+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Blue Skies Thread, Windows 7 - Primaries in General; ...And further to the lack of domain A lot of schools do have domain enviroments - either the tech has ...

Thank Post
    ...And further to the lack of domain

A lot of schools do have domain enviroments - either the tech has the skills to do it or they paid an outside company to set their it up and they obviously do the standard way or they get they tech support from a secondary and they set it up the standard way as well.

I personally don't have domain management skills so I look for alternatives

One problem with individual user logon is that it isn't the best model for a class of 30 in a suite with 15 computers

One workaround is to have class logons which maps a drive letter to a shared class area with folders for each child (or pairs of children).

I myself have 1 logon/computer and a global shared area and a little autoit script that lets pupils choose their class and then maps P: to the class shared subfolder. (teachers get access to whole tree).

I use WPKG (so don't need GPOs) to deploy packages but I don't worry about them being silent as they are just run as a logon script.

And I only use package deployment if I think it would save time that running around all the machines that need it - I only tried packaging SMART notebook this week as normally I only put in on smartboard connected computers and teacher laptops - normally max of 14 computers/school.

Teacher last week wanted it on 20 laptops for monitored lesson next day so I decided it might be better to package it up for deployment as it might be useful at my other schools (Failed to get gallery done but luckily she didn;t need it )

But no way is it useful to learn how to package Tizzy's Toybox cause its only on about 6 comps/school

time to stop -even I'm drifting off my OT now

regards
    Simon

Thank Post
    Crikey - I seem to have kicked off a bit of a debate!
    Nice to have you back - thought you'd been scared off

I've got a spare box I can set up - so I'll do that and throw software at it (not literally mind!) to see what does/doesn't work. I'll be posting a list so we all know for the future.
    Now - that'd be very useful

Actually -when I looked back and saw you'd posted this in Blue Skies - I did think - mm - this person knows they are off the wall - so I should have been less virulent

regards
    Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Actually -when I looked back and saw you'd posted this in Blue Skies - I did think - mm - this person knows they are off the wall - so I should have been less virulent
    Nah - thats okay. I'm pretty thick skinned.

At the moment it's kinda halfway between a pipedream and a project, I just thought it'd be a good idea to ask about it on here as there is surely someone that's already moved over - and failing that there'd be advice.

I'm still going to set a box up to see how plausable this all is, so await the blog people as it'll be better to put results up in that format.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK View Post
    Again useful, but in the times I have had to use the W7s repair tools. they have not fixed the issue and have still gone the reimage route.
    I'm not so much talking about the repair console ones or the ones that you have to do anything to trigger, I'm talking about the ones that just see a problem and fix it seamlessly without requireing extra time of the technical staff.

But how much of that extra manageability is relevant to primary schools?
    We use it a lot in the primaries that I support but I would say that it would depend on the school.

When in school Computers and on when in use and off when they are not they are switched off. Also from experience W7 has not given any increase in battery life on laptops.
    Moreso for the teachers that leave their computers on compulsively and do the same with their laptops that sit idle for half the day.

PCs come supplied the DVD player software and quicktime/xvid are free downloads, simple to include on an initial build.
    Simple enough to include but it still takes time and also can cause issues if you end up needing to include codecs that clash, having lots bundled does help this as they are pretested for such clashes.

Again these were just general features that are useful to my sites, I don't know the exact details of other sites so couldn't comment.

@TechSupp - The same differences apply to mandatory profiles too I think so you would need to have a seporate one for W7 with some way to differentiate, probably with a .V2 added to the foldername or using local mandatory/default. You also have more stuff to redirect with 7 like favorites etc which as you are on mandaroty at the moment are probably already stored in your docs folders so should transfer fine. It is doable but I think that it would be about the same amount of effort either way mandatory/roaming and I have heard (on this forum) that mandatory profiles are tricky on 7.

Its weird I do work in primary schools but many of my views and experiences seem to be somewhat alien. Perhaps its differences in school sizes (350+ for me), I don't know but I do seem to be stiriing trouble on this thread. Perhaps I to should label myself as a troll too despite my intentions.
    Last edited by SYNACK; 31st January 2010 at 01:36 PM.

Thank Post
    I'm talking about the ones that just see a problem and fix it seamlessly without requireing extra time of the technical staff.
    Does a tree in a far away forest make a sound when it falls?

Prove it
    Si

Thank Post
    Its weird I do work in primary schools but many of my views and experiences seem to be somewhat alien.
    Well you do live a far away land

Perhaps its differences in school sizes (350+ for me)
    My biggest school was double form entry (450) and that was the first one I plugged in W2k3 server (Well just converted a desktop actually ) and set up the suite XP Pro ones as domain clients (Acutally paid someone do it as I was clueless) but decided it wasn't worth the cost/effort of upgrading the other school comps (4/class that were all XP home machines) mainly because of the class/individ pupil logon issues.

I don't know but I do seem to be stiriing trouble on this thread. Perhaps I to should label myself as a troll too despite my intentions.
    Your just in the clever category - to you its trivial/challenging/acheivable and affordable to hunt down drivers etc and force the 16bit software to work

And you don't know that there is another way to acheive same end result - e.g teachers teaching and pupils learning

Lets face it - if a school has never had any tech support and its still just an oeverworked ICT co-ord with little money then there still going to be close to standalone/static ip mode

regards

Simon
    PS -I'm the only in this village - it was my bridge that you crossed

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Does a tree in a far away forest make a sound when it falls?

Prove it
    Si
    I watched it happen and checked the event logs later to see why it took an extra minute at boot time. I did not get screen shots of that but here is the smart error that occoured during the HW failure Why Windows 7 When XP "Won't Die" again, no screenshots of the event log as I did not think that I would accidentally stumble into the inquisition

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Your just in the clever category - to you its trivial/challenging/acheivable and affordable to hunt down drivers etc and force the 16bit software to work
    Your too kind I just have nothing better to do

And you don't know that there is another way to acheive same end result - e.g teachers teaching and pupils learning
    Now it is you who live in a far off and mystical land (our teachers arn't that bad - well most/some of them)

Lets face it - if a school has never had any tech support and its still just an oeverworked ICT co-ord with little money then there still going to be close to standalone/static ip mode
    True, luckily that situation is getting less and less common in NZ.

PS -I'm the only in this village - it was my bridge that you crossed
    I knew I should have looked both ways becore crossing
    Last edited by SYNACK; 31st January 2010 at 02:09 PM.

Thank Post
    Back to this after a long few days dealing with my ruddy tax return and accounts... *cue: silent scream*

Anyhoo... One thing that hasn't been picked up on so much is the training aspect... I for one am a small business with turnover in the £4k per school range so any training is very much self taught, books, etc... and me sitting with a Win2k8 server and a few Win7 VM's trying to figure it out. This is all well and good if you have time available but Son_1.0 has put a stop to any of that and I'm increasingly concerned that I may not catch up because the other option is putting my prices up to cover training costs which is also a non-starter.

This brings me to the money thing... Virtually every school I have is cutting staff posts and/or hours just so they can pay my bill (which incidentally is 20-30% less than county charge for less able or experienced staff!).

These same schools all have, hardware that is going to need replacing somewhere between two years ago and three years time (at a stretch). Most are looking at an increasingly complex IT requirement and naff all money to do it with because of other initiatives or building maintenance that are more critical...

To call the situation appalling is putting it mildly...

Anyway, that's all doom and gloom... What I AM concious of though is that we could be helping each other deal with some of the technical issues by looking specifically at the Primary side of things, software in particular and start recording work-arounds, solutions or simple "mission impossible - don't go there!" tips on different packages that are common.

I know we have the wiki but is anyone willing to start recording some of those so we can slowly add to them over time..?

10. Thanks to contink from:

SimpleSi (1st February 2010)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm actually somewhat curious about some of this problematic software. If someone, in their testing comes up with a must have application that won't run I would be interested in taking a crack at it using the extra compatibility tools to see if I could get it running. If so I could upload the compatibility shim to here and the application compatibility database for others to use. If the software is in common usage and enough people shared their compatibility shims then much(not all) of the software issue may be resolvable.

12. 2 Thanks to SYNACK:

korifugi (1st February 2010), SimpleSi (1st February 2010)

Thank Post
    What we try to do is this. Any software that will not run properly under xp because it's too old gets left out. We then look to replace or upgrade. This isn't an option for most primary schools but IMO should be looked at. Quite a few applications now tend to just be exe clients that run a .swf file off the server. I have recently looked at getting 2 pieces of software that aren't compatible with OS X running fine just launching the .swf under the Flash player.

But the main reason for the upgrading of software is that all School's IIRC should have a VLE/MLE up and running by 2010. If you look at new software the licenses should cover some software to run in the VLE, thus providing content for your school, killing 2 birds with 1 stone as it were.

This is what we are trying to do. After all what's the point in struggling along with software that doesn't work correctly on modern OSes?

I think OS chice is irrelevant now since most/all app access will be done online.
    Last edited by HodgeHi; 1st February 2010 at 12:00 AM.

14. Thanks to HodgeHi from:

SimpleSi (1st February 2010)

Thank Post
    ll School's IIRC should have a VLE/MLE up and running by 2010.
    Good points and ideas but problem is putting all eggs in the one basket.

Our Moodles are centrally provided and servers are somewhere in Lancaster/Preston.

And we only have a single pipe into the schools so when it goes down - we'd lose a lot of software access (and its bad enough for teachers just losing primaryresources.co.uk )

Can't persuade CLEO that diveristy is more important than speed (Well to be honest they don't ask us what we actually want - we live in a mushroom dictatorship )

mm - but maybe I could run a local Moodle - as a backup and as a speed improver during the day - mm

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    What I AM concious of though is that we could be helping each other deal with some of the technical issues by looking specifically at the Primary side of things, software in particular and start recording work-arounds, solutions or simple "mission impossible - don't go there!" tips on different packages that are common.
    How come the simplest ideas are the best

I'd suggest that we all just start off a simple how to do it thread on one particular piece of software - then once the proposed solution (or suggested modifications) becomes agreed the OP cuts and pastes it to the wiki and adds link from 1st post on the thread.

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I'm actually somewhat curious about some of this problematic software. If someone, in their testing comes up with a must have application that won't run I would be interested in taking a crack at it using the extra compatibility tools to see if I could get it running. If so I could upload the compatibility shim to here and the application compatibility database for others to use. If the software is in common usage and enough people shared their compatibility shims then much(not all) of the software issue may be resolvable.
    Cheers - I'll take you up on that when I get around to testing!

Thank Post
    @korifugi Is it Ok to ask if any of your supported primaries have VLPs in place and are they 'self built' or LEA provided. Not asking for named schools obviously, just need to know what other schools are doing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast