+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast
Birmingham Grid for Learning (BGfL) Thread, Dear Link2ICT, we need to talk........(NM meeting) in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); I contacted Andy Mackey (Director of Link2ICT) to give a bit of feedback about the conference and bring up a ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Dear Link2ICT, we need to talk........(NM meeting)

I contacted Andy Mackey (Director of Link2ICT) to give a bit of feedback about the conference and bring up a few things i'd been mulling over.

My main point was i felt they were missing quite a big audience...us! I got a very positive reply and I genuinely do think they are working on this and wish to engage with us like they they used to in the past.

Turns out my e-mail was also very well timed. Their head of operations, Amanda, contacted me shortly afterwards to let me know they are in the process of finalising a Network Managers/IT Support meeting which is to be held on the 7th of May (venue and full details TBC, schools will be receiving info soon).

Items on the agenda will be Firewall, Mail filtering, Office 365 and Zimbra.

They're planning on it being more of a 'round table' event instead of a presentation driven one, so being able to discuss and exchange views, and listen to suggestions.

So there we go, they're giving us the opportunity to have our say. I'm pretty sure you've noticed how active this part of the forum is recently (and some daft posts imho) so maybe this is what we need.

What do ya think?

2. 4 Thanks to Little-Miss:

CHR1S (27th March 2014), DocHouse (29th March 2014), stevenlong1985 (26th March 2014), Trojan (27th March 2014)

Thank Post
    I think it's a brilliant idea, we need more of a technical discussion rather than a curriculum based one. I also think that the primaries and secondary's should be mixed rather than split.

Thank Post
    original.jpg

Seriously - They need to seriously make a lot of headway quickly. For far too many years Link2ICT and EdIT have treated school IT staff like something they've found under their boot. It still continues, especially with sales. I've now been bypassed completely and our account manager calls my Business Manager monthly to sell things.

5. Thanks to Trapper from:

stariq (11th April 2014)

Thank Post
    Oh and I've heard a whisper that a lot of Heads have complained directly to Link2ICT about the recent Zimbra 8 cock ups - such as missing emails from official sources.

The cynical part of brain wonders whether the timing of this thaw in relations has any relevance to this?!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Come and ask them...

Thank Post
    This is a fantastic idea, well done Little-Miss for sorting this.

It definitely needs to be mixed between primary and secondary. I know Link aren't perfect, but we as a group as large as Birmingham are in a much better position standing together than falling apart.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky_Dicky View Post
    This is a fantastic idea, well done Little-Miss for sorting this.
    Ah, i was just trying to continue the discussion about communicating with us from after the conference. The NM Meeting may have already been in the pipeline. As they were a little upset by things they'd read on Edugeek and that they now know i'm a mod on here, i guessed it was worth a try. My biggest gripe is that we seemed to have been ignored for a while.

It definitely needs to be mixed between primary and secondary. I know Link aren't perfect, but we as a group as large as Birmingham are in a much better position standing together than falling apart.
    Agreed. They're not perfect no, and it's not going to be a quick fix but if they're willing to work on this i'm happy to talk to them.

I haven't been hired by Capita btw lol! I'm just more of a talker than a shouter.
    Last edited by Little-Miss; 26th March 2014 at 08:41 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    I'm just more of a talker than a shouter.
    I don't think this would have been the case if the conference was around Christmas time, I think we would have all been at them! Unfortunately for me the proposed timing of the meeting isn't great as I will need to have already made my decision on if we are keeping our internet with them by then. I am however meeting my account manager in the next few weeks so I will see how it goes.

Out of interest was it predominately the firewall comments that they were unhappy with or was it more than that?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I'd be up for this too, plus it's always good to get the opinions of others. I do regularly contact numerous people within Link2ICT as it is, but it's very different talking face to face as a group rather than a one to one on the phone.

The bigger issues are impacting everyone, so it makes sense to get everyone (who's interested) involved.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighterjim View Post
    I don't think this would have been the case if the conference was around Christmas time, I think we would have all been at them! Unfortunately for me the proposed timing of the meeting isn't great as I will need to have already made my decision on if we are keeping our internet with them by then. I am however meeting my account manager in the next few weeks so I will see how it goes.

Out of interest was it predominately the firewall comments that they were unhappy with or was it more than that?
    Oh i get frustrated, very frustrated. I just tend to find going in on the offensive initially doesn't always help matters. Meh, maybe i'm too soft.

Dont we have to return the agreement by Monday?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    Dont we have to return the agreement by Monday?
    Yes, but I'm looking at renewing our internet for just six months.

Thank Post
    Just for everyone's information you can leave Link2ICT at any time, you just have to give three months notice.
    I hope Link2ICT do get their act together, unfortunately the cynic in me thinks otherwise.
    I feel the people there really want to do the right thing, but the business that is Capita restricts them?

Thank Post
    A Link2ICT NM Meeting is much needed has i don't think i no any one who is a network manager in a birmingham school who is not having issues.

Thank Post
    Just to confirm you can extend the internet contract for just six months and they are willing to provide costs if asked. I have also asked for a copy of the internet checklist that was mentioned during the conference.

It would be fantastic to see more technical dialogue at the NM meetings and also some insight into the development roadmap. I think one of the biggest issues has been a lack of communication about projects and exactly why they were being performed.
    Last edited by foofighterjim; 26th March 2014 at 04:51 PM.

Thank Post

18. Thanks to Trojan from:

Little-Miss (27th March 2014)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 13 1234511 ... LastLast