+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Birmingham Grid for Learning (BGfL) Thread, Zimbra 8 Annoyances in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); In order of annoyance Login Timeout My users are pretty frustrated they have to keep loggin on every so often. ...
    Thank Post

Zimbra 8 Annoyances

In order of annoyance

1. Login Timeout
      My users are pretty frustrated they have to keep loggin on every so often. Is it 15 or 30 mins? This is made much worse by annoyance No.2.
    2. Disables browser's password saving
    3. Mobile device password policy
      If you enroll a mobile device using Activesync which only has a PIN to unlock it enforces a complex password on the device. Much slower to type a password than enter a PIN. (Only tested this with iOS) presume active sync works the same on Android and WinMo.
      To mitigate I set my iPhones lock timeout to the max 15 minutes.
    4. Admin user Password policy.
      Can live with this but if you are a domain administrator for Zimbra and it's becoming a pain you could create a new admin account and demote your day-to-day account and avoid the password policy for just checking your e-mails. I use the Outlook connector so outlook remembers the password still.
    5. New version of outlook connector has been a bit flakey
      Rather than just reconfigure the existing ZCS connector install I decided to install the new version 8 ZCS connector. We had no issues with out Outlook 2010 machines but one Outlook 2007 user getting errors about the server not being licensed and refuses to sync. Will try reinstalling and deleting the zdb files this time.
    6. Oh, and in the Admin interface the tab key no longer moves to the next field!!

Guy I spoke to about the iOS issue at Link2ICT seemed to be saying that these restrictive policies are not yet set in stone as the new Zimbra is still being rolled out across Birmingham.

So if any of these issues are bugging you then it's worth adding your voice and moaning to Link2ICT.
    Last edited by Alis_Klar; 17th January 2014 at 12:17 PM.

Thank Post
    The login timeout is a good idea in itself, but the timeframe it is working to is too short.

As for admin passwords, the rules for complexity should be make clear before you create one - I had to retry four times as each time I was told of a new layer of complexity. In the end I went for a much simpler pattern than I usually would just so I can remember the bloody thing.

As I am getting grief from my colleagues about the timeout I will be adding my moans to Link2ICT's in tray!

</Davekri>

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'm sick of hearing all of the above...just got off the phone from someone about the password saving....

I'll send an email, but i cant see it changing anything.

Thank Post
    Office 365 ...!

Thank Post
    1,2 and 3 have caused much annoyance amongst users. I was told that the mobile device policy was not going to be changed - but this was before Christmas.

Point 4 is a bit of a pain - but I use LastPass which has made life easier.

We also had a problem at one point when all passworded zip files got flagged as viruses - but I think this has been resolved now.

Will be interesting to see the service desk stats for December / January - I think I've opened as many cases in these two months as I usually do in a year.
    Last edited by andy_b; 17th January 2014 at 12:42 PM.

Thank Post
    Link2ICT are looking to fix annoyance 2.

The timeout for normal users is 30 mins and the timeout for admins is 10! This is set by the LA policy.
    Last edited by Alis_Klar; 17th January 2014 at 01:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,575 Times in 1,254 Posts
    Not quite sure why you guys put up with all this nonsense. I should remind you you're also paying for it as well...

There are none of the above problems with Office 365, plus Office 365 on A2 is 100% free for schools.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    For me, it's because i just havent got the time at the moment. At first it was because i couldnt face the upheaval. Now it's purely having the time to sit and do it.....

Thank Post
    PM sent

Thank Post
    GMAIL Baby....It's the answer or The Microsoft 365 thingy

And I am still amazed at the stupidity of Link2ICT today the Internet was at 1MB download 0.9mb upload for most of the afternoon, Census support last week was non existent and they still haven't sorted the problem with the new firewall!!!!!!!!

Just please give me one more reason to leave this bunch of numpties

[Link2ICT we're idiots cause we can't figure out what's causing it.]
    Last edited by DocHouse; 20th January 2014 at 09:00 PM.

Thank Post
    Has anyone had users complain about not receiving expected emails?

Usually I'd put it down to user error - but maybe three/four users are insistent that emails have been sent to them (from third party email accounts) correctly but they aren't being received.

Thought I'd ask before I raise another call with L2ICT....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_b View Post
    Has anyone had users complain about not receiving expected emails?

Usually I'd put it down to user error - but maybe three/four users are insistent that emails have been sent to them (from third party email accounts) correctly but they aren't being received.

Thought I'd ask before I raise another call with L2ICT....
    Funny you should say that. I was asked to re-send e-mails (not that long ago) as they were there one evening and gone the following morning at a Zimbra hosted school.

Thank Post
    We have failed to receive mail sent from another Birmingham school who are still on the old Zimbra system. I am receiving external mail fine. I have verified this as we had a teacher from another school who i watched send a mail to me and I didn't get it. A Test from gmail came thru within seconds.

Also noticed more SPAM getting thru and getting blocked for executable notices caused by spammy mails.
    Last edited by Alis_Klar; 22nd January 2014 at 12:35 PM.

14. Thanks to Alis_Klar from:

andy_b (22nd January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanks for that - might help get the problem narrowed down. I have tested gmail and yahoo to my zimbra a/c and like you said the emails are coming through.

I managed to get a list of senders from one of my users and they are all bham.sch.uk addresses - not sure what email system they are using though.

Tried to log a call - but I'm not sure they understood what I was saying as they wanted to check my email configuration settings - even though I am using the web client......

Quote Originally Posted by Alis_Klar View Post
    We have failed to receive mail sent from another Birmingham school who are still on the old Zimbra system. I am receiving external mail fine. I have verified this as we had a teacher from another school who i watched send a mail to me and I didn't get it. A Test from gmail came thru within seconds.

Also noticed more SPAM getting thru and getting blocked for executable notices caused by spammy mails.

Thank Post
    when I logged the call I don't think they'd realised the possible pattern. I think they've messed up the configuration of the new zimbra so internal mail from old zimbra server and possibly @birmingham.gov.uk e-mail are not coming thru.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast