+ Post New Thread
Blue Skies Thread, classroom of the future in General; Imagine with no financial constraints, what would the classroom of the future look like?...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

classroom of the future

Imagine with no financial constraints, what would the classroom of the future look like?

Thank Post
    I'm prepared for flaming when I say this, but how about an office!. Students given their own private work areas where they can keep their learning tools combined with breakout areas for variants on usual work, perhaps team work or quiet reading.

In terms of technology each student would have a desktop pc, a charging dock for all their portable tech, Maybe a phone?

3. Thanks to strawberry from:

RabbieBurns (21st March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Am I allowed to make technology up as well?

Students with 7-10" slates, running a colour e-ink screen and low power internals so the battery lasts all week and just needs recharging at weekends. Textbooks stored in the cloud/on school servers, cached locally so they can be accessed at home or away from internet signal. Fold out keyboards (e.g. Surface Touch Cover) for basic word processing.

Staff with 10-12" tablets, running full OLED screens and full-fat internals, with battery to last a day. Docking stations to connect to a full monitor/keyboard/mouse at the teacher's desk. Projector connected wirelessly as a second display.

Proximity & location aware classroom-area mesh networking between all these devices, controllable by the teacher. At a minimum, the teacher's tablet and student slates are connected, so that the teacher can pull work over with a swipe from the side, then: fling it up to the projector with a swipe up or work on it and send it back; work on it and send it back; send it round to everyone else; etc... Can also enable connections between student devices, either en masse or in pairs etc. for working together. EDIT: NFC to pair via high-speed-short-range WiFi would do this, rather than something knowing the absolute locations of every device in the classroom.

None of that is really invented technology, more convergence of several existing trends and planned tech. Just needs someone to implement it all. My consultancy fees are very reasonable.

No remote teachers, no ability to contact your teacher out of hours for support. Stupid ideas both, those, because teachers are humans and will never volunteer for them
    Last edited by sonofsanta; 21st March 2013 at 10:08 AM.

5. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

RabbieBurns (21st March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    I'm prepared for flaming when I say this, but how about an office!. Students given their own private work areas where they can keep their learning tools combined with breakout areas for variants on usual work, perhaps team work or quiet reading.

In terms of technology each student would have a desktop pc, a charging dock for all their portable tech, Maybe a phone?
    I have to say this does actually sound like quite a good idea - perhaps not 100% feasible but a good idea.

In my opinion I think it will be that each desk simple have a keyboard,mouse, monitor and a docking station - which has a universal connector. Newer modern devices whether it be a mobile, tablet, laptop whatever can be plugged in and accessed like a full desktop - then business/education apps are delivered from the core via VDI/RDS or something like VMware Mirage.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sonofsanta View Post
    Am I allowed to make technology up as well?

Students with 7-10" slates, running a colour e-ink screen and low power internals so the battery lasts all week and just needs recharging at weekends. Textbooks stored in the cloud/on school servers, cached locally so they can be accessed at home or away from internet signal. Fold out keyboards (e.g. Surface Touch Cover) for basic word processing.

Staff with 10-12" tablets, running full OLED screens and full-fat internals, with battery to last a day. Docking stations to connect to a full monitor/keyboard/mouse at the teacher's desk. Projector connected wirelessly as a second display.

Proximity & location aware classroom-area mesh networking between all these devices, controllable by the teacher. At a minimum, the teacher's tablet and student slates are connected, so that the teacher can pull work over with a swipe from the side, then: fling it up to the projector with a swipe up or work on it and send it back; work on it and send it back; send it round to everyone else; etc... Can also enable connections between student devices, either en masse or in pairs etc. for working together. EDIT: NFC to pair via high-speed-short-range WiFi would do this, rather than something knowing the absolute locations of every device in the classroom.

None of that is really invented technology, more convergence of several existing trends and planned tech. Just needs someone to implement it all. My consultancy fees are very reasonable.

No remote teachers, no ability to contact your teacher out of hours for support. Stupid ideas both, those, because teachers are humans and will never volunteer for them
    I suppose you have actually found a teacher that could do all that?

We had one that could turn a computer on once, but he left

Thank Post
    Projector connected wirelessly as a second display.
    Stream Laptop Content over HDTV with Intel® Wireless Display

I've seen WiDi being used with some projectors at Microsoft events..

Thank Post
    A classroom with teaching assistants playing pre-recorded lessons by a super pro whizz grade A+ teacher where everything that is required is covered.
    All students receive the same very best tuition course material and have access to it 24/7 via a super pro whizzbang VLE.
    Students with learning disabilities have a chip fitted to their cerebral cortex to by-pass their disabilities and ensure they receive the correct amount of stimulus to keep them on task (0 to 240v (Parental consent required)).
    All students can complete the required amount of work in or out of school, with web cam support for those not able to get into school.
    All coursework is in multiple languages.
    Not a single teacher is needed to balls it all up.

Thank Post
    sea-island-beaches.jpg

Like this? No WiFi, no printers, no kids, and no teachers!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,428 Times in 982 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VeryPC_Tom_M View Post
    Stream Laptop Content over HDTV with Intel® Wireless Display

I've seen WiDi being used with some projectors at Microsoft events..
    That's what I mean, a lot of this stuff is out there already (or imminent), it just needs tying together in one nice package. Same way all the ingredients for smartphones were out there, and all Apple did was package it up into the iPhone - no revolutionary tech, in particular, just a revolutionary application of it all.

Quote Originally Posted by alan-d View Post
    I suppose you have actually found a teacher that could do all that?

We had one that could turn a computer on once, but he left
    There's a couple here could... but I suspect for the vast majority it would be a shiny doohickey used on a training day and nevermore. But hey, this is Blue Skies, a man's allowed to dream!

Although I suspect pickup would be driven by students wanting staff to use it and saying "Mr Smith uses it in his lessons, it's amazing..." - there's nothing quite like professional jealousy to push people onwards

Thank Post
    That's what I mean, a lot of this stuff is out there already (or imminent), it just needs tying together in one nice package. Same way all the ingredients for smartphones were out there, and all Apple did was package it up into the iPhone - no revolutionary tech, in particular, just a revolutionary application of it all.
    WiDi's VERY picky about using Intel-only hardware from what I've seen.. Intel® Wireless Display — System requirements for the Intel® Wireless Display

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Galway View Post
    A classroom with teaching assistants playing pre-recorded lessons by a super pro whizz grade A+ teacher where everything that is required is covered.
    All students receive the same very best tuition course material and have access to it 24/7 via a super pro whizzbang VLE.
    Students with learning disabilities have a chip fitted to their cerebral cortex to by-pass their disabilities and ensure they receive the correct amount of stimulus to keep them on task (0 to 240v (Parental consent required)).
    All students can complete the required amount of work in or out of school, with web cam support for those not able to get into school.
    All coursework is in multiple languages.
    Not a single teacher is needed to balls it all up.

Until they microwave their Chinese still in foil next to the kid with learning disabilities

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread