+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast
Birmingham Grid for Learning (BGfL) Thread, Dear Link2ICT, we need to talk........(NM meeting) in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); To be honest i can't slate Link2ict as they did make the effort to organize a meeting so those that ...
    Thank Post
    To be honest i can't slate Link2ict as they did make the effort to organize a meeting so those that have gripes and issues can voice them directly,for those that could not attend for what ever reason oh well maybe next time.
    Now i think we have to give them the benefit of the doubt instead of unnecessarily writing them off as it was only yesterday we gathered.

Well that's my thoughts on it !!

Thank Post
    Yep I'm hopeful that they'll deliver but would of liked a bit more firm information.

Thank Post
    A change of managers has happened and staff training in the pipeline across the board,sounds like a positive move!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I do feel positive that they are listening, but it's not going to be an easy, quick fix. There's a good few years of neglect they need to rectify.

Thank Post
    We as support staff know how difficult it is at times to please everyone,must be the same @link2ict,yes they have noted the
    bad communication with the Email upgrade and the Firewall replacement and i did see some red faces when mentioned.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHouse View Post
    In terms of sending to the LA or DFE...?
    Is it our responsibility to get the data to Birmingham or their responsibility to get the data from us. I did say that my understanding was that it was our responsibility to make the data available but theirs to actually retrieve it. This was centred around leaving them for internet but possibly retaining for MIS support. I did say a couple of times that this basically leaves me the option of staying put or cutting everything, from their perspective that isn't necessarily a good position and will cost them customers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I've just received an e-mail from Link2ICT entitled "How much bandwidth does your school actually use?"

I'm sorry, but when will Link2ICT realise that a Primary school in 2014 doesn't need a 100Mbps internet connection, but rather something in between? It really is common sense.

And to rub salt into the wound, I was booted off VPN 5 times last night. Please get the existing setup right instead of pushing schools into buying something they clearly do not need.

Thank Post
    We have just had to upgrade ours.... 10mb to 100mb and in-betweener would have been great.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    100Mbps works for Secondary establishments and large Primaries - not small Primaries and Nursery establishments. This is why a shared PTP system would be better with small clusters - sharing the cost, yet delivering a faster than current experience.

Thank Post
    That was one of the contributing factors in leaving.

We are now on 50mb with an onsite Smoothwall and it's never been noticeably slow.

We can filter YouTube to certain groups of students and PCs, we can enforce YouTube for Education for all other students, we can allow full access to YouTube for staff, we can open up access to specific videos to students if they need it, we can limit the bandwidth used by YouTube traffic to whatever we chose (30mb at the moment) which is helpful in keeping the internet up and running smoothly when our media techs are uploading videos.

The money saved on going for 50mb as opposed to 100mb from Link2ICT covered the cost of the Smoothwall, but we also have all the benefits stated above and many many many more.

Thank Post
    I was there.
    Thought it was a good day and was pleased to meet the account managers boss as ours seems pretty useless at the moment

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post
    That was one of the contributing factors in leaving.

We are now on 50mb with an onsite Smoothwall and it's never been noticeably slow.

We can filter YouTube to certain groups of students and PCs, we can enforce YouTube for Education for all other students, we can allow full access to YouTube for staff, we can open up access to specific videos to students if they need it, we can limit the bandwidth used by YouTube traffic to whatever we chose (30mb at the moment) which is helpful in keeping the internet up and running smoothly when our media techs are uploading videos.

The money saved on going for 50mb as opposed to 100mb from Link2ICT covered the cost of the Smoothwall, but we also have all the benefits stated above and many many many more.
    Think I need to come and talk to you :-)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighterjim View Post
    Is it our responsibility to get the data to Birmingham or their responsibility to get the data from us. I did say that my understanding was that it was our responsibility to make the data available but theirs to actually retrieve it. This was centred around leaving them for internet but possibly retaining for MIS support. I did say a couple of times that this basically leaves me the option of staying put or cutting everything, from their perspective that isn't necessarily a good position and will cost them customers.
    That was my understanding, I've offered to drive an encrypted USB stick over to fort dunlop but the answer was you have to send it via the bgfl... ho hum The council can an fetch it from us if they choose to. Anybody else know how none Link2ICT schools send info to and from BCC (CTF's and transfer files would be the main issue)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHouse View Post
    Think I need to come and talk to you :-)
    No worries mate. PM me whenever you like.

Thank Post
    Has any maintained school actually left the Birmingham Grid for their primary internet connection?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 LastLast