+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Birmingham Grid for Learning (BGfL) Thread, Facility Software Release January 2014 in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Just in case anyone misses this, there is an update to CMIS if you are affected by any of the ...

Thank Post

Facility Software Release January 2014

Just in case anyone misses this, there is an update to CMIS if you are affected by any of the following issues:

IMPORTANT NOTICE
    This build of Admin corrects two known issues that affect Nursery or Post 16 pupils that are eligible for Free School Meals and Nursery schools with two year old pupils.
    Schools will only need to install this build of Admin if:

You have Nursery or Post 16 pupils that are eligible for Free School Meals
    You have two year old Nursery pupils
    You have not yet upgraded to version 13.3 (the December release)

All other schools may continue to run their census return with the December (13.3.10) release of Admin.

https://link2ict.service-now.com/sch...icle=KB0001511

2. Thanks to andy_b from:

sonofsanta (16th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,458 Times in 1,002 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good of them to spot & release this the day before the census was due...

Fortunately our FSM numbers are low enough to manually cross-check, so our census officer has said not to bother. Which is a relief, as I didn't much fancy trying to do it at lunch, praying that no-one forgets I've told them that Facility is verboten and log in and screw up the database...

Thank Post
    L2ICT.... again....

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    To be fair it's not really Link2ICT, but more Advanced Learning. It is their product after all.

It's easy enough to apply, but extremely late in the day - especially Census day.

I think I'm going to take a back seat when it comes to installing the new e-Portal (week starting 20th Jan) in case this gets broken on first install too.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    To be fair it's not really Link2ICT, but more Advanced Learning. It is their product after all.
    Don't let things like facts get in the way of a good moan!

Thank Post
    Oh don't get me wrong, I'm having to sacrifice my lunch break to patch another school. All in a day's work I suppose

Thank Post
    Well the patch has gone on fine and it does correct the issue (in each instance).

I'd love to know why it's Census day and not Census week. Getting so many establishments across the country to submit their Census in a single day is just crazy thinking really.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeah I ended up having to do it over lunch as well (census officer was on the phone to support about something else and was basically told to install the patch before they'd try anything else). With a quick back up of this year's dataset only, and no need for it to do its database checks (no major version upgrade), it did only take fifteen minutes to have ePortal back up again.

Still not an ideal job to be doing on the day in the middle of office hours, though...

Thank Post
    ... Oh Link2ICT you really have out done yourself today!

3 Calls from 3 schools all with the same issue Link either unresponsive on phone or in the case of the two "helpful" staff I spoke to said that the issue was patched related, pointed out it wasn't as we'd already patched it and listened as he ran to his mate and said what do we do...?

In the end they offered to call back within 30 minutes and never did at two of the sites, so I got bored and solved it myself, turns out the class groups where not transferring across to the teaching groups, why Link couldn't solve this I don't know. They are not having a good month and it doesn't seem to be getting any better.

Felt sorry for the poor office staff as they where caught in the middle between the frustrated head and dim witted phone support.

I'm not looking forward to the eportal update either....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Well the patch has gone on fine and it does correct the issue (in each instance).

I'd love to know why it's Census day and not Census week. Getting so many establishments across the country to submit their Census in a single day is just crazy thinking really.
    Great point it would sort out a lot off issues, I think it is a legacy of older systems that schools have to take a census on a particular day.

Thank Post
    So today I was asked to do the update to fix the census error associated to Free School Meals and 6th Forms students. When I click the relevant links I don't see a patch to apply - instead I see the entire install file for Facility and ePortal. Am I missing something? Surely I don't need to do a full install do I? I have many customisations and SSO to set up. The last time the process took three hours.

Meny here appear to have applied the fix - am I missing something?

HELP!!

Thank Post
    We did the update for Administration and the uninstall and new install of ePortal on Wednesday. I then had to to do the update for Administration that come out just before midnight on Wednesday yesterday, but no need to redo ePortal or anything else. Quick snapshot of the VM, backup tables, make a copy of the admin folder and install, reboot and done.
    Looking forward to not having to touch the Facility server for a couple of months now hopefully!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Byford-Rew View Post
    So today I was asked to do the update to fix the census error associated to Free School Meals and 6th Forms students. When I click the relevant links I don't see a patch to apply - instead I see the entire install file for Facility and ePortal. Am I missing something? Surely I don't need to do a full install do I? I have many customisations and SSO to set up. The last time the process took three hours.

Meny here appear to have applied the fix - am I missing something?

HELP!!
    Follow the link to Facility 13.3 Census Update - Please read on the right
    Follow the link in the second to last sentence (the word "here")
    Download the Facility Administration files, and the three extensions (docstore, export to ems, sms). I also downloaded Scheduler as it's easy to install. You don't need ePortal.

In Facility, make sure everyone is kicked out, do your template/data backup, rename your Admin folder, reinstall into the new Admin folder. I only took a backup of this year's dataset to speed things up, and the database doesn't need to do any checks after install, so it is - at least - a quick patch to update.

Not sure how any of you have got away with not doing the ePortal update yet - I thought ePortal and Facility had to be on the same major version, and the Facility update was needed for the census yesterday - but if you follow the documentation religiously you're ok.

I think the reason it has to be a census day is the same as with the national census every ten years - it's meant to be a snapshot, and make sure everyone is only in one place at once. If it was done over a week, potentially a student could be registered at one school on a Monday, transfer on a Wednesday, and be reregistered at the new school on the Friday.

15. Thanks to sonofsanta from:

Byford-Rew (17th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Did the update for our Data Manager yesterday, no real problems. Quick and simple and fixed the fault. Really bad of Advanced Learning to leave this so late though! Do they not test these things???!

On a side note, not liking the new ePortal

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by themightymrp View Post
    On a side note, not liking the new ePortal
    Oh don't say that. How can it possibly be any different?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast