+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 22
Blue Skies Thread, Self Drive Cars in General; Who would have thought that a company that started out as a humble search engine would develop into such a ...
  1. #1
    speckytecky's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,497
    Thank Post
    3,372
    Thanked 256 Times in 209 Posts
    Blog Entries
    3
    Rep Power
    109

    Self Drive Cars

    Who would have thought that a company that started out as a humble search engine would develop into such a major player so quickly making such a huge difference:

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27587558

    Well done Google maybe one day we will have multi layer transport systems all with self driving vehicles and even better still maybe Google will have worked out a prevention / cure for that other frightening scourge that sadly like road collisions touches so many lives - cancer.
    Last edited by speckytecky; 28th May 2014 at 08:06 AM.

  2. #2


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,749
    Thank Post
    221
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,936 Posts
    Rep Power
    778
    I think I'll wait for the GTI edition.



    I bet Google's car will be very popular with OAPs though.

    Last edited by Arthur; 28th May 2014 at 10:21 AM.

  3. #3


    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    51.405546, -0.510212
    Posts
    8,749
    Thank Post
    221
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,936 Posts
    Rep Power
    778
    BMWs self-driving (and drifting) M235i is very cool too.


  4. #4

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Posts
    730
    Thank Post
    170
    Thanked 56 Times in 54 Posts
    Rep Power
    35
    The more need we take from humans to think for them selves the less humans will need ability to think for themselves.

  5. #5

    unixman_again's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    677
    Thank Post
    26
    Thanked 136 Times in 103 Posts
    Rep Power
    134
    My mother needs one. It really is about time the police took her licence away; she is a nightmare on the road. Very inattentive. She doesn't have any accidents but she sure sees a lot of them.

  6. #6


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,411
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by unixman_again View Post
    My mother needs one. It really is about time the police took her licence away; she is a nightmare on the road. Very inattentive. She doesn't have any accidents but she sure sees a lot of them.
    Yep, my dad is similar. Thankfully it's extremely rare he drives now after having a bump in stationary traffic! That was his choice, and that's the problem; how can you tell someone who's been driving for years that they are now past it? After a certain age or major change in health you should be made to sit a "refresher" test.

  7. #7

    elsiegee40's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Kent
    Posts
    10,699
    Thank Post
    1,782
    Thanked 2,168 Times in 1,603 Posts
    Rep Power
    769
    If you have concerns about someone driving, it is best to shop them to the DVLA. They can get the person assessed. My family had to do this for my grandfather. His license was, eventually, taken away.

  8. #8


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    2,914
    Thank Post
    259
    Thanked 770 Times in 585 Posts
    Rep Power
    270
    Quote Originally Posted by Davit2005 View Post
    The more need we take from humans to think for them selves the less humans will need ability to think for themselves.
    Glib and ... wrong? Perhaps I just don't get what it is meant to mean.

    In relation to the automation of tasks, we have increasingly automated more and more since the earliest recorded history. Not having to "think about" fetching water from the stream simply freed us up to think about other things, some of which were how to automate more complicated things. Taking away our need to think about something doesn't mean we will think less.

    In relation to driving - I'm not even sure how much 'thinking' plays a part. Drivers seem to make more mistakes when they start to 'think' about what they are doing. Most people drive on a sort of automatic pilot - they actually 'think' about other things.

    Finally it seems to me to miss an essential characteristic of humans; we could accurately be described as "thinking machines". Try for a moment not to think - to clear your mind and eliminate entirely the process of thought. It is barely even possible to consider the notion of not thinking as a possibility. Your "need" to "think" is built in in the same way as a CPU's need to change state. You can't not do it and someone inventing a new machine to perform a task, doesn't really affect it.

    I like the idea of driver less cars. At least if one crashes into you it won't be because it thought it had a right to use a public road as a race track, be just a little drunk, or driving along the M1 at 80 swerving around the general area of the middle lane because you are sending a text message on your iPhone. Well, not unless it's the AI in Assetto Corsa.

  9. #9
    hawc's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Somewhere in one of the Shires.....
    Posts
    754
    Thank Post
    73
    Thanked 75 Times in 57 Posts
    Rep Power
    36
    I would love a Bugatti Veyron edition. From my house to school in under a minute. From here to the conference in tad over an hour.

  10. #10

    teejay's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    3,167
    Thank Post
    284
    Thanked 770 Times in 580 Posts
    Rep Power
    334
    If they're made by Google, you'll tell the car to go to Sainsburys and you'll end up at Tesco as they've paid Google a bigger advertising fee.

  11. #11
    rich_tech's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    1,024
    Thank Post
    129
    Thanked 131 Times in 114 Posts
    Rep Power
    63
    My grandad was stopped driving by his insurance company refusing to cover him with his motability car, my family breathed a huge sigh of relief as he was intent on staying on the road and would not listen or entertain giving up driving despite being 77 at the time, with poor reflexes, attention and awareness, he was politely refused a renewal because of minor accidents where he's pranged the car and not damaged anyone else thankfully, being egged on to keep driving by my grandmother unbelievably, it's been hard on them to give up that freedom though since then

    Something like this would be good for them if it ever took off nationwide, though I do think a comment I read about it on another website, you will have probs in urban areas with people thinking its funny to jump out in front of these vehicles and slow the journey to a crawl essentially.

  12. #12

    abillybob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Shropshire
    Posts
    2,398
    Thank Post
    209
    Thanked 302 Times in 223 Posts
    Rep Power
    191
    I wouldn't like it. The one thing I like about driving is that we drive the cars we can have some fun in them, imagine that one day a Bugatti Veyron is sitting in front of you.... You want to drive it right? Well guess what you can't the car drives itself! Pfft. Boring.

    Also on another note, what about age limits on driving surely if the car drives itself then in theory a minor could hop into it and it would drive it where that person wants to go, what about the billion pound industry that is Taxi's are we going to put them out of a job as people wouldn't need a driving license or even be sober to "drive"? How needed is insurance if the car could never crash and would keep to legal limits, public transport blah blah.
    The impact on the overall economy and an already congested Britain would cause mayhem, more people will buy these things then use public transport, though I suppose it would make Google even richer than they already are. I for one am not for these cars ever becoming public.

  13. #13

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Posts
    730
    Thank Post
    170
    Thanked 56 Times in 54 Posts
    Rep Power
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    Glib and ... wrong? Perhaps I just don't get what it is meant to mean.

    In relation to the automation of tasks, we have increasingly automated more and more since the earliest recorded history. Not having to "think about" fetching water from the stream simply freed us up to think about other things, some of which were how to automate more complicated things. Taking away our need to think about something doesn't mean we will think less.

    In relation to driving - I'm not even sure how much 'thinking' plays a part. Drivers seem to make more mistakes when they start to 'think' about what they are doing. Most people drive on a sort of automatic pilot - they actually 'think' about other things.

    Finally it seems to me to miss an essential characteristic of humans; we could accurately be described as "thinking machines". Try for a moment not to think - to clear your mind and eliminate entirely the process of thought. It is barely even possible to consider the notion of not thinking as a possibility. Your "need" to "think" is built in in the same way as a CPU's need to change state. You can't not do it and someone inventing a new machine to perform a task, doesn't really affect it.

    I like the idea of driver less cars. At least if one crashes into you it won't be because it thought it had a right to use a public road as a race track, be just a little drunk, or driving along the M1 at 80 swerving around the general area of the middle lane because you are sending a text message on your iPhone. Well, not unless it's the AI in Assetto Corsa.
    From a safety point of view yes it may be a good idea, whether it will work in practice I guess they should try it in the center of Paris or somewhere like that if they are brave enough.

  14. #14


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,411
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    I wouldn't like it. The one thing I like about driving is that we drive the cars we can have some fun in them, imagine that one day a Bugatti Veyron is sitting in front of you.... You want to drive it right? Well guess what you can't the car drives itself! Pfft. Boring.

    Also on another note, what about age limits on driving surely if the car drives itself then in theory a minor could hop into it and it would drive it where that person wants to go, what about the billion pound industry that is Taxi's are we going to put them out of a job as people wouldn't need a driving license or even be sober to "drive"? How needed is insurance if the car could never crash and would keep to legal limits, public transport blah blah.
    The impact on the overall economy and an already congested Britain would cause mayhem, more people will buy these things then use public transport, though I suppose it would make Google even richer than they already are. I for one am not for these cars ever becoming public.
    Taxis - tough. It's called progress.
    Insurance - good, about time that money making racket was put in its place.
    Public transport - good riddance. That's what it gets for decades of underinvestment.

    Don't really see your argument tbh. Would you really have us all living in caves and foraging for food because we don't want to put the hunter gatherers out of business by creating farms?

  15. #15

    Theblacksheep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    In a house.
    Posts
    1,931
    Thank Post
    138
    Thanked 290 Times in 210 Posts
    Rep Power
    193
    Quote Originally Posted by abillybob View Post
    The impact on the overall economy and an already congested Britain would cause mayhem, more people will buy these things then use public transport, though I suppose it would make Google even richer than they already are. I for one am not for these cars ever becoming public.
    They could ease congestion by being more efficient in their progress, they could talk to each other and move as one, they wont cut into a lane reduction at the last min causing more traffic jams, they wont go at 100mph or up the wrong lane of a motorway and they might be able to actually park correctly unlike 90% of the people that live in my road.

    Public transport sucks balls, the old victorian bridges restrict train height and width of trains and no one wants new HS lines. Buses only go to limited places at limited time. Taxis are too expensive.

    I prefer to see this as this the future of public transport or like the PAYG bikes in cities rather than a straight car replacement.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Car - Practical Driving Test
    By cpjitservices in forum General Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 17th March 2014, 03:03 PM
  2. In car drive recorder. Finevu cr-500hd vs Roadhawk HD?
    By dany2010 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 6th June 2013, 09:38 AM
  3. [Video] Rear wheel drive car + silly woman + snow + leaving it gear = IDIOT.
    By mattx in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 22nd December 2010, 03:28 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 27th November 2010, 08:29 AM
  5. [Pics] Why women shouldn't drive cars....
    By tech_guy in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 31st October 2008, 08:33 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •