+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 150
Birmingham Grid for Learning (BGfL) Thread, How to black out most of Birmingham....Let Link2ICT update your firewall in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); it's gone off and come back on.... fingers crossed :-)...
  1. #61
    DocHouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    brum
    Posts
    707
    Thank Post
    147
    Thanked 80 Times in 72 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    it's gone off and come back on.... fingers crossed :-)

  2. #62

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    Everything seems smoother this morning which is great, but we're still not getting the full 10Mbps, but more like 6-8Mbps according to this speed test.

    How do you guys compare?

  3. #63
    DocHouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    brum
    Posts
    707
    Thank Post
    147
    Thanked 80 Times in 72 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    hmmm. something is not right it's not downloading from Microrsoft VLSC, ITunes or Google Sites... oh fmphfffph!

  4. #64
    DocHouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    brum
    Posts
    707
    Thank Post
    147
    Thanked 80 Times in 72 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Everything seems smoother this morning which is great, but we're still not getting the full 10Mbps, but more like 6-8Mbps according to this speed test.



    How do you guys compare?
    6.14mbps average

  5. #65

    Little-Miss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,520
    Thank Post
    2,374
    Thanked 745 Times in 456 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    542
    5-7mb...

  6. #66

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    I'm wondering if our bandwidth is being throttled to compensate the amount of traffic that goes through the firewall? Just a theory?

    I've tested again and it's now averaging 3.5Mbps. I don't think this battle is won just yet.

  7. #67
    DocHouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    brum
    Posts
    707
    Thank Post
    147
    Thanked 80 Times in 72 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    finally got onto Itunes - 2hrs estimate to download new version of Itunes 95mb, normally do this in minutes.... very slow on downloads, uploading seems reasonable.

  8. #68
    DocHouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    brum
    Posts
    707
    Thank Post
    147
    Thanked 80 Times in 72 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I'm wondering if our bandwidth is being throttled to compensate the amount of traffic that goes through the firewall? Just a theory?

    I've tested again and it's now averaging 3.5Mbps. I don't think this battle is won just yet.
    Down to 2.46mbps average... throttling sounds like a plausible idea but it doesn't make the problem go away it just buys link some time to solve it, eventually we're going to notice the slowdown...

  9. #69

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by DocHouse View Post
    Down to 2.46mbps average... throttling sounds like a plausible idea but it doesn't make the problem go away it just buys link some time to solve it, eventually we're going to notice the slowdown...
    I agree it buys them time and I hope it's only a temporary workaround. Makes you wonder if we all could afford 100Mbps from BGFL, what would happen then? Surely it's only a matter of time before Secondary establishments are bumped up from 100Mbps to 250Mbps or even higher? And Primary's 50-100Mbps.

  10. #70

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    Just performed another test and achieved 8.5Mbps average. This is much more like it.

  11. #71
    jamin100's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    1,036
    Thank Post
    141
    Thanked 98 Times in 78 Posts
    Rep Power
    33
    80 down 24 up for us..

  12. #72
    foofighterjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    393
    Thank Post
    30
    Thanked 70 Times in 52 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    I was speaking to BT directly a couple of months ago and one of the things that was really good about their service was the ability to flex the bandwidth. IE you have your full 100Mbps during term time and during the Summer and Half terms you could reduce it down to 20Mbps reducing the cost of service at the same time. I had a good look at Smoothwall for filtering and firewall, call me old fashioned but I'm still not completely sold on having a software filewall. I also liked the look of the Lightspeed Rocket appliance for filtering. Looks like we are moving our MIS support to Sandwell, already sourced an alternative to the AV.

    One of the problems I noted was (apparently) whilst on the BGFL service some of our MIS data is automatically collected. If we moved away we would have to find a way around this (VPN??).

  13. #73

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighterjim View Post
    I was speaking to BT directly a couple of months ago and one of the things that was really good about their service was the ability to flex the bandwidth. IE you have your full 100Mbps during term time and during the Summer and Half terms you could reduce it down to 20Mbps reducing the cost of service at the same time. I had a good look at Smoothwall for filtering and firewall, call me old fashioned but I'm still not completely sold on having a software filewall. I also liked the look of the Lightspeed Rocket appliance for filtering. Looks like we are moving our MIS support to Sandwell, already sourced an alternative to the AV.

    One of the problems I noted was (apparently) whilst on the BGFL service some of our MIS data is automatically collected. If we moved away we would have to find a way around this (VPN??).
    PM Sent

    It sounds appealing being able to increase or reduce your bandwidth, but do you really save that much money? 13 weeks per year out of 52, it's only a fraction. The biggest issue with BT is the SLA or lack of, which means (in a worse case scenario) is you could be without internet for days.

  14. #74
    DocHouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    brum
    Posts
    707
    Thank Post
    147
    Thanked 80 Times in 72 Posts
    Rep Power
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighterjim View Post
    I was speaking to BT directly a couple of months ago and one of the things that was really good about their service was the ability to flex the bandwidth. IE you have your full 100Mbps during term time and during the Summer and Half terms you could reduce it down to 20Mbps reducing the cost of service at the same time. I had a good look at Smoothwall for filtering and firewall, call me old fashioned but I'm still not completely sold on having a software filewall. I also liked the look of the Lightspeed Rocket appliance for filtering. Looks like we are moving our MIS support to Sandwell, already sourced an alternative to the AV.

    One of the problems I noted was (apparently) whilst on the BGFL service some of our MIS data is automatically collected. If we moved away we would have to find a way around this (VPN??).
    S2S solves most of the data transfer issues and the other bit may be done via VPN or other means you could in theory grant the council a VPN access to login to the network grab data and go.

  15. #75

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    142
    Thank Post
    6
    Thanked 45 Times in 39 Posts
    Rep Power
    22
    We currently have a 10Mbps line - and at peak times this is really no longer sufficient. The next jump up is currently 100 Mbps (apparently there are plans to offer an intermediate step in january), but the price increase is too much.

    I have tentatively made alternative enquiries - just to get an idea of the costs of alternative provision.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How to find out which machine a student logged onto, & when
    By indiegirl in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 16th March 2012, 01:17 PM
  2. How to work out domain string (LDAP I think)
    By garethedmondson in forum Windows
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 9th September 2009, 11:15 PM
  3. How to find out who deleted what
    By Chrish5 in forum Windows
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 17th October 2008, 10:37 AM
  4. How to structure the layout of the Kaleidos Portal Intrest Groups
    By AM_LHS in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 6th June 2008, 07:32 PM
  5. How to find out a preferred bidder
    By MK-2 in forum BSF
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 8th January 2008, 09:56 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •