+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Blue Skies Thread, Self Drive Cars in General; Who would have thought that a company that started out as a humble search engine would develop into such a ...
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Self Drive Cars

Who would have thought that a company that started out as a humble search engine would develop into such a major player so quickly making such a huge difference:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27587558

Well done Google maybe one day we will have multi layer transport systems all with self driving vehicles and even better still maybe Google will have worked out a prevention / cure for that other frightening scourge that sadly like road collisions touches so many lives - cancer.
    Last edited by speckytecky; 28th May 2014 at 08:06 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,936 Posts
    I think I'll wait for the GTI edition.

I bet Google's car will be very popular with OAPs though.

Last edited by Arthur; 28th May 2014 at 10:21 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,936 Posts
    BMWs self-driving (and drifting) M235i is very cool too.

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    The more need we take from humans to think for them selves the less humans will need ability to think for themselves.

Thank Post
    My mother needs one. It really is about time the police took her licence away; she is a nightmare on the road. Very inattentive. She doesn't have any accidents but she sure sees a lot of them.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    My mother needs one. It really is about time the police took her licence away; she is a nightmare on the road. Very inattentive. She doesn't have any accidents but she sure sees a lot of them.
    Yep, my dad is similar. Thankfully it's extremely rare he drives now after having a bump in stationary traffic! That was his choice, and that's the problem; how can you tell someone who's been driving for years that they are now past it? After a certain age or major change in health you should be made to sit a "refresher" test.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    If you have concerns about someone driving, it is best to shop them to the DVLA. They can get the person assessed. My family had to do this for my grandfather. His license was, eventually, taken away.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Davit2005 View Post
    The more need we take from humans to think for them selves the less humans will need ability to think for themselves.
    Glib and ... wrong? Perhaps I just don't get what it is meant to mean.

In relation to the automation of tasks, we have increasingly automated more and more since the earliest recorded history. Not having to "think about" fetching water from the stream simply freed us up to think about other things, some of which were how to automate more complicated things. Taking away our need to think about something doesn't mean we will think less.

In relation to driving - I'm not even sure how much 'thinking' plays a part. Drivers seem to make more mistakes when they start to 'think' about what they are doing. Most people drive on a sort of automatic pilot - they actually 'think' about other things.

Finally it seems to me to miss an essential characteristic of humans; we could accurately be described as "thinking machines". Try for a moment not to think - to clear your mind and eliminate entirely the process of thought. It is barely even possible to consider the notion of not thinking as a possibility. Your "need" to "think" is built in in the same way as a CPU's need to change state. You can't not do it and someone inventing a new machine to perform a task, doesn't really affect it.

I like the idea of driver less cars. At least if one crashes into you it won't be because it thought it had a right to use a public road as a race track, be just a little drunk, or driving along the M1 at 80 swerving around the general area of the middle lane because you are sending a text message on your iPhone. Well, not unless it's the AI in Assetto Corsa.

Thank Post
    I would love a Bugatti Veyron edition. From my house to school in under a minute. From here to the conference in tad over an hour.

Thank Post
    If they're made by Google, you'll tell the car to go to Sainsburys and you'll end up at Tesco as they've paid Google a bigger advertising fee.

Thank Post
    My grandad was stopped driving by his insurance company refusing to cover him with his motability car, my family breathed a huge sigh of relief as he was intent on staying on the road and would not listen or entertain giving up driving despite being 77 at the time, with poor reflexes, attention and awareness, he was politely refused a renewal because of minor accidents where he's pranged the car and not damaged anyone else thankfully, being egged on to keep driving by my grandmother unbelievably, it's been hard on them to give up that freedom though since then

Something like this would be good for them if it ever took off nationwide, though I do think a comment I read about it on another website, you will have probs in urban areas with people thinking its funny to jump out in front of these vehicles and slow the journey to a crawl essentially.

Thank Post
    I wouldn't like it. The one thing I like about driving is that we drive the cars we can have some fun in them, imagine that one day a Bugatti Veyron is sitting in front of you.... You want to drive it right? Well guess what you can't the car drives itself! Pfft. Boring.

Also on another note, what about age limits on driving surely if the car drives itself then in theory a minor could hop into it and it would drive it where that person wants to go, what about the billion pound industry that is Taxi's are we going to put them out of a job as people wouldn't need a driving license or even be sober to "drive"? How needed is insurance if the car could never crash and would keep to legal limits, public transport blah blah.
    The impact on the overall economy and an already congested Britain would cause mayhem, more people will buy these things then use public transport, though I suppose it would make Google even richer than they already are. I for one am not for these cars ever becoming public.

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Glib and ... wrong? Perhaps I just don't get what it is meant to mean.

In relation to the automation of tasks, we have increasingly automated more and more since the earliest recorded history. Not having to "think about" fetching water from the stream simply freed us up to think about other things, some of which were how to automate more complicated things. Taking away our need to think about something doesn't mean we will think less.

In relation to driving - I'm not even sure how much 'thinking' plays a part. Drivers seem to make more mistakes when they start to 'think' about what they are doing. Most people drive on a sort of automatic pilot - they actually 'think' about other things.

Finally it seems to me to miss an essential characteristic of humans; we could accurately be described as "thinking machines". Try for a moment not to think - to clear your mind and eliminate entirely the process of thought. It is barely even possible to consider the notion of not thinking as a possibility. Your "need" to "think" is built in in the same way as a CPU's need to change state. You can't not do it and someone inventing a new machine to perform a task, doesn't really affect it.

I like the idea of driver less cars. At least if one crashes into you it won't be because it thought it had a right to use a public road as a race track, be just a little drunk, or driving along the M1 at 80 swerving around the general area of the middle lane because you are sending a text message on your iPhone. Well, not unless it's the AI in Assetto Corsa.
    From a safety point of view yes it may be a good idea, whether it will work in practice I guess they should try it in the center of Paris or somewhere like that if they are brave enough.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    I wouldn't like it. The one thing I like about driving is that we drive the cars we can have some fun in them, imagine that one day a Bugatti Veyron is sitting in front of you.... You want to drive it right? Well guess what you can't the car drives itself! Pfft. Boring.

Also on another note, what about age limits on driving surely if the car drives itself then in theory a minor could hop into it and it would drive it where that person wants to go, what about the billion pound industry that is Taxi's are we going to put them out of a job as people wouldn't need a driving license or even be sober to "drive"? How needed is insurance if the car could never crash and would keep to legal limits, public transport blah blah.
    The impact on the overall economy and an already congested Britain would cause mayhem, more people will buy these things then use public transport, though I suppose it would make Google even richer than they already are. I for one am not for these cars ever becoming public.
    Taxis - tough. It's called progress.
    Insurance - good, about time that money making racket was put in its place.
    Public transport - good riddance. That's what it gets for decades of underinvestment.

Don't really see your argument tbh. Would you really have us all living in caves and foraging for food because we don't want to put the hunter gatherers out of business by creating farms?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    They could ease congestion by being more efficient in their progress, they could talk to each other and move as one, they wont cut into a lane reduction at the last min causing more traffic jams, they wont go at 100mph or up the wrong lane of a motorway and they might be able to actually park correctly unlike 90% of the people that live in my road.

Public transport sucks balls, the old victorian bridges restrict train height and width of trains and no one wants new HS lines. Buses only go to limited places at limited time. Taxis are too expensive.

I prefer to see this as this the future of public transport or like the PAYG bikes in cities rather than a straight car replacement.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast