+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Blue Skies Thread, 30 years from now? in General; Did anyone read the recent New Scientist article on Chaogates? They are a gate (NAND, NOR etc) that can be ...

Thank Post
    Did anyone read the recent New Scientist article on Chaogates? They are a gate (NAND, NOR etc) that can be reprogrammed on the fly to change their characteristics. ie for one cycle it is a NOR a few nanoseconds later it is a NAND.

There is an overhead in controlling them, but they expect an order of magnitude reduction in transistor count in chips. Also aiming to use them in memory.

Not only can they change to speed processing, but they could make chips self-healing.

Read more here (and no, I don't pretend to understand all of it!)

Ditto and his colleagues are stripping down their chaotic circuits to see just how few transistors they can get away with. They calculate that they can reduce the 750 million transistors used in one of the latest graphics processor chips by an order of magnitude. "We might get away with 75 million transistors," he says. This is not just an matter of saving space. Powerful graphics chips consume a large amount of power and throw out heat that has to be removed. Chaogates could reduce power consumption and perhaps eliminate the need for fans to keep these chips from overheating.
    Last edited by Andrew_C; 18th November 2008 at 09:22 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti View Post
    Most plastics are thermosetting and cannot be recycled like thermoplastic can, so it's not just a case of having a good recycling program, as we can for aluminium.
    being able to recycle things we currently can not is just as much a possibility...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti View Post
    due to petroleum prices and shortages.
    Petrol Shortages? I think you've been listening to the goverment too much and there excuses on green tax.

One of my close friends works for shell and his job is to find new oil deposits in Africa (one of 4 on the team), and he tells me there is enough fuel to last well over another 100 years, and we keep getting told there is only 20, 30 years worth left and its all lies. Now who would you believe the goverment or the people who actually find, refine and sell the stuff?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Petrol Shortages? I think you've been listening to the goverment too much and there excuses on green tax.

One of my close friends works for shell and his job is to find new oil deposits in Africa (one of 4 on the team), and he tells me there is enough fuel to last well over another 100 years, and we keep getting told there is only 20, 30 years worth left and its all lies. Now who would you believe the goverment or the people who actually find, refine and sell the stuff?
    People independent to fuel companies! Is that guy's estimates based on todays usage figures? Or are they based on the exponential increase in fuel usage that is and has been happening?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    People independent to fuel companies! Is that guy's estimates based on todays usage figures? Or are they based on the exponential increase in fuel usage that is and has been happening?
    I can get more information out of him, but he's currently on a place back home to the netherlands. I will ask him for more indepth detail.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123