+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Birmingham Grid for Learning (BGfL) Thread, How to black out most of Birmingham....Let Link2ICT update your firewall in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); it's gone off and come back on.... fingers crossed :-)...
    Thank Post
    it's gone off and come back on.... fingers crossed :-)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Everything seems smoother this morning which is great, but we're still not getting the full 10Mbps, but more like 6-8Mbps according to this speed test.

How do you guys compare?

Thank Post
    hmmm. something is not right it's not downloading from Microrsoft VLSC, ITunes or Google Sites... oh fmphfffph!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Everything seems smoother this morning which is great, but we're still not getting the full 10Mbps, but more like 6-8Mbps according to this speed test.

How do you guys compare?
    6.14mbps average

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    5-7mb...

Thank Post
    I'm wondering if our bandwidth is being throttled to compensate the amount of traffic that goes through the firewall? Just a theory?

I've tested again and it's now averaging 3.5Mbps. I don't think this battle is won just yet.

Thank Post
    finally got onto Itunes - 2hrs estimate to download new version of Itunes 95mb, normally do this in minutes.... very slow on downloads, uploading seems reasonable.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I'm wondering if our bandwidth is being throttled to compensate the amount of traffic that goes through the firewall? Just a theory?

I've tested again and it's now averaging 3.5Mbps. I don't think this battle is won just yet.
    Down to 2.46mbps average... throttling sounds like a plausible idea but it doesn't make the problem go away it just buys link some time to solve it, eventually we're going to notice the slowdown...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHouse View Post
    Down to 2.46mbps average... throttling sounds like a plausible idea but it doesn't make the problem go away it just buys link some time to solve it, eventually we're going to notice the slowdown...
    I agree it buys them time and I hope it's only a temporary workaround. Makes you wonder if we all could afford 100Mbps from BGFL, what would happen then? Surely it's only a matter of time before Secondary establishments are bumped up from 100Mbps to 250Mbps or even higher? And Primary's 50-100Mbps.

Thank Post
    Just performed another test and achieved 8.5Mbps average. This is much more like it.

Thank Post
    80 down 24 up for us..

Thank Post
    I was speaking to BT directly a couple of months ago and one of the things that was really good about their service was the ability to flex the bandwidth. IE you have your full 100Mbps during term time and during the Summer and Half terms you could reduce it down to 20Mbps reducing the cost of service at the same time. I had a good look at Smoothwall for filtering and firewall, call me old fashioned but I'm still not completely sold on having a software filewall. I also liked the look of the Lightspeed Rocket appliance for filtering. Looks like we are moving our MIS support to Sandwell, already sourced an alternative to the AV.

One of the problems I noted was (apparently) whilst on the BGFL service some of our MIS data is automatically collected. If we moved away we would have to find a way around this (VPN??).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighterjim View Post
    I was speaking to BT directly a couple of months ago and one of the things that was really good about their service was the ability to flex the bandwidth. IE you have your full 100Mbps during term time and during the Summer and Half terms you could reduce it down to 20Mbps reducing the cost of service at the same time. I had a good look at Smoothwall for filtering and firewall, call me old fashioned but I'm still not completely sold on having a software filewall. I also liked the look of the Lightspeed Rocket appliance for filtering. Looks like we are moving our MIS support to Sandwell, already sourced an alternative to the AV.

One of the problems I noted was (apparently) whilst on the BGFL service some of our MIS data is automatically collected. If we moved away we would have to find a way around this (VPN??).
    PM Sent

It sounds appealing being able to increase or reduce your bandwidth, but do you really save that much money? 13 weeks per year out of 52, it's only a fraction. The biggest issue with BT is the SLA or lack of, which means (in a worse case scenario) is you could be without internet for days.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighterjim View Post

S2S solves most of the data transfer issues and the other bit may be done via VPN or other means you could in theory grant the council a VPN access to login to the network grab data and go.

Thank Post
    We currently have a 10Mbps line - and at peak times this is really no longer sufficient. The next jump up is currently 100 Mbps (apparently there are plans to offer an intermediate step in january), but the price increase is too much.

I have tentatively made alternative enquiries - just to get an idea of the costs of alternative provision.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast