BETT 2011 - Thanks everyone
Well, it’s over for another year, and all that remains is for me to thank everyone who helped on the stand. From Ric in his ideas and stand design (minimal) to his efforts to set up the non-existent stand with John on Tuesday to Little Miss and her parents (really, they showed up this morning. I’ve never seen anyone get so giggly and embarrassed so quickly!).
This year especially special thanks go the helpers on the stand who freed me up to do the ‘business’ end of things whist they did the meeting and greeting and freebie distribution. As always though, it was the members who either came up to say ‘hi’ or stopped for a longer chat who made all of our efforts worthwhile and pushed the exhaustion away (for a bit), and the increasing attention of some major names in the IT industry means your ideas and options are going to carry a lot further that you thought.
OK, so in no particular order here’s the list of ‘yay's’ and ‘boo's’
- EMAP For letting us help out again at this year’s show.
- Our members visiting the stand, it’s always a pleasure.
- All of the stand staff for ensuring I had time to do ‘my thing’ as well as meeting the members.
- Yas Persian restaurant on Hammersmith Road where we ate in last night. ‘Yum’ does not do it justice. If you get chance, eat there.
- SYSMAN_MK for staying for the ‘end-of-BETT meal’ and being a graphic genius.
- Nephelim for wearing a mask to bed and making me smile.
- Tony Sheppard. No-one should ever have to work as hard as you do.
- SmoothWall for the Nerf gun range and net connection….and everything else besides. You guys are stars.
- Net-Ctrl for the loan of Aggy. She works as hard as Tony but is much better looking!
- Microsoft for the ideas and help in the future, as well as the launch party invite. Thanks Ray, you’ll be missed here in the UK.
- Graham Brown-Martin, for inviting us to the Handheld Learning Conference. You really are as mad as a box of frogs, but you also have lots of very valid points!
- Will Townsend of ESP for the party invite after the BETT exhibitors bash. Nice pub, nice beer and nice food. Oh, nice people too ;)
- Having the stand taken down in record time and getting everyone out of BETT by 16:20 for the first time ever.
- Novotel St Pancras for getting our rooms right.
- Novotel London West, for getting mine and Shaun’s room booking so horribly wrong and doing the minimum to fix it.
- Photography conventions in the same Novotel for bad singers and hogging the bar\chairs.
- El Toro restaurant on Hammersmith Road. I didn’t think an eating establishment could get it so wrong in such a short space of time, but you did. Congratulations.
- Finally having a hour spare to look around the exhibition and getting dragged into several booths and given a sales pitch instead of a quick introduction before getting half way around which resulted in my retreating back to the safety of the EduGeek stand.
- Learning of a certain filtering company new to the UK market bad mouthing SmoothWall.
- A certain stand that we all ended up taking detours around because of rather ‘enthusiastic’ staff.
- My utter, utter exhaustion and having to be away from home for 10 days.
I’m sure there are more, but I really am too tired to add to the list, so I may come back to edit it later.
Who’s up for BETT 2012?