+ Post New Thread
Blue Skies Thread, Thoughts on Classroom approach in General; Planning for our new Sixth form build in well under way ready for opening in September 2014. Focus is now ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thoughts on Classroom approach

Planning for our new Sixth form build in well under way ready for opening in September 2014. Focus is now switching to how they want the 'general' classrooms to be. I've been informed by the Head that they want an 'uncluttered' and 'business approach' to the ICT and layout for these classrooms. As the class numbers will be smaller, the arrangement will be more 'conference' like rather than traditional classroom layout with an 'ICT' wall where a projector or large TV will be in place. They want to get away from the approach of a teachers desk at the front of the room. The ability for the teacher to sit in the group, with some sort of device that they can control elements of the AV.

I can hear people shouting Apple TV and iPads at this point, but we're not an Apple school in anyway. The rooms will not be 'owned' by one person, all the equipment to run the room will stay in the room. I've been asking the questions about wether or not Smart Boards are required or not, as we could look down the route of using large displays instead of projectors.

But thinking really how all this would fit together, what technology to use, etc and would welcome input from my fellow edugeekers!

Pete

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be honest i would have your screen on the wall, a pc connected and then a bluetooth keyboard and mouse so it can be controlled form the table in the middle. Nice and simple, cheap and no clutter.

3. Thanks to FN-GM from:

FragglePete (12th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FragglePete View Post
    I can hear people shouting Apple TV and iPads at this point, but we're not an Apple school in anyway. The rooms will not be 'owned' by one person, all the equipment to run the room will stay in the room.
    Whether you use projector or monitors, get PCs small enough to be either wall mounted or mounted on the projector mount out of the way. The Intel NUC might do very nicly - a full Intel PC, complete with dual video output ports, in a very small size.

For interactivity, as pointed out above I'd get a wireless keyboard and mouse for each classroom. Make sure you have spares, and sort out how you're going to provide batteries. Install AirServer or similar on your PCs so you can mirror iPads to the desktop (AirServer actually lets you mirror multiple iPads to one screen, which is a very handy feature in a classroom setting). Also install VNC server for each classroom PC, then you can use various iOS / Android apps that can control a mouse cursor via VNC from a mobile device.

Handily, we find that the teachers interested in using an iPad or similar in the classroom tend to be the ones that have their own iPad and are willing to bring it in to work with them, so the hardware kind of takes care of itself.

5. Thanks to dhicks from:

FragglePete (12th June 2013)

Thank Post
    Rather crude, sorry. Desking around the edge with 20 workstations. Centre desk with teacher station (green area) and the rest work space. IWB with short throw projector on wall (red area)

Untitled.jpg

Thank Post
    How about something like an LED interactive screen (Sahara Clevertouch) and Display Note software. this way what ever device you want to collaborate with (Staff & Student) can connect and share their desktop. Teacher can walk around the room while presenting to the students. seems to cover all devices (Android, IOS, Windows) just not blackberry yet. keeps options open on supplying devices or BYOD.

8. Thanks to SDM01 from:

FragglePete (14th June 2013)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread