+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
BETT 2015 Thread, 3d at bett in General; yeee, i dont see this 3D TV... tech lasting to long untill its fully glasses-less, at moment its all about ...
    Thank Post
    yeee, i dont see this 3D TV... tech lasting to long untill its fully glasses-less, at moment its all about iptv for me.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    Soon 3D won't require the use of glasses! just wait until then and it'll all be fine. Toshiba have just released a laptop that doesn't require glasses so it aint gonna be long

Toshiba Qosmio using high end processor and Nvidia Graphics
    Hmmm the details on this look a bit vague. It uses eye tracking software to enable no glasses 3D and it upscales 2D to 3D.

Sounds cool but unsure as to how good it will actually be. A number of 2D films were "upgraded" to 3D (clash of the titans being one, and they were rubbish compared to true 3D images.

As i have said I dont thinkg its quite there yet.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    Soon 3D won't require the use of glasses! just wait until then and it'll all be fine. Toshiba have just released a laptop that doesn't require glasses so it aint gonna be long ...
    I don't require glasses to see in 3D, i just need both my eyes. Why reinvent the wheel?
    but seriously, i do think glasses would get broken, so not needing them is a step in the right direction if it gives good enough quality.

Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Agreed - engaging learners is what the teacher's there for. So, what can you do with a 3D display that you could never had done before? I'm not sure that 3D models of a car engine or the human body count - you can currently view 3D models on a 2D display just fine, rotating them around to see how everything fits together. Does adding a 3D display capability add any useful learning to that experience?
    I don't think that 2d representation is the same as actual live 3d. Personally i'm not that keen on 3d movies because frankly, i don't see that it adds much, however certain scenes if well done really do look good. Avatar was very engaging. Also, i recently saw Tron legacy, which was awesome, and it has many parts that are just regular 2d, and some scenes when things are mixed (i believe).

The best 3d images i've seen were actually in the trailers to Avatar, because they had a large budget to use for a very short clip, and the items (bottle of vodka or some such) was very life like, actually floating in front of you, awesome quality.

I can see that for things like medicine, so maybe in a school dissection / biology, it adds to the experience without being messy. The difference to me is when you want to move your head around an object rather than just rotate the image using mouse / controls, that 3d is really exciting.

A former colleague works at a fab uni with a visualisation lab where they use multiple projectors to create some awesome effects, i'm hoping to go and check these out at some point. That's really high tech stuff but also costly.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I can see that for things like medicine, so maybe in a school dissection / biology, it adds to the experience without being messy.
    From the point of view of how schools should decide to spend money, I'd favour something that provided a new educational experience, something that could not be taught before, rather than something that simply added visual flair. Good teachers teaching interesting, relevant lessons should motivate pupils, the novalty of a 3D display is soon going to wear off.

The difference to me is when you want to move your head around an object rather than just rotate the image using mouse / controls, that 3d is really exciting.
    But shurely this is exactly what 3D film systems don't do? You're talking about some sort of proper, real 3D holographic projection, not a visual trick to fool your vision system into thinking there's a 3D scene in front of it.

A former colleague works at a fab uni with a visualisation lab where they use multiple projectors to create some awesome effects, i'm hoping to go and check these out at some point. That's really high tech stuff but also costly.
    A system that lets a class of pupils walk autonomously around a solid-looking 2D object, or a CAVE-like system with room with images projected on the walls creating a wrap-around 3D scene?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    I see what you mean about how it could be money not well spent, but that visual flair just might make it interesting enough for the children, it is the teachers job but using current technology to help is part of our job to facilitate.

Compared to objects that i've seen come out of blender, or even before being rendered in the model stage, i found the good 3d effects were better, it wasn't a real projection, it was just a well done cinematic clip. The size probably also helps it be more of a head turner.

The vis-lab stuff i'm not sure about, i'll have to get the expert to come in and comment.

Thank Post
    A completely different twist on 3d this year was 3d printing, i'll start up a new thread once i've got some photos/video together.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,407 Times in 851 Posts
    Blog Entries
    One thing to note all, ALL the 3D tv's and the new DS are coming with warnings about children using the 3d as it could easily cause sight issues.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    For those wondering about the cost of glasses, i saw a demo using two stacked projectors, which meant you could use cheaper $1 glasses, but obviously the initial hardware cost was higher. However the resulting image was nicer and brighter, so you could use go for lower lumens.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,189 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    One thing to note all, ALL the 3D tv's and the new DS are coming with warnings about children using the 3d as it could easily cause sight issues.
    That's only the ones that don't use glasses.

I don't recall seeing anything saying that 3D with glasses is dangerous... If it is why was it at BETT?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    That's only the ones that don't use glasses.

I don't recall seeing anything saying that 3D with glasses is dangerous... If it is why was it at BETT?
    If a tree falls and there is noone there to hear it, does it make a sound?
    Some people are citing evidence that mobiles can increase the risk of brain tumors.
    Ultimately, i don't think it's such a huge risk, cos in an education scenario it will be used for short bursts, not like watching a whole movie, besides i'd think the cost / applications would be for an age group higher than 6, as per the Nintendo article.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If a tree falls and there is noone there to hear it, does it make a sound?
    Yes. Sound is a vibration of air [If I remember my science correctly] and as such is not dependant on someone being around to hear it for it to exsist.

Some people are citing evidence that mobiles can increase the risk of brain tumors.
    Ultimately, i don't think it's such a huge risk, cos in an education scenario it will be used for short bursts, not like watching a whole movie, besides i'd think the cost / applications would be for an age group higher than 6, as per the Nintendo article.
    Urgh... the old "mobile phones cause cancer" argument. I swear that's never been proven.

I agree with the low-er risk involved in a school setting. But I could see teachers doing 3D all day and not thinking about it.

It'd be a new toy for them to play with and break.
    Last edited by X-13; 26th January 2011 at 10:33 AM.

Thank Post
    Only place i ever saw it was in newspaper "Daily Mail" so i personally would dismiss it out right there . But, not to be bias here is link to web article -3D-TV health warning: Tuning in can cause confusion, nausea and even fits, says electronics giant | Mail Online

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AWicher View Post
    Only place i ever saw it was in newspaper "Daily Mail" so i personally would dismiss it out right there . But, not to be bias here is link to web article -3D-TV health warning: Tuning in can cause confusion, nausea and even fits, says electronics giant | Mail Online

I laughed at the cynic wondering if they should patch one eye so they don't see anything in 3D.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    A system that lets a class of pupils walk autonomously around a solid-looking 2D object, or a CAVE-like system with room with images projected on the walls creating a wrap-around 3D scene?
    --
    David Hicks
    He's finally posted : New technology - what to buy?

I'm hoping there'll be more to come, as their place is awesome, and he's pretty much their resident AV expert now.

16. Thanks to vikpaw from:

dhicks (31st January 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123