that said the price point is at a realistic level for a tablet

Need 8.1 Pro to use the one thing Windows has as an advantage i.e. being to run the full breadth of applications available within the Microsoft ecosystem; whether that's a weird and wonderful educational program or something more techie. RT is too limited and the app store too basic - if you just want those simplistic apps you might as well get an iPad and have more choice.

If Microsoft made a Bay Trail Surface I'd be very interested, sadly they're still clinging onto RT (although hopefully not for much longer if the rumours are to be believed)
    clover leaf in my vivotab smart is fast enough for day to day stuff so baytrail should be more than (for now). have a look at dell venue 11 pro looks more substantial and as well as baytrail has lots of options on cpu up to i5 and LOOKs a bit more rugged. Has to be said the build on my vovotab smart isn't great back scratches very easily and the screen isn't that robust either and somehow ive chipped the case and I take reasonable care of it

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    clover leaf in my vivotab smart is fast enough for day to day stuff so baytrail should be more than (for now). have a look at dell venue 11 pro looks more substantial and as well as baytrail has lots of options on cpu up to i5 and LOOKs a bit more rugged. Has to be said the build on my vovotab smart isn't great back scratches very easily and the screen isn't that robust either and somehow ive chipped the case and I take reasonable care of it
    +1 I have one to and use it for most stuff, even this. Baytrail should be a great bridge between the core and atom series though, for tablet use it should be great as the current ones cope fine and the new ones are much faster.

Thank Post
    The first AIO running ChromeOS...

LG's 21.5" Chromebase all-in-one puts ChromeOS on the desktop Engadget

Besides Samsung's Chromebox series ChromeOS has appeared mostly on laptops, but now LG is ready to put its new Chromebase up against Apple's iMac and Windows-based all-in-one desktop PCs. According to the spec sheet, that 21.5" 1080p LCD hides an Intel Celeron CPU, 2GB of RAM and a 16GB SSD inside, along with an assortment of ports in the back and on the sides. It won't compete with high-end PCs on horsepower or internal storage, but it's ready to play a part in Google's vision of network computers that run mostly web-based apps, are hassle free and require no real maintenance. We're not expecting to get Steam loaded on here, but when we're playing IT for relatives over the holiday something like this may seem like a better option. Without a price tag however, it's hard to judge properly so we'll look for that and more information next month at CES.

Thank Post
    Seems like a nice enough looking device there, cant decide whether I fancy a chromebook or a full fat laptop here myself, I trialled a chromebook a while back and liked it, despite looking up the spec and thinking "Eurgh" at the time, it ran everything fast and well, there are some pretty decent AMD based laptops about now, which can handle things like gaming on linux which I want.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    web-based apps, are hassle free and require no real maintenance.
    Sweet, no need to dust it or provide it power or anything, it's a modern day perpetual motion machine and all for the low low price of your soul.

Thank Post
    Interesting stats...

Chromebooks Shifted 2.5 Million Units in 2013, Analysts Say OMG Chrome

Chromebooks accounted for almost 1% of global PC sales in 2013, market research firm IDC has said.

The industry analysts report that out of more than 314 million PCs shipped last year Chrome OS notebooks accounted for 2.5 million units sold to consumers.

And things, analysts predict, are only set to get better for the cloud-centric computers in the near future.

By 2017 IDC experts predict that yearly Chromebook shipments will make up 2% of all PC sales. Like-minded research group Gartner is more optimistic in its forecast of a 4.5% share of PC shipments for Chrome OS by the end of the same year.

Thank Post
    Would be interesting to see how much of a sales increase there was over the Xmas period as Google had a pretty large advertising campaign this time round (TV ads, billboards, tube posters etc)

Still think for the price you pay for an average Chromebook many of the target demographic would rather add 50-100 and have an iPad instead

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread