+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
Birmingham Grid for Learning (BGfL) Thread, Zimbra in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Originally Posted by CHR1S smtp needs different settings for outside access, ring them and they will give them to you. ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    smtp needs different settings for outside access, ring them and they will give them to you.

Dunno about internal accessto other pop/imap etc
    Do those alternate smtp setting work inside bgfl? If not then the mobile user must continuously toggle between the two settings.

Thank Post
    Yes, they are universal.

Thank Post
    ok, I will call them again but last time i asked they said i should use the smtp settings of the isp i am using which of course is a non starter.

I'm hoping that the universal setting is for a true "roaming" smtp server which i guess must have authentication otherwise it would be used to route spam.

Thank Post
    Link2ICT Zimbra Password Lockout Policy
    Dear Link2ICT,
    Why oh why oh why have you conspired to make my life a misery!!!

1.You have imposed a draconian password lockout policy of three failed login attempts then lockout for ever!
    2. There is a 30-60 second delay in resetting accounts passwords

Imagine a student gets his password wrong 3 times the account is locked out. Zimbra does not tell the end user this. They just get the same error as they would if they got the password wrong.
    They come to see a technician to reset their password. We reset it and unlock the account.
    They go back to their PC and type in the new correct password but it fails due to the 30 second delay, they lock out the account again.
    Technician pulls out hair!!
    Technician resets and unlocks account again this time remembers to tell kid to wait 2 minutes before attempting to log in.

What a bloody nightmare!!!!!

They will not change their policies due to child protection but they have not implemented complex password requirements (secretly glad they have not)
    Also we do not use the "BECTA approved" username format which anonymises the student name but is hard to remember.

Thank Post
    Great isnt it, I ring up L2ICT or use the web chat when I get the lockout bug, they will change their minds when they get sick of unlocking the accounts for me

Thank Post
    the lockout policy is actually an open door to denial of service attacks on the admin accounts. All the attacker needs to know is the e-mail address and the webmail URL

Thank Post
    Link2ICT have deleted over 300 of our Zimbra accounts despite being told not to. I had already deleted the old year 6 pupils that had left and was about to create the 90 new accounts for this years year 3. Then they come along and delete 3 year groups and a lot of our TAs becuase the accounts are not used very frequently.

I'm not going to bother creating new Zimbra accounts for children now, whats the point if they are just going to come along and delete them?

Ontop of that they cant make their minds up what they are doing with email they detect as spam, 1st it goes into a seperate account (I really dont see the point) then they changed it and sent it to users junk folder and now we have gone back to having seperate accounts for email detected as spam...

I want to ditch Zimbra (at least for the kids accounts) and I'm open to suggestions if any of you have already gone down this route.
    Last edited by ToyHeartsFan; 15th November 2011 at 12:49 PM. Reason: typo

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToyHeartsFan View Post
    Link2ICT have deleted over 300 of our Zimbra accounts despite being told not to. I had already deleted the old year 6 pupils that had left and was about to create the 90 new accounts for this years year 3. Then they come along and delete 3 year groups and a lot of our TAs becuase the accounts are not used very frequently.

I'm not going to bother creating new Zimbra accounts for children now, whats the point if they are just going to come along and delete them?

Ontop of that they cant make their minds up what they are doing with email they detect as spam, 1st it goes into a seperate account (I really dont see the point) then they changed it and sent it to users junk folder and now we have gone back to having seperate accounts for email detected as spam...

I want to ditch Zimbra (at least for the kids accounts) and I'm open to suggestions if any of you have already gone down this route.
    Either Live@EDU or Google Apps. Both are very good and you will find many people on here who use them, they both have pros and cons. We went with Live@EDU and haven't looked back. It's simple to use, works with mobile and desktops without a hitch and has very little down time.

Feel free to give me a yell if you need a hand.

Thank Post
    +1 for Google Apps

Thank Post
    Thinking about moving to live@edu here too. Although im on an exchange 2010 course next week

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToyHeartsFan View Post

This happened to me too. They asked me what accounts they could delete and then went and deleted a load more than they said. Also some of th accounts i had created only a month or so before and therefore had the "never logged on" flag which i think they went by.

Thank Post
    Well I logged a formal complaint today I doubt much will come of it but what gives them the right to delete our accounts after I told them I didnt want any deleted?

I'm the ICT Operations Manager at a 3 form primary and I dont have any additional support so it's my time thats wasted unless we pay £400 a day for a link2ict / Tempus tech to recreate the accounts then print the login details for each child. The Teachers then need to take them all over to the ICT Suite and get them to login to Zimbra and change their passwords.... And how long before they decide to delete them again?

Thanks for the ideas guys, I did start looking @ the Edu solution and our ICT Coordinator has also been trialling google docs with some of the staff so both are possible options for us.

As a short term fix I've asked year 3 to look at 2simple email and Email detectives which we have as hopefully that will cover their immediate needs until we sort something out.

Thank Post
    It is quite quick to create the email accounts. Get a dump from CMIS for the year group you want, then it's a quick case of editing the Excel file to create the 3 columns needed for Zimbra and upload via CSV.

In all honesty though, ditch it, save £1000 a year and use Live@Edu or Google Apps.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    LOL! Link2ICT have deleted all our kids accounts.....awesome!

Thank Post
    After my complaint they said they would restore our childrens email accounts but I havent checked yet.

From an email sent to our School Business Manager:
    "We have now reduced the number of mail boxes by 75% which has resulted in immediate improvements to the service performance."

What a good idea! If I delete 75% of our users from our Domain Controller do you think it would improve performance and make everyone happy? Maybe we should all do it!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast