+ Post New Thread
BETT 2015 Thread, Bett - Survival in General; Right peeps...heres one for you! I have been set a task for next years Bett (as much as i can ...

Thank Post

Bett - Survival

Right peeps...heres one for you!

I have been set a task for next years Bett (as much as i can say for now!!) ....but I'll be there!! Yippee!!!!!!!!!

What things can you not survive without at Bett and what would you tell a first timer to take with them to help them get through the 4 days??

Any idea welcome silly & serious!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,767 Posts
    You must have:
    Comfortable shoes - due to all the walking
    Layered clothing - as it gets too hot... although I must admit the temperature control was better at ExCeL.
    A bottle of water.
    Regular rest breaks - the edugeek stand is good

3. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

ICTD_vicki (21st March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    A packed lunch for each day and snack food, the food in the buildings is rather extortionate in terms of pricing.
    Plenty of drinks - water preferably. Again, at £3 for a small bottle, it isn't cheap!
    A backpack for the junk some people thrust in your direction.
    A sense of humour!

5. Thanks to featured_spectre from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As @elsiegee40 said:

Comfy shoes are a must

Water, and lots of it. It is air conditioned in there and you will dehydrate easily

Throat lozengers - If you are busy and meeting a lot of visitors you will find your voice failing after 3 days. @Aggy at Net-Ctrl gave me some good ones a few years back and I can't remember their name I'm afraid.

Light clothing - It gets warm in there. I tried wearing a suit a couple of BETT's ago and binned it after a day. Comfy trousers and polo shirts FTW!

Paracetamol/headache tablets - If you've never done BETT before it gets intense and the noise can be quite overwhelming when exposed to it for several days. Nothing at all to do with the evening activities of course

A sense of humour - Very important

7. 2 Thanks to Dos_Box:

ICTDirect_Dave (21st March 2013), ICTD_vicki (21st March 2013)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Paracetamol/headache tablets - If you've never done BETT before it gets intense and the noise can be quite overwhelming when exposed to it for several days. Nothing at all to do with the evening activities of course
    Paracetamol!!!!!! they will have no impact on me and my horse tranquilisers!!!

9. Thanks to ICTD_vicki from:

john (21st March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    going as an exhibitor I'd say insoles as well as comfy soles - your feet will seriously ache after a few days.

as above, throat sweets are important. I also keep a tube of Berocca on hand to perk you up in the morning.

Clothing with pockets or a bag you can easily carry round is handy. between getting a bajillion business cards (plus giving them out) and cool freebies - you can soon get weighed down.

I'd also recommend sweets for buttering up your favourite geeks with

11. Thanks to Domino from:

Thank Post
    we did our first BETT show this year I'd recommend the following

1. Book your accomodation as early as you can for everyone. Don't stay right next to the BETT show as there's not much to do.
    2. Definitely where comfy shoes!
    3. Get other people to make your stand so you can just walk to it and all is ready. I know it costs more but trust me its worth the extra.
    4. hire bar code scanners.
    5. be nice to everyone that comes on your stand.
    6. Come say hello to me and my staff at Schools Broadband and we'll get you a free coffee

Quote Originally Posted by ICTD_vicki View Post
    Right peeps...heres one for you!

I have been set a task for next years Bett (as much as i can say for now!!) ....but I'll be there!! Yippee!!!!!!!!!

What things can you not survive without at Bett and what would you tell a first timer to take with them to help them get through the 4 days??

Any idea welcome silly & serious!!!

13. Thanks to SchoolsBroadband from:

Thank Post
    All the above really, just been looking back and its now six years I have been and each year we seem to in one way improve the visit be it hotel or train. Already just put BETT in to next years budget proposal which has been pro isionally approved so should see you all agin next year.

15. Thanks to TechSupp from:

ICTD_vicki (25th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Agree on the good shoes, this years BETT had the same shoes as last years BETT simply due to them being so comfy and thus have now done two BETTs and one EICE show as well as normal work and they are still giving good service (I would hope so for over £100 though!!)

Take a portable pharmacy with you if you are down for more than one day, I know a lot of people have ended up with "BETT-itus" this year (I blame all those southern bugs that us northern Yorkshiremen avoid) but paracetamol, lemsip / beechams etc... would be good to have

One thing a friend recommended to me (but never tried but makes sense) aswell as the shoes you can get some Peppamint Foot Balm which she swears by and she works in ExCeL and other centres a lot with her line of work and that makes a big difference as well

Something to drink is always good as queues can be quite large at the coffee bars etc... especially if you really want lunch at lunchtime (best go early or later on - EG Pizza time was timed perfectly this year and avoided the big queues at Tratoria Pizza place)

Plan to need twice as long as expected to get around so if you plan to do it in half a day you will need a day etc...

Oh and you have to do the Cable Car to ExCeL it is very much worth it I really enjoyed our flight on it thank to @elsiegee40 for taking us on it to the O2 that night

Get plenty of sleep it is a tiring day even if you think you are well planned it is a busy one I know my colleagues found it just a case of at how big and busy it was as it was the first time they had been to the show.

Oh and stop by and say Hi to the BETT Team on the EduGeek stand We love to meet any member all the time and say Hi to our many sponsors and advertisers who are also at BETT to show you appreciate them working with us

17. Thanks to john from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,487 Times in 1,234 Posts
    In addition to the sterling advice above, i would like to refer my right honourable colleague to this post http://www.edugeek.net/forums/bett-2...ssentials.html

Since then, i would add a portable charger, just a well charged phone is not enough any more, we had fun daisy chaining ours together one night, but it's a must as you'll drain all the devices you bring.
    Sticky labels with your details has been good previous advice.
    Electronic cigs for teh smokers, got to be useful.
    Facepaint - you never know when you'll need to go in cog nito
    Take friends, you can't survive without your friends.
    Lots of money, buying rounds for your friends is expensive.
    A larger belt - all those rounds will have an effect on the waistline, not to mention all you can eat duck

19. 2 Thanks to vikpaw:

ICTD_vicki (25th March 2013), john (27th March 2013)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,825 Posts
    I would second practically everything that has been said. I would actually take two different pairs of comfy shoes as it is amazing how uncomfy a pair can get after a couple of days. They might not, but if they do you will have an alternative.
    I found that painkillers were a must along with lots of water and I was only there for a couple of days. The lights are bright and intrusive. Next year I might take some lightly tinted sunglasses to cut out the glare.

21. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    A larger belt - all those rounds will have an effect on the waistline, not to mention all you can eat duck
    No! No more duck! Agree on the belt but I find due to the BETT experience I need one that goes smaller as my jeans that didn't fit right on Monday did by Sunday!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread