+ Post New Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast
Birmingham Grid for Learning (BGfL) Thread, Dear Link2ICT, we need to talk........(NM meeting) in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Just so you are aware as well. Microsoft Student Advantage This is available as part of the paid for Microsoft ...
    Thank Post
    Just so you are aware as well.

Microsoft Student Advantage
    This is available as part of the paid for Microsoft 365 packages and allows Students to
    download full versions of the Office products. Student Advantage is also available to
    subscribers of the Microsoft EES agreement.

This is quite correct either. The student advantage is part of your EES agreement and doesn't come as default with the Office 365 Tenancy. You have to contact your EES or Schools Agreement supplier to get a code which you then use as a voucher in your Office 365 tenancy.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by apearce View Post
    Yammer and other Office 365 functionality
    Yammer is a closed communication suite that is being integrated into Office 365 that would
    give a level of social networking within the school account, at an additional cost. Office 365
    already has a range of messaging and discussion tools included that provide much of this
    functionality with no additional cost. If there is interest from schools to trial the Yammer
    integration, then we would look into this later in the autumn term.

Taken from the e-briefing document - It stats that Yammer is at an additional cost. I'm interested to see how you may get charged for this as it is free within the Office 365 tenancy when it is enabled.
    Yet another example of Link charging for a free service....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHouse View Post
    Cost for a single primary school is prohibitive, add in firewall, filtering, support, licenses...
    Large secondary school here, cost would be no object as our link renewal was over 40k this year. (I'm fairly confident I could actually save money)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Trojan View Post
    Large secondary school here, cost would be no object as our link renewal was over 40k this year. (I'm fairly confident I could actually save money)
    for a large primary we know we could save money and get better quality of management and service...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Trapper View Post
    There must be a way to VPN for GroupCall and FCSLogin.

How much are they charging for the Office 365 migration? I've had the bumf through today.
    VPN is one solution, but I think it's inevitable Link2ICT are going to have to start opening these services too, or deploying alternatives due to school's migrating away to other ISPs. You then have to wonder what is the purpose of the BGfL at all. Providing school's with an internet connection is one thing, but being part of an intranet is kind of pointless. It has no impact on teaching or learning. You only have to look at bgfl.org to understand the funding no longer exists, yet for whatever reason it's still hosted.
    Interestingly I found out recently that Birmingham are the only LA who use Crisp - crisp.bgfl.org with every other LA using a different solution setup by Government years ago; but more to the point, it's accessible online for all and not just BGfL subscribers. If anyone can work out why Birmingham are different, I'd be happy to know!

Quote Originally Posted by Tricky_Dicky View Post
    That's my thought.

I can't be much being as it's a free service. It's purely a case of changing an MX record and doing a migrate after uploading a CSV of usernames. It does worry me how well they would do it though as when I phone up asking for any changes to do with Office365 it seems it's the first time they have ever heard of it.
    I suspect the migration cost will be based on the number of inboxes to migrate, but nothing's been published as you say. I suspect staff will have some form of training, but then you could also argue you could take ownership, learn it yourself, delegate some roles to teachers (such as password resetting, or e-mail creation etc..) and be done with external support.

Taken from the e-briefing document - It stats that Yammer is at an additional cost. I'm interested to see how you may get charged for this as it is free within the Office 365 tenancy when it is enabled.
    I think some parts of Yammer are free, but others chargeable. I can't see how schools can trial it as it's blocked under BGfL. Again you have to wonder when people publish articles, do they actually check school's can actually trial it?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I think some parts of Yammer are free, but others chargeable. I can't see how schools can trial it as it's blocked under BGfL. Again you have to wonder when people publish articles, do they actually check school's can actually trial it?
    Office 365 Education with A2 and above will come with Yammer Enterprise at no addition cost.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Office 365 Education with A2 and above will come with Yammer Enterprise at no addition cost.
    Who knows then why it would be an additional cost, but if you look here Yammer are quoting prices.

I think there's a Basic and Enterprise version (is my understanding) - maybe some Secondary establishments might be interested in such services?

Thank Post
    Yammer enterprise will be free for all education plans, being rolled out, see here

Thank Post
    For those asking about moving away, bear in mind extra work to deal with various companies, also consider financial viability of suppliers you use.
    We moved and found solutions for all the data transfers, you need to talk to the relevant BCC departments directly.
    Moving is not for everyone, great for schools with good "in house" support. But some primary schools don't have such support and like it or not Link2ICT do offer a one stop shop for those. In my opinion primary schools should look at working together & employ a tech to support them. Link are trying to change to be more customer focused rather than profit driven, the loss income from schools such as ours has highlighted the need for change, only time will tell...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by chippo View Post
    For those asking about moving away, bear in mind extra work to deal with various companies, also consider financial viability of suppliers you use.
    We moved and found solutions for all the data transfers, you need to talk to the relevant BCC departments directly.
    I don't suppose you fancy expanding on the solutions you managed to arrange do you?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tricky_Dicky View Post
    I don't suppose you fancy expanding on the solutions you managed to arrange do you?
    +1, or even just info on the people who gave you answers.

Thank Post
    Had to raise a complaint today, responses to calls and orders has once again become unacceptable.

I await their reply.

Thank Post
    This made me smile....
    Hundreds of jobs return to council as 150m slashed from Service Birmingham contract - Birmingham Post

Looks like servicebirmingham's days are numbered

and I'm still waiting for a certain sales rep to return a call placed 4 weeks ago, three emails, three reminders via service desk and a separate email conversation with another sales rep and still got a school with no set date for an internet upgrade and no explanation of why you can't be bothered to return a call.

Not acceptable, not even close...
    Last edited by DocHouse; 24th June 2014 at 08:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Did anyone else read the accouncement about BCC continuing the Capita contract, but demanding 150m be saved over the 7 years?

They've basically admitted it was a mistake to close down the old Education IT department and outsource. They've even said cost savings can be made by brining some projects internal again!

Someone people made a lot of gains out of the Service Birmingham Crapita/EdIT co-venture, and it wasn't the end users of the service.

Thank Post
    Just had word through that they are removing the local proxy servers. I'm scheduled to be moved to the load balancer on Monday.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 28910111213 LastLast