+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Birmingham Grid for Learning (BGfL) Thread, Link2ICT subscription charges in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Zimbra. Imagine having to pay for that! Imagine having to pay people to look after a school network! ;b That ...

Thank Post
    Zimbra. Imagine having to pay for that!
    Imagine having to pay people to look after a school network! ;b

That something is "free" (please let's skip the when is/isn't Zimbra free debate) doesn't disappear the need for resources to host, configure, manage and support it... and probably ditto for added industrial strength de-spamming/AV etc.

Edugeeks don't often seem to factor in the cost of their time for doing things like Live@Edu/Google Apps/Whatever. One tentative conclusion you *could* draw: They have lots of time to spare and the "hard, perpetually busy" talk we frequently hear, is in fact a crock.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    In terms of time to manage free systems, such as Live@Edu, the initial setup time can be quite high, as it is with any high end server product, but on-going maintance and support is usually minimal, as with cloud services (if were picking them for this point) you don't have any server patching, product updates, anti-virus, backups etc to worry about, in the case of cloud e-mail it seems to be just manage accounts, mailing lists etc, and these can be Active Directory integrated in many cases so you make a new user they get a mailbox, you delete a user they loose the mailbox, so they time taken can be much less longer term.

I don't really spend much time on my Exchange server now its up and running, its really does look after itself, the same with my SQL box, Home Access+ etc...

Thank Post
    Have faxed over the completed form...

Getting rid of moodle as I wasnt impressed by it! Saving £809.50

Getting rid of the admin remote backup which they were charging £754 and instead using
    a company called Gigasoft to backup 50GB's worth of data on both curric AND admin servers for £540 Saving £214

Migrating form Zimbra to Live@Edu Saving £565.65

Total Saving £1,589.15

Next year im going to look into getting down the price on the BGFL ISP Subscription which is approx £6000
    Last edited by owen1978; 10th March 2011 at 09:33 AM.

Thank Post
    WIth Gigasoft do you know where you data is being held? Is it in the EU?

At least with the L2ICT remote backup you know where it is and can hold of it quickly if there's a problem. L2ICT use Redstor and tend to underquote them for their own product!

I do want to move to Live@Edu but I've only just got my SLT using a shared Zimbra calendar. None of the teaching staff use email. It's not a politically good time to switch sadly. Six months down the line probably.

Was anyone else at the conference today? I loved the 100% up time of the L2ICT internet line? So what happened with that power cut two weeks ago? You can't really try and hoodwink people that that!

£500 for Zimbra? I'm only paying £160 odd, that's why I didn't try and push LiveEdu in a couple of weeks.

Thank Post
    Secured Data UK Centre

We moved to Zimbra start of the year lol... now moving again!...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    Was anyone else at the conference today?
    Yeah, I was there on behalf of my team.

I loved the 100% up time of the L2ICT internet line? So what happened with that power cut two weeks ago?
    I believe the uptime is regarding the actual line connectivity. So whilst you may not be able to get out to the rest of the world other services such as remote support or backup would still be functional.

Not that would be of any use to other users attempting to do real work online

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12