+ Post New Thread
Blue Skies Thread, Question Of The Week: Pie In The Sky Support System in General; As always case asked across several places answers will be collected and post with names removed to protect peoples jobs ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Question Of The Week: Pie In The Sky Support System

As always case asked across several places answers will be collected and post with names removed to protect peoples jobs

If money was no object how would you design support system for a school talk us through how it would work from teacher logging call to support staff dealing with.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post

Re: Question Of The Week: Pie In The Sky Support System

Install new teachers

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Midget
    Install new teachers
    Not a daft as it sounds...

Create a full training system that ensures teachers report problems in a way that provides the information to ID the problem machine/area and/or software package in a simple but timely fashion.

Thank Post

BSF..................?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries

Money no object?

Ok ... first we look at self help. We have a full support server with FAQs, tutorials and wikis for the most common issues. After much careful training staff become used to using this as the first port of call.

Second ... if they do happen to ring up or want to visit in person then they get greeted by the HelpDesk drone ... this can be any of the support team on a rota to ensure noone goes bonkers too quickly. The HelpDesk Drone will go through the online support system to help the teacher find the correct answer ... unless the drone knows the answer isn't in there. The drone makes on note of the missing query to be updated later and then either gives the answer or passes it to second line ... the folks in the office.

The folks in the office will be able to pick up the ticket generated by the HDD (HelpDesk Drone) and search the internal knowledge base (or their own heads since that is possibly quicker) and sort the issue ... if it is something that will take longer than a quick wave of the chicken then the teacher is given either a temporary fix or told to go away and they will receive a message later that day (the HelpDesk / CRM software will update them via email, SMS or popup on their computer depending on user preference).

The issue is carefully researched (Oi, shep ... can you remember what it was that broke Robbo's laptop last week? This one has gone pear-shaped too!) and then the fix applied. The teacher is notified and the fix is carefully added to the internal knowledgebase and FAQs when appropriate.

On a weekly basis the jobs are looked at to see if there is any commonality (the software also ties in with the inventory / assett register) and decisions are made to prevent this from being a common issue in future. On a weekly basis the team meet to discuss future works and inform *all* users about up and coming plans.

That is enough of my prattle ... anyone want to fill out any of the above bits and continue the stuff I left off?

You know something ... this all sounds very familiar ... ;-)

hey hey hey, stay outta my shed. STAY OUT OF MY SHED.
    Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    As always case asked across several places answers will be collected and post with names removed to protect peoples jobs

If money was no object how would you design support system for a school talk us through how it would work from teacher logging call to support staff dealing with.
    At the risk of sounding like i'm ducking the issue, I'd start with defining the scope of the support and the users expectations. Money being no object is still of no help if you don't know what direction you're supposed to be wasting it in!

I'd then define tiers of support
    * Self-Help (e.g. online user-searchable kbase, system status/availability, etc)
    * 1st Line helpdesk aimed to deal with incidents
    * 2nd Line escalation to deal with troublesome incidents and problems
    * 3rd line escalation to produce changes to the environment in order to properly solve problems.

I would have service level agreements defined for all tiers (even self help sites need one, a guarantee of availability) and I would use proper helpdesk software to track the lifecycle of Incidents, Problems and Changes.

Even with the money to buy whatever you want, you still need to define the exact problem before attempting to buy a tool to solve it.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread