+ Post New Thread
Blue Skies Thread, VNC for SEN pupils in General; Not really blue skies but a decent idea One of my pupils is visually challenged and has 100% use of ...

Thank Post

VNC for SEN pupils

Not really blue skies but a decent idea

One of my pupils is visually challenged and has 100% use of a laptop to aid him in class (Year 1 currently)

Anyway, his SEN TA asked if there was anyway of getting the teacher's IWB screen on his laptop as he sits at the back of the class (as he has a lot of equipment around him - braille machines and the like).

So I just put a VNC viewer his machine and set it to just view and not control and job was done (Already had VNC server on teacher machine for admin use by me)

Anyway - its worked out great for a couple of months - hasn't caused any network or other issues - its jsut not good enough to watch a remote espresso movie though

Might be useful idea for others with similar pupils

regards

Simon

2. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

dhicks (5th June 2008)

Thank Post
    I've just been asked to setup the exact same thing!!

Can you shed some further info mation on your Setup, what programs are you using? the free Tight VNC or something else? What settings have you put in place

Cheers

Matt

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    So I just put a VNC viewer his machine and set it to just view and not control and job was done
    Now, that is a good idea!

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    I think the teachers machine has an old plain VNC 3.x something on it - I installed it years ago and never updated - I'll have check it out though.

Just used UltraVNC on pupils laptop - didn't so anything special - just set it up so it just views as default.

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    I do something similar in one of our IT Labs (dunno why we call suites labs in HE). The room is a bit too big for people at the back to be able to see the IWB, so I run a VNC server (not as a service) on the lecturer PC, and a listening client on student PCs which are too far back to be able to see.

Then the lecturer PC has a couple of batch files - one to start the VNC server and add the machines with the client, one to kill the server. They're labelled "start broadcasting" and "stop broadcasting" so even teaching staff can understand what they mean

Seems to have gone down well with those who have tried it out.

Thank Post
    It's a great idea.
    I installed something similar when I was a student teacher about 6 years ago for a girl with sight problems. The LEA advisor thought it was magic. (Although they are easily pleased).
    You might find it useful for a whole range of issues - many children have eye tracking disorders, where they find it difficult looking up to the board then down to paper again.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,680 Times in 1,460 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    I do something similar in one of our IT Labs (dunno why we call suites labs in HE). The room is a bit too big for people at the back to be able to see the IWB, so I run a VNC server (not as a service) on the lecturer PC, and a listening client on student PCs which are too far back to be able to see.

Then the lecturer PC has a couple of batch files - one to start the VNC server and add the machines with the client, one to kill the server. They're labelled "start broadcasting" and "stop broadcasting" so even teaching staff can understand what they mean

Seems to have gone down well with those who have tried it out.

We do a similar thing put we use Netsupport, the teacher can control it then giving the student one less thing to play with.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread