+ Post New Thread
Blue Skies Thread, question of the week: - MIS Systems How Do You Use It in General; As my last post went so well I am posting another question I will post it on several forums and ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

question of the week: - MIS Systems How Do You Use It

As my last post went so well I am posting another question I will post it on several forums and then collate answers (names removed to protect the guilty also feel free to pm me answer if don't wish to post it).

So how does your school use it MIS system?

Russell

Thank Post

Re: question of the week: - MIS Systems How Do You Use It

Using computers....

.....sorry I had to

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

lol

Russ

Thank Post

And now for a serious response, what do you actually mean how do we use it? I'm not playing thick, maybe I just am thick but I don't think I quite get the question.

Tom

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

How do you use mis for example how is it integrated into school life do your staff enter assignment date into assignment module or is that done by data person. Do teacher login into it to use class reg system or is that done omr sheets etc

Not what is used but how is it used...

Russ

Thank Post

We use CMIs/ePortal (tries not to whinge). used for: attendance, all assessment/progress tracking (termly for Ks3, half termly for ks4), interim reporting, parent eve reports, target setting, coursework monitoring.... only things we dont really use it for is behaviour (we use "sleuth") and SEN (use SENCo Manager).

I have the "pleasure" of designing all assessment templates and reports. Printing seems to fall to me also at the moment as the reports are new and i like to check them first few print runs, but i'll be looking to off-load that at some point.

edit: all teachers enter their registration via e-portal and assessment data (pushed as online mark-book) themselves. if anyone kicks up a fuss we ask for handwritten info and we get someone in to do it (member os SMT's daughter)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

As promised here are the collated answers obviously got some repeats from this thread but gives you an ...

Response 1

We use CMIs/ePortal (tries not to whinge). used for: attendance, all assessment/progress tracking (termly for Ks3, half termly for ks4), interim reporting, parent eve reports, target setting, coursework monitoring.... only things we dont really use it for is behaviour (we use "sleuth") and SEN (use SENCo Manager).

I have the "pleasure" of designing all assessment templates and reports. Printing seems to fall to me also at the moment as the reports are new and i like to check them first few print runs, but i'll be looking to off-load that at some point.

edit: all teachers enter their registration via e-portal and assessment data (pushed as online mark-book) themselves. if anyone kicks up a fuss we ask for handwritten info and we get someone in to do it (member os SMT's daughter)

Response 2

We only really scratch the surface of what SIMS can do, to be honest. We use it for recording pupil details (name, address, home and emergency contacts, etc), class lists and timetabling. We have recently started handling our enquiries and admissions process with SIMS, but teething problems mean that this is largely still Excel-based. Electronic registration is not practical/possible here, and the assessment module doesn't really work in the way we require so we're instead using an in-house Excel system.

Response 3

We use Serco Facility and ePortal. Facility is purely available on our admin network but suffers from a severe lack of Data Management (our Data 'Manager' only works 2 days per week). ePortal is available on all networked computers, admin and curriculum, through use of a simple router that allows the web-interface to be accessed from anywhere.

Response 4

We use sims quite well in the school, it handles; names, addresses, emergency details, class lists, timetabling, admissions, special educational needs. It used to handle all the assessment data for the school but we are slowly moving to pars.net for assessment, behaviour, notices, students on report e-registration (but all of this links with sims.net).

We are part of a SCC trial of Kaleidos Portal+ which pulls lots of data from sims and allows it to be accesed from the web!

When a pupil joins the school we enter their UPN in the UPN field in RMMC this is then used to pull information from SIMS.net into our records (web based lunchtime bookings etc...)

Russell

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread