+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Blue Skies Thread, Does your school teach Flash animation? Is Flash Obsolete? in General; Originally Posted by dhicks Flash-the-propriatory-runtime, or Flash-the-rapid-application-development-and-animation-tool? I can't see any good reason why Adobe wouldn't just keep the Flash ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Flash-the-propriatory-runtime, or Flash-the-rapid-application-development-and-animation-tool? I can't see any good reason why Adobe wouldn't just keep the Flash IDE and get it to output HTML / JavaScript / CSS - after all, it's that tool they make money from, maintaining a runtime for every available platform must cost a fair bit. I'd guess Flash, as a good package to do animation and so on, will be around in the future.
    I think that's what they are doing, I'm pretty sure their elearning ide's can output for html5 on mobile devices.

And it think that's pretty important, given the vast number of people familiar and productive with the flash ide. Their designed for html5 development products are fledgling, so i don't think your going to get tonnes of people with years of flash and action script experience dumping it all to go with far less mature tools.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Flash is unstable on any platform that isn't Windows, and even on Windows it is, as I said, a resource hog
    I don't quite understand why though - ActionScript is, after all, based on ECMAScript, the same as JavaScript, you'd think performance would be about the same. Does Flash have a more demanding underlying geometrical modelling system (in Flash, you can create a new shape by cutting one shape out of another, which must take some pretty decent underlying maths somewhere along the line), or has the open nature of JavaScript simply driven development, with rival browsers trying to out-perform each other?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I don't quite understand why though - ActionScript is, after all, based on ECMAScript, the same as JavaScript, you'd think performance would be about the same. Does Flash have a more demanding underlying geometrical modelling system (in Flash, you can create a new shape by cutting one shape out of another, which must take some pretty decent underlying maths somewhere along the line), or has the open nature of JavaScript simply driven development, with rival browsers trying to out-perform each other?
    JavaScript was a slow beast too until the last few years when Apple and Google both started refining it with *much* faster implementations.

Thank Post
    Flash isnt obsolete.' Unless you're only talking about websites.

People need to look beyond websites. Flash can still be used in apps without relying on flash on the system.

Check out Mark of Ninja on XBL or Steam. A great games and its flash made animation simple. Its about teaching kids the principal thats really important. Tools will always change.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12