+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Blue Skies Thread, If you were asked: - Show me something different. in General; Right this started on rm forums seemed to work well so starting same thread here... In spirit of sharing ideas ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

If you were asked: - Show me something different.

Right this started on rm forums seemed to work well so starting same thread here...

In spirit of sharing ideas if someone came to your school and said show me something that your school does ict wise that is different you don't have had to be first to do it just an idea or something that is not very common that your places does.

What would you say??

In spirit of sharing here is my answer we about roll out a IM client for staff so office staff can get hold of staff who not got phones etc. We are about to roll it out to small test sample of staff and then grow it from their.

What is your answer?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: If you were asked: - Show me something different.

I suppose the first thing that comes to mind is giving staff local admin access to their own laptops so that they can have complete control whilst at home.

Thank Post

An IT dept to get rid / against Smart boards... we (been IT) despise them in our school. To be honest, they are just a gimmick. We have bought a sympodium, just like a monitor but is touch screen, doesnt get used that often.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,398 Times in 1,859 Posts
    Blog Entries

Oh, so much to choose from (I'm a big fan of trying new things)! I am trialing an instant messenger system for use to announce system downtime (which ties in with Nagios and Cacti to do the checking, and a custom program for service linking so that staff get messages saying 'Printing is currently not working properly' rather than 'Server:app1 Service:File & Print Status: Changed from UP to DOWN' or similar...

Do I have to restrict to a single item? I have a few more ideas that I am implementing too...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by timbo343
    An IT dept to get rid / against Smart boards... we (been IT) despise them in our school. To be honest, they are just a gimmick. We have bought a sympodium, just like a monitor but is touch screen, doesnt get used that often.
    I both agree and disagree with this sentiment. Yes they are a bit gimmicky but they have some very good uses. Our SEN dept makes use of them nearly all the time as it encourages good interaction skills for those pupils that suffer with problems that would otherwise prevent such interaction.

Also, some of our staff make use of them a lot, for a lot of very clever and good ideas, whilst at the same time we have the usual group of staff who don't really want to think outside the old box and try and make use of them...

I do agree that some staff overuse them too. A lot of the time I see them being used, they are doing really mundane things (simple sums etc...) which could just as easily be done by asking the child to just read out what they wrote, but in half the time and without trying to get a child to make use of a weird feeling vertical pen.

I think they are just like any other technology. They have their place and can be a great asset if used properly and the proper training and support is in place for them to do that. (And by support, I don't mean by IT dept's, I mean from the subject dept's by providing tools to make use of them).

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook
    I suppose the first thing that comes to mind is giving staff local admin access to their own laptops so that they can have complete control whilst at home.
    we do the same, so I suppose it's it's the fact that all pupil seats in the IT suites are wired to a large generator.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,236 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries

I've implemented a ceiling mounted speaker system, which is not onlt wired to a mic (for announcments) but also to a cd player.

Means the little darlings can have music in break and lunch times, seems to have quietened them down too.

Also being a split-site school I've an IM program and a internal staff forum to allow better communication. And a wiki with documentation for all our systems in it.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    Oh, so much to choose from (I'm a big fan of trying new things)! I am trialing an instant messenger system for use to announce system downtime (which ties in with Nagios and Cacti to do the checking, and a custom program for service linking so that staff get messages saying 'Printing is currently not working properly' rather than 'Server:app1 Service:File & Print Status: Changed from UP to DOWN' or similar...

Do I have to restrict to a single item? I have a few more ideas that I am implementing too...
    What IM System do you use and how do you tie it in?

Russ

Thank Post

We give staff access to CMIS assessment data through excel spreadsheets that go off and update themsleves whenever they need to so staff are constantly in touch with the latest assessment data with no need to mess about with CMIS reports or destroy rain forests.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We have installed interactive whiteboards into almost 30 classrooms and invest in proper training so the teachers can use them to their full potential; and we also give teachers full rights on their laptops - they are theirs after all.

Thank Post

We focus *alot* on staff training. Firstly with the Intel Teach to the Future package and now ECDL (ICDL). I have a technician whose majority job time is spent on staff training and support so that the resources we have are put to the best possible use.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by russdev
    What IM System do you use and how do you tie it in?
    I use jabber (via jabberd2 server and pandion clients). To do the interaction between jabber and nagios I use 'notify_via_jabber' from http://nagios.sourceforge.net/downlo...notifications/ tied in with my own notifier before that (which does the simplifying, and is pretty specific to my site - also it isn't finished yet...).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Netman
    We focus *alot* on staff training. Firstly with the Intel Teach to the Future package and now ECDL (ICDL). I have a technician whose majority job time is spent on staff training and support so that the resources we have are put to the best possible use.
    Hi Netman

Have you got any more info on intel scheme sound interesting...

Russ

Thank Post

My latest "different" thing is something I stumbled across by accident...

I was connecting a bluetooth device (can you guess what?) to my work PC. I'd had a bluetooth dongle for ages and never installed it. So when I was looking for the device half a dozen phones showed up, some with the name of the owner... We have a no phone policy here (or you have to hand them in at the start of the day) so having a phone on you and worse still turned on (Can't pickup bluetooth when its off!) is a big no no.

So now the office has a rather large collection of phones that they'll be keeping until Easter and the kids have reaffirmed their hatred of me.

Now I don't expect this to continue, they will learn and bluetooth will get turned off, but it reminds them we're watching

This also worked out better than the mobile detectors we had been looking into as they only work when the phone is sending and receiving!

Oh, finally, when they start complaining this was an invasion of privacy, remember its it their phone broadcasting the bluetooth ID and while bluetooth and WiFi operate very differently on the same frequency I know for sure they don't understand that so you can blame their bluetooth phones for poor WiFi signals!!

I'm not evil IRL, but it is in the job description.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

AlexB We do a similar sort of thing using our PDAs - sometimes we send them a contact card named 'TURN_PHONE_OFF' which will be displayed on devices once received.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast