+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Birmingham Grid for Learning (BGfL) Thread, How to black out most of Birmingham....Let Link2ICT update your firewall in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Originally Posted by CHR1S I won't go into it but the mayhem this "almost" caused today!! Thankfully tethering and mobile ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    I won't go into it but the mayhem this "almost" caused today!!

Thankfully tethering and mobile data saved the day!

Edit - there was no access for about two hours, 504 errors and slower than 56k speeds!
    We managed to save one member of the SLT with a tethered IPad but the rest was really frustrating...

Thank Post
    Our exchange server was still working but the internet was very hit and miss from around 930-1130

One assembly postponed but nothing too drastic

Think people rely on the internet too heavily

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post
    Our exchange server was still working but the internet was very hit and miss from around 930-1130

Same here. Had a phone call complaining about Zimbra not working, but because it's been so awful lately I told them to try again later, at this point I noticed the net was sluggish so guessed it was that. When our InTouch stopped working I thought something was up so rang them.

I wish they'd send a text out as soon as they notice. I got one a little after I rang.

Thank Post
    yep i agree with you but i think this is the way we've been going for a while with cloud based stuff, the problem is if the connection breaks we have no services. Link2ICT need to sort out communication and service desk both failed miserably today.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Why not do this at christmas?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jamin100 View Post

And why shouldn't teachers and support staff rely heavily on the internet? It's full of fantastic resources that support and reinforce lesson objectives - sometimes making it more interesting and fun!

More and more services and resources are online only. Generally speaking there's little disruption, which is why teachers see the advantages and move with the times.

7. Thanks to Michael from:

DocHouse (16th December 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    Because they didn't plan or failed to realise the implications of a failure to the schools that pay their bills...? just a hunch

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I suspect most people will be working part time or no time, bearing in mind the schools they serve are closed for the two weeks over Christmas. Despite it not quite going to plan, I can only speculate a lot of work has gone into the migration and that quite a number of key people are involved in the move.

Fortunately things appear to have stabilised (I hope I don't eat my words), but I still have reservations as to why it was necessary to migrate all approx. 500 sites in one go. It's a massive risk and splitting schools into chunks would have been the better move (in my opinion) and as a result the Helpdesk were inundated with requests.

As I say, I hope valuable lessons have been learnt. I can't remember the last time the whole of Birmingham's schools were without internet or dial up internet for a number of hours. There have been clusters or areas of the city where there have been problems, but never the whole lot.

Thank Post
    still so slow..........

Thank Post
    It has been in and out all morning, still getting the occasional bad gateway on Zimbra.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 1,030 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    I suspect most people will be working part time or no time, bearing in mind the schools they serve are closed for the two weeks over Christmas. Despite it not quite going to plan, I can only speculate a lot of work has gone into the migration and that quite a number of key people are involved in the move.

Fortunately things appear to have stabilised (I hope I don't eat my words), but I still have reservations as to why it was necessary to migrate all approx. 500 sites in one go. It's a massive risk and splitting schools into chunks would have been the better move (in my opinion) and as a result the Helpdesk were inundated with requests.

As I say, I hope valuable lessons have been learnt. I can't remember the last time the whole of Birmingham's schools were without internet or dial up internet for a number of hours. There have been clusters or areas of the city where there have been problems, but never the whole lot.
    I see what you mean - but then again if you think of regular ISP's they do all work like this overnight as to reduce the impact on businesses (in this case schools).

If it is that big a change then it has to be central and wouldn't matter if the schools staff were on site or not? I'm not 100% sure about how the system is setup for you but surely a 2 week break is sufficient time to get things like this changed. I know I have a packed christmas of work we can do as its the easiest time to book downtime.

It has been in and out all morning, still getting the occasional bad gateway on Zimbra.
    that doesn't supprise me - Zimbra is so picky about its networking and DNS!

Thank Post
    that doesn't supprise me - Zimbra is so picky about its networking and DNS!
    Hence why we are moving to O365 but I could do with an internet connection to continue doing my work on this today. I have called them this morning and apparently it is the same issue as yesterday. It must be a very difficult service to restart if we are still having problems now!

Thank Post
    Yeh it's pretty much down here again

Thank Post
    Ok, now it's getting annoying....

Thank Post
    Sorry but it got to 9am and I had to just give up, banging head against the wall, no answer on the phone from the Fort or any response from email requests what is going on at Link2ICT?

I'm fed up of playing nice now if it fails tomorrow (when is more likely but trying to be optimistic) will be on the phone to BT, Virgin and every other Business ISP to get alternatives.

Utter ridiculous and yes Service Birmingham and Link2ICT I know you can see this post you have failed epically today and yesterday.

We need this upgraded solution to be reliable and work at the moment we've had two days of drop outs and IT IS NOT NOT GOOD ENOUGH!

Remember we are your customers, we pay the bills and we demand better service if you can't deliver we will find alternatives and I bet they'll be a damn sight cheaper, have better connection speeds and maybe even better customer service (After todays experience it wouldn't be hard to improve upon your abysmal efforts.)

I'm off down the pub!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast