+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Blue Skies Thread, Windows 7 - Primaries in General; Originally Posted by contink 3. Software Compatibility... Almost all primaries have and rely on software that is anywhere from 5 ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    3. Software Compatibility... Almost all primaries have and rely on software that is anywhere from 5 to 10 years out of date or behind OS releases such as XP, much less Vista.
    That is a problem too, though the school that went ahead for the teachers' laptops only had one bit of software on the list that I couldn't get working (some POS DK thing) and I suspect that had I had more time, I may have sorted it. My other schools (less money) may well have some very old bits of software that won't work, though.
    Last edited by LeMarchand; 30th January 2010 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Typo

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts
    Good points contik + Si.

As another Primary Tech the 4 school I currently support are all W2K3 + XP and everything works how it should and works well. As wonderful as W7 there is nothing I can't currently do with my setups that would warrant a change to W7. It's not the huge change that W2K + XP was over NT4 + W98.

Cost is a huge consideration. The money that it would cost to upgrade to W2K8 + W7 would be in the thousands. This money could be spent on better wireless infrastructure, equipment for pupils and staff such as visualisers, camera, data loggers, video cameras, digital microscopes, curriculum software, the list goes on. This will benefit Teaching and Learning far more than an OS upgrade.

Personally I plan to roll out W7 gradually as new kit comes with it installed. You can manage W7 clients with W2K3 in the same way you could Vista.

3. Thanks to SYSMAN_MK from:

SimpleSi (30th January 2010)

Thank Post
    I was just about to post my 'primary tech' views when I read SYSMAN_MK's he's said everything I was thinking!

Although, it's equally important in my mind to make sure we don't lag behind the senior schools too much for the sake of the pupils.

Money is an issue in primaries and in mine we're just about able to replace hardware to maintain a status quo.

On a similar note has anyone upgraded recently from office 2003 to 2007 and knows the cost per licence?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts
    Our LA supply Office 2007 Pro for about 35.00 IIRC

Thank Post
    Just about to replace a primary school's complete network with a Server 2008 R2/Windows 7 setup. I agree that if you've got a healthy XP/2003 system in place, there's not necessarily a rush to upgrade, but the school in question has an ICT suite they simply can't use, due to the 7-year-old PCs being next to useless, and their Windows 2000 server (which is of the same vintage) being on its last legs.

My view is this: if a school is due to replace kit, then there's no real reason not to go for Windows 7 (compatibility issues with old software aside).

Stephen

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK View Post
    Our LA supply Office 2007 Pro for about 35.00 IIRC
    And there's my problem total upgrade cost for all computers in school 2000, I expect I'll end up getting 2007 over 2 years then waiting to install it, no point having half the computers with 2007 and the rest with 2003.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chrbb View Post
    And there's my problem total upgrade cost for all computers in school 2000, I expect I'll end up getting 2007 over 2 years then waiting to install it, no point having half the computers with 2007 and the rest with 2003.
    Don't know the situation at your school, but the one school I have without an MS agreement (amazingly!) has been buying 2007 licenses and downgrading for the last 2 or 3 years, as the supplier didn't sell 2003 licenses. If you're lucky, you may be in the same situation and have more licenses than you think. (Though you'd have to check whether you're allowed to upgrade back to 2007).

Thank Post
    No we have 2003 licences, at least for the pupil machines, the staff laptops are a different kettle of fish - I'll look into that! Good thinking

Also just looked at microsoft schools agreement, realised with our recent purchases we now have reached the min quantity required, unable to find a price though, is it expensive?
    Last edited by chrbb; 30th January 2010 at 12:18 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Compatibility is very often able to be sorted by the Application Compatibility Toolkit, you can set up a policy for the bit of software in question configureing all sorts of compatibility fixes not avalible via the basic run as XP mode and these settings can be pushed to the whole network. The primary issues with compatibility are usually antivirus programs and pc control software, as long as you have rights to the latest versions of these then most other issues can be solved with the above toolkit and a bit of fiddeling.

Thank Post
    My view is this: if a school is due to replace kit, then there's no real reason not to go for Windows 7 (compatibility issues with old software aside).
    of course not

And it would be nice to know which old software doesn't work.

I'd suspsect that all Foundation/KS1 DK/Sherston/Oxford titles could be trouble for starters (but then again its tricky to get some of them working on XP )

As an experiment, it would be nice for an expert (e.g not me to try just getting one (say year 2) class onto Win7 - install it on teachers laptop and smartboard connected computer and the 2 class PCs (or a couple of the schools laptop trolley machines) and see what happens.

I know the Abacus Maths Framework doesn't work on Vista so that'd be a good one to see if works under Win7s vaulted XP mode

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    PS Ignoring W2k8+Win7 clients arrangement (cause I imagine there's all sort of goodies in that arrangement for you domain control freaks ) is there anything in Win7 itself you'd consider as being really good.

Ignoring esoteric things like "security" and "stability"

regards

Simon

I mean - whats really wrong with WfWg3.11?

Thank Post
    One of the primaries i cove is going to windows 7. I am going to Windows Server 2008 R2 with Windows 7 Enterprise at easter. The staff know and have had access to a couple of test machines since September. Had a couple of worried looks, but they will have to get used to it and have had plenty of time to look at the software during ppa time etc.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    is there anything in Win7 itself you'd consider as being really good.

Ignoring esoteric things like "security" and "stability"

I mean - whats really wrong with WfWg3.11?
    Way better offline files for teacher laptops
    Much better self repair ability (system files, reg etc)
    Way better over VPN/remote links due to a much faster network stack
    More managability via GP even if you only have a Windows 2000 server as DC
    Better power managment, suspend for powersave etc.
    Easier install with support for non cretatious era hardware ie SATA drives
    Automated multipass defragmentation
    Fully integrated .net 3.5 framework and windows installer modules makeing .net stuff run faster and stuff install faster. This is important when pushing managed MSIs.
    Automated presentation mode that detects projectors when attached and offers a wizard to help
    Built in codecs for lots of different formats avoiding the need for DVD software or Quicktime/xvid etc.

Is just the stuff off the top of my head that has made a difference here (most applied to Vista too).

I remember 3.11, it was fine for playing solitare on as I reacall and even had a 32bit mode that could be installed for full 32bit freecell

Thank Post
    Way better offline files for teacher laptops
    doesn't apply to non-domain machines - all files just stay on laptops

Much better self repair ability (system files, reg etc)
    Is it possible to quantify such a thing or is this just a feeling/marketing feature - no way to prove wither way I suspect

Way better over VPN/remote links due to a much faster network stack
    Only if you've got a VPN which most primaries without domains wouldn't have

More managability via GP even if you only have a Windows 2000 server as DC
    Would you really mix a Win2000 sever and win7 clients - really? (and doesn't apply to non-domain use anyway )

stopping now

Non of these come close to being justification to spend loads of dosh on old machines

to restate - is there anything in Win7 ITSELF - i think not - the defence (or prosecution) rests their case millord

16. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

SYSMAN_MK (30th January 2010)

Thank Post
    One of the primaries i cove is going to windows 7.
    Did they ask for it

I am going to Windows Server 2008 R2 with Windows 7 Enterprise at easter. The staff know and have had access to a couple of test machines since September
    To plagairise - "But Mr Dent, the plans have been available in the local planning office for the last nine months."

but they will have to get used to it

and have had plenty of time to look at the software during ppa time etc.
    :rotflol:
    [edit] wheres the icon I need?[/edit]

regards

Simon
    Last edited by SimpleSi; 30th January 2010 at 04:00 PM.

18. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

SYSMAN_MK (30th January 2010)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast