+ Post New Thread
Blue Skies Thread, Presentation Inspiration in General; I am looking for a bit of inspiration. Most weeks we have visitors from various different organisations to come and ...
    Thank Post

Presentation Inspiration

I am looking for a bit of inspiration.

Most weeks we have visitors from various different organisations to come and see what we do. This year these have included SLICT delegates, every NQT in Birmingham (or at least those who chose to attend), plus ITT students to our training school, other techies from around Birmingham plus international delegates of various degrees that the LEA play host to. And now on Friday I have to do a presentation for something to do with a case study the DfES want to do which I am not full up to speed about yet.

I was wondering if anyone else fortunate / unfortunate enough to do this kind of thing had found a way to make talking about IT interesting?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Presentation Inspiration

If possible always try and relate it to something that people understand from the real world (ie outside education). The session I do about communication I have a sound bite from Yes Minister ... a complicated bit of non-speak from Sir Humphrey ...

Depending on your audience target a specific interest ... with NQTs you can talk about how it improves grades ... since they want to know how to make an impact in the classroom that will make everyone think they are wonderful ... for ITTs target the idea of easily creating and sharing resources as this will save time (and it means they can nick each other's) ... for SLICT make sure you include buzzwords but make sure that you hand out buzzword bingo cards beforehand ... then all you have to do is talk about the use of ICT in the form of intervention at KS3 and KS4 as method of getting those borderline grades ... then talk about various Becta publications and how you have adapted them to the schools (or how you wrote them based on the school ... depending on how good the school is) ... for DfES talk about how funding of projects makes a difference (Becta Research Groups, National Whiteboard Project, RBCs, ITC Test Beds) ...

and for techies ... be cynical, sarcastic, quote the four yorkshiremen sketch and we will all know that you are someone who is a grizzled veteran and we will listen to every word you utter.

Thank Post

talking about IT interesting?
    I know a few techies who are far better at talking IT than they are actually doing the job they are employed to do. ;-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tosca925
    talking about IT interesting?
    I know a few techies who are far better at talking IT than they are actually doing the job they are employed to do. ;-)
    I resemble that remark ... erm ... I mean resent ... d'oh

I'll get my coat ... it is the one sat on the boxes of Becta publications.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread