+ Post New Thread
Blue Skies Thread, Forward Planning - Primary Schools in General; Thanks to all the very useful replies to my question posted at http://www.edugeek.net/forums/hardwa...ng-advice.html However, probably because I worded my question ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Forward Planning - Primary Schools

Thanks to all the very useful replies to my question posted at Primary School looking for hardware / software forward planning advice However, probably because I worded my question poorly it didn't quite tease out some of the answers I was hoping for.

What I'm after is:

Mindful of budget constraints we are all going to be hit with over the next 5 or so years I'm trying to tickle up a plan which might be applied usefully across schools - particularly primaries.

In 2003 when I first came into schools ICT this 250 pupil then 10 class primary had a Linux Cache Server running something like 10 workstations. My role then 9apart from trying to learning ICT) was to go around the workstations and apply the LEA supplied monthly Sophos update and that was about it.

In 2004 we had a Server 2000 installed and an ICT suite of 32 XP workstations. Later came Smartboards and notebooks to run them from.

In 2009 we upgraded the server and to a Dell PET300 running Server 2003 with a 200/400GB LTO BU and a dedicated APC UPS. we have a seperate Admin server also running Server 2003 and new notebooks and workstations all running XP Pro with MS Office 2007 as the main programme.

I'm now trying to put together a plan for moving forward but with several options. You know - Rolls Royce (new cabinet housing beefy 2008 64 bit server, UPS, switches; some sort of failover, NAS, new workstations running Windows 7, MS Office 2010) to Mondeo (new tower server of some sort, rolling replacement programme for the workstations - sticking with Office 2007) to beat up old Fiesta options (running on with what we have till it all drops off over the edge.

Another factor that obviously needs looking at is what are the Secondary schools looking for when it comes to the Y7 intake - what sort of ICT competency would be best for them to integrate smoothest.

Thank Post
    Another factor that obviously needs looking at is what are the Secondary schools looking for when it comes to the Y7 intake - what sort of ICT competency would be best for them to integrate smoothest.
    As a Middle School, we send kids on at Y8. We work with the High School to make sure the kids are ready to take on the Y8 syllabus and we are told ours are pretty savvy. We generally work from the Smart Learning ICT Skills books. The one thing that the HS does continually comment on is the general lack of keyboard skills. We did have formal lessons using Busykidfingers but as soon as that finished, teachers would let the kids revert to slouching in their chairs picking at keys with one finger. We have a few kids (mainly girls) who are being taught to touchtype by mum. What a great skill for them to have. Anyone who leaves school with the ability to type must have an edge.

3. Thanks to laserblazer from:

speckytecky (10th September 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread