+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910
Results 136 to 150 of 150
Birmingham Grid for Learning (BGfL) Thread, How to black out most of Birmingham....Let Link2ICT update your firewall in Regional Broadband Consortiums (RBC); Originally Posted by Little-Miss I'm sat with Trojan on one of the back tables.. I'm in the middle...
  1. #136
    DocHouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Somewhere near you
    Posts
    737
    Thank Post
    157
    Thanked 85 Times in 77 Posts
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Little-Miss View Post
    I'm sat with Trojan on one of the back tables..
    I'm in the middle

  2. #137

    CHR1S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    4,505
    Thank Post
    1,585
    Thanked 486 Times in 304 Posts
    Rep Power
    217
    Anyone not at the conf and on BGFL - can you please try to download this - https://lastpass.eu/sync/lastpass_x64.exe

    I'm getting Error code: ERR_TUNNEL_CONNECTION_FAILED

  3. #138

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    169
    Thank Post
    9
    Thanked 45 Times in 36 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    To the right with a white hoody on look bored.

  4. #139
    DocHouse's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Somewhere near you
    Posts
    737
    Thank Post
    157
    Thanked 85 Times in 77 Posts
    Rep Power
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by CHR1S View Post
    Anyone not at the conf and on BGFL - can you please try to download this - https://lastpass.eu/sync/lastpass_x64.exe

    I'm getting Error code: ERR_TUNNEL_CONNECTION_FAILED
    Thinks it blocked, downloaded fine via phones 3g got same as above via vpn to school domain.

  5. Thanks to DocHouse from:

    CHR1S (20th March 2014)

  6. #140

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Posts
    1
    Thank Post
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Happy to share with you what 97% of London schools are currently doing....

  7. #141

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    So how was the Link2ICT conference?

  8. #142

    Little-Miss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    London
    Posts
    5,508
    Thank Post
    2,388
    Thanked 754 Times in 462 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    544
    You know, they had some decent speakers on. Obviously it was more curric focused but i still found parts interesting.

    There was one particular speaker we all felt the same about, think he needs to work on his pitch. He was shocking. Birmingham e-Learning Foundation.

    The bit we were interested in was very quick. As someone mentioned, maybe they need to start the NM meetings up again.

  9. Thanks to Little-Miss from:

    CHR1S (20th March 2014)

  10. #143
    machin05's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    328
    Thank Post
    21
    Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
    Rep Power
    23
    Avoid BeLF like the plague. It's just a massive tax dodge from which they benefit very nicely. We've currently got a £56,000 hole in our ICT Dev budget because the head wanted us to push through a tablet scheme after being won over by BeLF.

  11. #144
    foofighterjim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    425
    Thank Post
    30
    Thanked 78 Times in 59 Posts
    Rep Power
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by machin05 View Post
    Avoid BeLF like the plague. It's just a massive tax dodge from which they benefit very nicely. We've currently got a £56,000 hole in our ICT Dev budget because the head wanted us to push through a tablet scheme after being won over by BeLF.
    Nobody at the conference yesterday would take them seriously now anyway. Like I posted yesterday, apparently owning an iPad makes you a better person. If you take one to an interview you will get the job. I saw curriculum based staff rolling their eyes at that point.

  12. #145

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by foofighterjim View Post
    Nobody at the conference yesterday would take them seriously now anyway. Like I posted yesterday, apparently owning an iPad makes you a better person. If you take one to an interview you will get the job. I saw curriculum based staff rolling their eyes at that point.
    The irony here (as I investigated recently) is e-safety when it comes to the iPad and education is basically zero. There was one really good product I found researching which monitors keywords etc... but this meant you'd have to jailbreak your iPad for the app to run. Multiply this by the many iPads schools already have and that's a lot of work.

    Clearly Apple have no care in the world for safeguarding children and this is why the likes of Forensic and other companies do not have a Policy Central or equivalent app. Apple appear to be blocking such apps because it's classified as spying or key logging.

  13. #146
    Brimstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Worcester
    Posts
    159
    Thank Post
    18
    Thanked 38 Times in 30 Posts
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The irony here (as I investigated recently) is e-safety when it comes to the iPad and education is basically zero. There was one really good product I found researching which monitors keywords etc... but this meant you'd have to jailbreak your iPad for the app to run. Multiply this by the many iPads schools already have and that's a lot of work.

    Clearly Apple have no care in the world for safeguarding children and this is why the likes of Forensic and other companies do not have a Policy Central or equivalent app. Apple appear to be blocking such apps because it's classified as spying or key logging.
    Sighs.........

    Customer Stories | Lightspeed Systems

    Web Filter Overview | Lightspeed Systems

    Disclaimer: I don't work for Lightspeed

  14. #147
    Alis_Klar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East Birmingham
    Posts
    291
    Thank Post
    148
    Thanked 21 Times in 11 Posts
    Rep Power
    18
    Would you really want to inflict the god awful Policy Central on iPads?!? Sure way to slow them down to a crawl. Policy central is a good idea badly implemented.
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    The irony here (as I investigated recently) is e-safety when it comes to the iPad and education is basically zero. There was one really good product I found researching which monitors keywords etc... but this meant you'd have to jailbreak your iPad for the app to run. Multiply this by the many iPads schools already have and that's a lot of work.

    Clearly Apple have no care in the world for safeguarding children and this is why the likes of Forensic and other companies do not have a Policy Central or equivalent app. Apple appear to be blocking such apps because it's classified as spying or key logging.

  15. #148

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    As far as I can see Lightspeed isn't a keylogging system, which is essentially what Policy Central is.

    If child A sends a threatening e-mail to child B, would Lightspeed detect such activity?

    Quote Originally Posted by Brimstone View Post
    Sighs.........

    Customer Stories | Lightspeed Systems

    Web Filter Overview | Lightspeed Systems

    Disclaimer: I don't work for Lightspeed

  16. #149

    Michael's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Birmingham
    Posts
    9,262
    Thank Post
    242
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Rep Power
    340
    Quote Originally Posted by Alis_Klar View Post
    Would you really want to inflict the god awful Policy Central on iPads?!? Sure way to slow them down to a crawl. Policy central is a good idea badly implemented.
    Policy Central isn't perfect, but I'd rather have something rather than nothing - otherwise we're only monitoring Windows devices... defeats the objective. An iPad App may/may not be in the works, but I think Forensic are going to have great difficulty getting it published. Apple's T & C's clearly state that keylogging, spying or hacking type apps are not permitted. This is essentially what Policy Central does for the benefit of schools.

    I'll be honest.. in the early days it was awful, like eating a bag of nails, but as of late it's pretty stable and problems are kept to a minimum - comparable with that of AV software.

  17. #150
    Brimstone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Worcester
    Posts
    159
    Thank Post
    18
    Thanked 38 Times in 30 Posts
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    As far as I can see Lightspeed isn't a keylogging system, which is essentially what Policy Central is.

    If child A sends a threatening e-mail to child B, would Lightspeed detect such activity?

    In a word....yes

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910

Similar Threads

  1. How to find out which machine a student logged onto, & when
    By indiegirl in forum How do you do....it?
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 16th March 2012, 01:17 PM
  2. How to work out domain string (LDAP I think)
    By garethedmondson in forum Windows
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 9th September 2009, 11:15 PM
  3. How to find out who deleted what
    By Chrish5 in forum Windows
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 17th October 2008, 10:37 AM
  4. How to structure the layout of the Kaleidos Portal Intrest Groups
    By AM_LHS in forum Virtual Learning Platforms
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 6th June 2008, 07:32 PM
  5. How to find out a preferred bidder
    By MK-2 in forum BSF
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 8th January 2008, 09:56 AM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •