+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Blue Skies Thread, If you were asked: - Show me something different. in General; Yes, I did that to the ones that couldnt be identified by name, except mine said "Should you have your ...
    Thank Post

Re: If you were asked: - Show me something different.

Yes, I did that to the ones that couldnt be identified by name, except mine said "Should you have your phone in school"

Thank Post

Got a lot of things going on at the moment.

One is Improving our backup system - moving from a tape drive in every server, to NAS devices with Disk-Disk-Tape. Makes everything alot faster, and will save money to boot.

Another is having Thin Clients - and having remote acces for staff (and hopefully pupils) using Terminal Services - anyone with a web browser will be able to log on to the network as if they were in school!

The main thing I am working on now is reducing TCO. Costs are escalating every year and I am pretty sure the way things are going financially, the money is simply not going to be there to keep improving the network, or even god forbid, keep what we already have going. So - Reducing Costs, whilst Increasing provision - thats my goal now.

Andrew

Thank Post

Only thing that really springs to mind is our intranet systems. Not brilliantly designed from a web site point of view but mainly the custom web systems we've developed. Currently stands at:

-Room booking system
    -Projector booking
    -Various logs (naughty logs for us and pastoral)
    -Student information system (for reporting problem or praise to tutors and pastoral teams)
    -Homework hand in
    -External access logging

Also our monitoring systems, from the little station that has all our network info displayed using PRTG and Big Brother, to the little apps we have created to report when things happen that shouldn't and being proactive in policing the network.

Now looking at the IM thing as well as we had just said the day before this came up how a HELP! button for teachers would be good. They do begrudge having to go to the Office to call us and from a practical view it would be easier to talk to the teacher when they are actually at the machine. Interesting learning curve as ever!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

We provide staff and students access to a range of OpenSource software and services that are not supported by RM, which would effectively be banned by RM's BSF implementation.

Thank Post

We have a monitoring machine which sits in the corner of Mission Control and displays a map of the school with information overlaid semi-transparently at relevant points e.g. list of usernames associated with each WAP, low toner levels on networked printers, alarms if an unauthorised machine tries to connect to our wireless network, and alarms if any of the WAPs goes down (usually because one of the little darlings has pulled out the POE lead).

This little setup has helped us locate lost PDAs (which will contact the nearest WAP to renew their IP even if apparently switched off), challenge unauthorised attempts to connect to our wireless network, keep our toner stocks up to date and maintain the reliability of the wireless network by dashing off to plug the POE lead back in (apart from the time they yanked the whole unit off the wall and trashed it comprephensively...)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by acb_
    We have a monitoring machine which sits in the corner of Mission Control and displays a map of the school with information overlaid semi-transparently at relevant points e.g. list of usernames associated with each WAP, low toner levels on networked printers, alarms if an unauthorised machine tries to connect to our wireless network, and alarms if any of the WAPs goes down (usually because one of the little darlings has pulled out the POE lead).

This little setup has helped us locate lost PDAs (which will contact the nearest WAP to renew their IP even if apparently switched off), challenge unauthorised attempts to connect to our wireless network, keep our toner stocks up to date and maintain the reliability of the wireless network by dashing off to plug the POE lead back in (apart from the time they yanked the whole unit off the wall and trashed it comprephensively...)
    What do you use to do that? Is it a custom app?

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by localzuk
    What do you use to do that? Is it a custom app?
    We rolled our own - it's an HTA.

Thank Post

Ok, newest thing we have done in our school is actually tidied our room! 20+ years of junk has been skipped or recycled where apporpriate! We now have enough room to hold a reasonable size party (to up our image in the school, we are the it crowd) and everyone who comes in can't beleive the tranfsormation! A rumor even got out that we were moving out and several staff had an evil eye on taking over the room. Soon sorted that out!!!

Ok, I know it's not technology, but you must admit most techy rooms are full of old junk! (Forgive me if yours isn't) so in my view, that is something we've done that's different!

Thank Post

You asked for something different

http://www.globalimagination.com/products.html#hardware

Humanities departments love it

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Looks perfect for playing Defcon on.

Thank Post

and how much are they Face-Man?

Thank Post

My home built intranet system, developed with asp and access databases.
    Provides calendar, message board, marking system, SEN database, file store, planning repository.
    Built this 4 years ago and it has grown and grown and we are really proud of it, especially as I had no previous web dev experience.

Thank Post

Continuous Ink System - networked inkjets with dummy cartridges linked to big pots of ink. We've had it since March - few teething troubles to begin with but means that I no longer care how much people print and I can use colour printing to actually improve learning (giving 6 year olds a colour picture to stick in their book as a stimulus for descriptive writing is much better than a photocopy). Since we got it, it has printed 12000 sheets and has cost us about £70 in ink. Summer will be the big test, if it survives the heat we'll roll them out around the school.
    contink (on this forum) is the man to speak to about this.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by webman
    AlexB We do a similar sort of thing using our PDAs - sometimes we send them a contact card named 'TURN_PHONE_OFF' which will be displayed on devices once received.

similar here but we use(phone wand). which when they enter there exam they are searched with this device

they try everything to still hide it e.g.
    bottle with the bottom cut off to hide the phone lucazade is the most popular because its has the orange skin round it but still picks their phone up muhahaha.you cant escape

Thank Post
    Our Keep Kids Safe system is set-up for all staff in the school.

The attendance team use the absence management part of the system to send absence messages.
    The non-teaching staff use the group messaging part to text parents about school trips, detentions, football practice, etc...
    The teachers use the community reach part of the system to text all other staff with any notices.

Apart from that, I guess we're a pretty normal, non-innovative school!! We'd rather let other schools trial stuff and jump on board when it's proven to be effective.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast