+ Post New Thread
Blue Skies Thread, Singularity in General; IEEE Spectrum: Special Report: The Singularity This was mentioned on the Sarah Connor Chronicles and popped up as a link ...
    Thank Post

Singularity

IEEE Spectrum: Special Report: The Singularity

This was mentioned on the Sarah Connor Chronicles and popped up as a link on the register.

So will machines ever be alive? How much of being human is just down to the chemicals flowing through our veins? I think that as a race we are nowhere near as alive as we think we are. Just how many people do you know that if they were playing the PC in a Turing test would have you convinced you were talking to a bot?

So much of our daily behaviour is done at an automatic level, governed by experience and basic needs and drives. Just how aware does a machine need to be to be considered alive?

How much thinking does the average person actually do? How creative are they? Sure some people do amazing things, several billion do not.

At what level of intelligence do you become self aware anyhow? I have worked with some very damaged individuals who although were able to walk had intelligences much less than that of a dog. Are they sentient?

Will Google become Skynet?

I'm off to the Pie shop, as the chemicals in my stomach are telling my brain that I am hungry and my learned response is to go to the Dorset Cake Shop.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post

Will Google become Skynet?
    Better Google than Windows Live search or Yahoo, at least you can get some sence out of Google.

Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    I'm off to the Pie shop, as the chemicals in my stomach are telling my brain that I am hungry and my learned response is to go to the Dorset Cake Shop.
    Are you sure its a physiological signal there isn't a bell ringing currently is there?

3. Thanks to SYNACK from:

ICT_GUY (5th June 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Better Google than Windows Live search or Yahoo, at least you can get some sence out of Google.

Are you sure its a physiological signal there isn't a bell ringing currently is there?
    Rofl, repetative conditioning at its best.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information