+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
BETT 2015 Thread, My boss went to BETT ... in General; ... and brought me, well nothing that I'm being told about. He was very busy on Friday (visit Thursday) and ...
    Thank Post

My boss went to BETT ...

... and brought me, well nothing that I'm being told about. He was very busy on Friday (visit Thursday) and suffering from "tiredness", though he did complain that people tried to sell him things. Maybe Monday will bring out the goodies/baddies.
    Last edited by leco; 17th January 2009 at 04:14 PM. Reason: added value

Thank Post
    though he did complain that people tried to sell him things
    What did he expect it to be like?

Thank Post
    no I understand his complaint about people trying to sell you stuff. Am on my way home from bett now and was annoyed by the constant inturruptions while simply just walking past stands. It was just like walking through a town centre and marketers stopping you as you are walking through. It's offputting as I didn't want to browse too much for fear of being questioned for the 100th time. If I needed help, I would have asked for it LOL. Anyway other then that, I enjoyed it.

Thank Post
    Yeah but for exhibitors BETT is costing them a small fortune, perhaps the tactics they employed were a bit over ambitious but at the end of the day, the whole point for them is to promote and sell their wares.

For us, it's about networking and free stuff.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by _Bat_ View Post
    no I understand his complaint about people trying to sell you stuff. Am on my way home from bett now and was annoyed by the constant inturruptions while simply just walking past stands. It was just like walking through a town centre and marketers stopping you as you are walking through. It's offputting as I didn't want to browse too much for fear of being questioned for the 100th time. If I needed help, I would have asked for it LOL. Anyway other then that, I enjoyed it.
    Perhaps a marketing scheme for Edugeek...

T-Shirts with "If I want something I'll ask..."

Thank Post
    This is why I dont bother with things like BETT. I hate people coming up to me and trying to get me to buy their stuff. It gets even worse when it's a rubbish product and they are adamant it's the best thing since sliced bread.

I know what I want. I'll get it when I want it!

I suppose there's the view that you could find out about new products etc at BETT... but then again, you can do that via the internet. Without the constant cry of "SPEND HERE, SPEND HERE".

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by leco View Post
    though he did complain that people tried to sell him things.
    He's obviously never lived in Cambridge - after a couple of years experience with the punt-touts in town you acquire a remarkable talent for avoiding sales people...

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Its a trade off with these events.

Most exhibitors are there to sell stuff or promote themselves.

Punters go for the day off from actually working, get ideas or network with only a small number intending to actually purchase or order anything.

So there's quite a big gap between the 2 sets of people as in wolves/sheep in same field - they both like the outdoor life but little else in common

regards

Simon

Thank Post
    I wonder if they has been any research carried out - I wonder how many companies get business off the back of BETT.

The cost for a company to setup at BETT must be a small fortune and it has to show a return.

With school budgets currently being cut and with the "credit crunch" I would feel sales on the back of BETT will be at an all time low this year - I wonder if that will put many companies off next year.

Thank Post
    I went along on Friday and this year I had the tactic of not wearing my name badge and keeping it in my pocket! You don't get approched then! I've been previous years and they just scan across looking at badges to get talking to you. When i wanted to talk to somebody I approched the stand, then took out my name badge should they wish to scan it!

Simple!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    I wonder if they has been any research carried out - I wonder how many companies get business off the back of BETT.
    The cost for a company to setup at BETT must be a small fortune and it has to show a return.
    With school budgets currently being cut and with the "credit crunch" I would feel sales on the back of BETT will be at an all time low this year - I wonder if that will put many companies off next year.
    I'm thinking of starting a record of all the emails that will, inevitably, arrive as a result of the BETT visit. The two members of staff that attended are not as savvy as mattpant and will have been scanned numerous times. They will also, no doubt, have asked for further details and not been very discriminate about ticking/unticking contact boxes

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylv3r View Post
    But sales in general with be at an all time low, not just those related to BETT. I would figure their reduction in sales from BETT is proportional to reduction in sales from other marketing areas.

At the same time, have costs to have a stand at BETT increased, reduced or stayed the same compared to last years prices. Because if they haven't been lowered in line with the rest of the countries reductions then that's when companies will feel the pinch.

I didn't like companies jumping on me when I walked past as most of them did not excite me and I had no interest in. But I have to admit that I met a guy called Rowland who was selling a brilliant product and I would never have known about it had I not got talking to him. Fair enough, he didn't jump on me in a sales kind of way but none the less he started to talk to me and from this he got the chance to show me his product.

Maybe we could have a smaller EduBett that only sells stands to companies that directly relate to the role of technician/manager etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I thought the first post for this thread was going to read "and all i got was his lowsey t-shirt!"
    Last edited by Little-Miss; 18th January 2009 at 09:24 PM.

Thank Post
    I actually lost my name badge in amongst all the bags/paperwork I was given so nobody could scan me even if I wanted them to.

I was at BETT on Friday and yes, it was busy, but I didn't find that the suppliers were in my face. Not sure if that is because I am young and they think I am not worth approaching.

Thank Post
    I was at BETT on Thursday, Friday and Saturday......

As such I have a large collection of pens, stress balls, keyrings and a promethean bag (in cant be missed orange)....

PM me your address and you can have the lot.

I also found that on Thursday and Friday alot of stands were quite protective over there 'freebies' but on Saturday I couldnt get away from a stand without leaving with a collection of goodies.

My favourtie being a memory stick being in the shape of a little man, flexible arms and legs (like a lego man) but his head pops off to reveal the usb connector.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast