+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Blue Skies Thread, IT Support - are we underselling ourselves? in General; Originally Posted by FishCustard . When 3 of 4 engines are on fire, you want an experienced pilot at the ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FishCustard View Post
    . When 3 of 4 engines are on fire, you want an experienced pilot at the helm. When your PDC explodes, you want an experienced IT techie putting things back together.
    a really experienced engineer would have correctly maintained his equipment so as not have the problem to start with.

Thank Post
    Assuming SLT gave him the resources to do so. Often this is not the case and the inevitable problems will arise. It's the old myth that "a poor workman blames his tools", which considering the way our profession is typically managed - in all sectors - is a nonsense. A practical analogy would be that there are some screws you're only going to remove if you've got (read: been given) the correct screwdriver. Otherwise it's not happening, all other factors aside. Don't judge that workman.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephelyon View Post
    Assuming SLT gave him the resources to do so. Often this is not the case and the inevitable problems will arise. It's the old myth that "a poor workman blames his tools", which considering the way our profession is typically managed - in all sectors - is a nonsense. A practical analogy would be that there are some screws you're only going to remove if you've got (read: been given) the correct screwdriver. Otherwise it's not happening, all other factors aside. Don't judge that workman.
    I totally agree way more than you would ever know, I wasn't being serious if you were replying to my post.

Thank Post
    I see, my apologies. I've been dealing with a little bit of that today as it happens, so I think I over-reacted. All in the same boat and whatnot.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ephelyon View Post
    I see, my apologies. I've been dealing with a little bit of that today as it happens, so I think I over-reacted. All in the same boat and whatnot.
    i didn't think you over-reacted at all mate, don't worry! was just agreeing with you that's all, my first comment was my light relief from the nonsense i'm currently having to deal with.

Thank Post
    True, it's difficult when we see expectations of that nature being laid upon us.

Until/unless we manage to change the fact that Leadership Teams are going to be composed primarily of people with a background in a single profession, we're going to have to accept the fact that they will mainly view individual professionals' results in terms of educational outcomes (that's what Performance Management means in their own profession, after all). The key is to find ways of drawing our activities back to exactly that, which sometimes means going round the houses to do so.

Thank Post
    Whats the phrase I found on this site some time ago?

If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
    That sums our jobs up quite nicely!

Thank Post
    I used to but no longer do.

I was one of the oldies who "changed down" in life and took a tech job paying peanuts just to stop my wife from saying |when are you going to get a job again"

But I've risen up the scales (said bye to a few schools - said hello to a few schools) and now I'm actually sought after (10 years in the job mind) and get paid Net Manager/HLTA pay.

Youngsters have come along and took the jobs as part-time techys and are now Net Managers or living the high life down in London with Domino, troibleshooting around the globe on 100K a year

So, as with everything, start at the bottom, work hard and move on up and if they won't move up up, move out and go somewhere else

Si

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123