+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Birmingham Grid for Learning (BGfL) Thread, Zimbra 8 password....OMG in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Originally Posted by DocHouse Just to rub salt in the wound they've rolled it out here and then sent out ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHouse View Post
    Just to rub salt in the wound they've rolled it out here and then sent out this email....

Dear Colleague,

As you will be aware, Link2ICT has begun the process of migrating customers from Zimbra 5 to the newer Zimbra 8 platform. This was a necessary requirement because of stability issues and Zimbra 8 offers a more secure solution. We have however experienced some minor configuration issues during the migration and in order to address these we have decided to put any further migrations on hold while this is resolved.

How does this affect you?

There will be no change in your mail service and you will be able to continue using Zimbra 5 with noticeably fewer issues.

When will we be migrated?

As soon as we have resolved the configuration issues in Zimbra 8 we will make a decision as to when the migrations will recommence and you will be notified in due course. We are also looking at other cloud-based email solutions to determine whether these would better suit the needs of our customers and we may offer these as a future alternative.

I have heard good things about Zimbra 8, can I migrate anyway?

If you would still like to migrate to Zimbra 8, please contact the Link2ICT Service Desk and we will contact you to discuss your migration process.

If you have any questions, please contact the Link2ICT Service Desk on 0121 303 5100/servicedesk@link2ict.org or log into the Link2ICT Support Portal.

Make up your frigging minds please!!!!
    Hmmm maybe just maybe someone at Link2ICT HQ as thought... why are we doing this when we could get schools onto Office 365 or Google?

I think this most likely is to do with e-mails not arriving once they've been upgraded to Zimbra 8. The time and costs involved trying to resolve these issues... it just isn't worth it.

Thank Post
    Who said this ever??

I have heard good things about Zimbra 8, can I migrate anyway?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_b View Post
    Who said this ever??
    Someone living under a rock probably...

4. Thanks to Michael from:

andy_b (28th January 2014)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,021 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Zimbra > O365. Period. I can't see how anyone would think otherwise, apart from fans of Windows 8 shiny shiny horrible UI rubbish. Can't vouch for 8 but Zimbra 7 we use is far superior.

Thank Post
    I've just replied to someone who's using Zimbra 8 (and I'm using O365). When replying to them, I'm prompted for a username/password. Cancelling it gets rid of the message, but has anyone else noticed this?

Thank Post
    So the 30 days since I entered my original 12 characters, at least 3 uppercase, at least 3 numbers and at least 3 punctuation marks password has gone. I now have to make a new one.

Easy enough I think.... Log into webmail interface to get the "Your password has expired, please provide a new one" and enter a new one.

Standard 3 boxes - Original, New and New again. Fill them all out, press submit.

"Sorry, your original password is incorrect"

Fill out boxes again. "Sorry, your original password is incorrect"

Hmm, bit odd. Open another browser, log into webmail. "The username or password is incorrect."

FFS!!!!

Try new password incase it did change.

"The username or password is incorrect."

Great... so now I appear to be locked out of my email.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    YAY! I've just had to ring them to unlock me!! hahaha

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    YAY! I've just had to ring them to unlock me!! hahaha
    On a seriousness note, how can they possibly verify you are who you say you are over the phone? This in itself would be considered a security risk.

This is another strong point of Office 365. All admin accounts also require you to register a mobile number. Lose or forget your password? Not a problem, reset instructions are texted to you.

Thank Post
    What is appears to be is that if you use too similar a password (I had just changed the numbers) your account gets locked out.

So remember! It's a totally different 12 character, at least 3 uppercase, at least 3 numbers and at least 3 punctuation marks password.

Well that's easy to remember! 0118 999 881 99 9119 725 3

11. Thanks to ChrisJ from:

SYNACK (10th February 2014)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    how can they possibly verify you are who you say you are over the phone?
    Standard verification is usually to get another person in school to send an email asking to reset your password. But a lot of the time the person on the phone has spoken to the person calling a few times (I know I spoke to you quite often back in the day) and will sort things out there and then.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisJ View Post
    What is appears to be is that if you use too similar a password (I had just changed the numbers) your account gets locked out.

So remember! It's a totally different 12 character, at least 3 uppercase, at least 3 numbers and at least 3 punctuation marks password.

Well that's easy to remember! 0118 999 881 99 9119 725 3
    All other websites that adopt this policy usually tell you this on screen. For example Office 365 tells you, you can't have any part of your name as your password... the point is, it clearly tells you this on screen and doesn't just lock you out

Thank Post
    Standard verification is usually to get another person in school to send an email asking to reset your password. But a lot of the time the person on the phone has spoken to the person calling a few times (I know I spoke to you quite often back in the day) and will sort things out there and then.
    This is true, but for all I know another person in Birmingham might sound just like me... scary but possible, for those of you that have met/spoken to me before.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    All other websites that adopt this policy usually tell you this on screen. For example Office 365 tells you, you can't have any part of your name as your password... the point is, it clearly tells you this on screen and doesn't just lock you out
    Oh indeed, it would have been nice to have had a warning. I'm putting a recommendation to my replacement that they should look at moving away from Zimbra (rumours are that Link are also looking at O365).

Thank Post
    Oh indeed, it would have been nice to have had a warning. I'm putting a recommendation to my replacement that they should look at moving away from Zimbra (rumours are that Link are also looking at O365).
    Interesting if true, but if this is the case why would anyone stay with the Link2ICT system as O365 is so easy to move to and manage. I believe they are also looking at alternative VLE providers, might explain why the move to Moodle 2.X has never happened.

Thank Post
    Can I just chip in about this password?
    I too was a bit horrified when I first found out about it, but once I tried to type in my new password, it is simple. As long as your password has at least 3 letter and 3 digits (as mine already did "qaz123") you simply type it twice, once with the shift key pressed and once without.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast