Poll: Do you allow students to bring there own devices on the network.

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Blue Skies Thread, Student Devices in General; Originally Posted by DMcCoy 6th form are currently allowed wireless internet access after MAC addresses are collected and their laptop ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    6th form are currently allowed wireless internet access after MAC addresses are collected and their laptop has been pat tested. They aren't allowed on to the main network, just a special vlan with access to the filtered proxy.
    That will be our approach, when we finally get round to it

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What about those systems from like cisco which make sure the computer (in this case laptop) has filly updated antivirus and updates installed before allowing access to the restricted network (eg: would touch home network connection) i haven't seen/read much these but would it be worth-wile if you could get the funding for it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    What about those systems from like cisco which make sure the computer (in this case laptop) has filly updated antivirus and updates installed before allowing access to the restricted network (eg: would touch home network connection) i haven't seen/read much these but would it be worth-wile if you could get the funding for it?
    There is NAP (Network Access Protection) built in to Windows Server 2008 and various security products, the seporate VLANS and subnets just give you an extra possibly more robust level of protection.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Allowed, but they don't use it out of fear. Packetfence has turned 9/10 sixth form laptops to goo for various reasons.

Thank Post
    We use a seperate VLAN for student laptops, iphones etc. All students are welcome to bring their devices in, although parents are aware of the insurance implications - damage, theft etc.We use one of the ports on our smoothwall box for filtering and DHCP.

We have printed laminate business cards with a map of the school on one side with the various WAP's identified and the wireless security key on the other, that we distribute to students on request.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    Is PAT really necessary though? Some of them will have been bringing them in for years anyway without getting you test them, plus they no doubt have plenty of other non-PAT'ed electrical equipment (phones, CD players, etc), so why is the laptop different?
    Probably, in an arse-covering sense, if you're now formalising them - i.e. permitting them to bring them in and knowingly adding them to the network - you'd need to do it to cover yourself. Previously the school could just have said "we didn't know" or "they're not supposed to use equipment without PAT".

(This said we are very behind on our PAT because nothing is done about our lack of time/staffing, sigh).

As a rule we don't let personal devices on, I don't know what may happen in the future - it's outwith my control - I think I heard some mumbling about letting 6th formers on the wireless in their common room, but that's another (case of) tins of worms...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12