+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
BETT 2014 Thread, BETT Essentials in General; Any one going for their first time? Been before but planning what you need? Here is a list of things ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,156 Posts

BETT Essentials

Any one going for their first time?
    Been before but planning what you need?

Here is a list of things i was coming up with that might be useful. I'm sure it's been done before and there are oodles of blogs and tweets with all sorts of things on, but we haven't had it come up yet this year, so here's my little list.

If you have your own list or additions to mine, post them up.

No particular order:

1) Comfy shoes - you'll be on your feet a lot, and lots of walking to do. Consider some bubble wrap in the bottom if doing multiple days.
    2) Bottle of water - stay hydrated, you'll be talking and walking a lot. Some lip salve could also be handy.
    3) Cereal bar - you can buy food there (bit expensive), or go out, but it's a big place so some handy energy is wise.
    4) Hand sanitiser - there'll be plenty to touch, feel and play with, and you'll shake many hands, so when you do stop to eat - keep 'em clean
    5) Light weight rucksack - to carry all your freebies/handouts and essential items - paper gets heavy, and swinging mugs around in a paper/carrier bag is awkward and dangerous.
    6) Mobile - who leaves home without it? Turn off non essential features to save on battery life, it can be a really long day, especially if you travel in and out on the same day.
    7) A pen - just in case you can't find a freebie when you need to fill out that all important iPad competition form!
    8) USB charging cable for the phone - just in case, you might not find a socket, but there will be plenty of computers and you may find a nice stand where you can chat and charge
    9) Compact camera - snapping shots of cool things and make short videos to show colleagues; much better than a handout. Also, you don't want to wear the phone battery down.
    10) Lightweight waterproof - just in case it's wet out, nothing too bulky as you need to carry it. Also handy to have thin but warm inner layer, so it's light. Travel shop sort is good.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,720 Times in 1,486 Posts
    Blog Entries
    USB Pen maybe handy. You may meet someone or a company that has a few tools you may want.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,396 Times in 1,156 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    USB Pen maybe handy. You may meet someone or a company that has a few tools you may want.
    ooh, yes, that can swap out for regular pen, i mean, how unlucky must you be, not to find a pen, at the BETT show!

Thank Post
    A stack of business cards - easier to hand over and share your details

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,632 Posts
    Layers of clothing. It gets very warm in there, even when there's snow on the ground outside!

Thank Post
    Number 6, I nearly did last year and I had to walk back from the station to get it. But on the other hand I managed to arrive early. So it does happen guys. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    Any one going for their first time?
    Been before but planning what you need?

Here is a list of things i was coming up with that might be useful. I'm sure it's been done before and there are oodles of blogs and tweets with all sorts of things on, but we haven't had it come up yet this year, so here's my little list.

If you have your own list or additions to mine, post them up.

No particular order:

1) Comfy shoes - you'll be on your feet a lot, and lots of walking to do. Consider some bubble wrap in the bottom if doing multiple days.
    2) Bottle of water - stay hydrated, you'll be talking and walking a lot. Some lip salve could also be handy.
    3) Cereal bar - you can buy food there (bit expensive), or go out, but it's a big place so some handy energy is wise.
    4) Hand sanitiser - there'll be plenty to touch, feel and play with, and you'll shake many hands, so when you do stop to eat - keep 'em clean
    5) Light weight rucksack - to carry all your freebies/handouts and essential items - paper gets heavy, and swinging mugs around in a paper/carrier bag is awkward and dangerous.
    6) Mobile - who leaves home without it? Turn off non essential features to save on battery life, it can be a really long day, especially if you travel in and out on the same day.
    7) A pen - just in case you can't find a freebie when you need to fill out that all important iPad competition form!
    8) USB charging cable for the phone - just in case, you might not find a socket, but there will be plenty of computers and you may find a nice stand where you can chat and charge
    9) Compact camera - snapping shots of cool things and make short videos to show colleagues; much better than a handout. Also, you don't want to wear the phone battery down.
    10) Lightweight waterproof - just in case it's wet out, nothing too bulky as you need to carry it. Also handy to have thin but warm inner layer, so it's light. Travel shop sort is good.

rad
    Thank Post
    If you forget your lunch, go to the Tesco opposite (if you are watching the pennies) it is on the main road about 2 minutes walk. Also a good place to get a drink before doing in.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesreedersmith View Post
    A stack of business cards - easier to hand over and share your details
    I take pre-printed labels, even easier as then you can stick one straight onto their contact information form :-)

9. Thanks to Iain.Faulkner from:

IrritableTech (9th January 2012)

rad
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I'll rephrase it as USB storage device!! (not a writing tool)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    If I get hungry I'll just float to the Edugeek Stand at lunchtime for pizza!

Pete

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,786 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    My first time at Bett but imagine business cards will be quite handy if you have them. Enter competitions and hand them to vendors you're interested in

Thank Post
    First time at BETT's this year and only there for Thursday afternoon.
    Still better then nothing!
    Thought about notebook then decided that I can manage with smartphone and spare chargeing stuff (plus batteries etc).
    going by train (hense only half a day as only allowed to go off peak for cost!). It's quite a while since I have been to things like this (dif lifetime!!). In those days I was on expense accounts so never thought of the cost.
    So good tips about the food etc and water.
    going to be a long day but looking forward to it.
    Alan

Thank Post
    I have a question. Are there lockers or anything at the event? I normally take my iPad on long train journeys but i dont want to be carrying it around all day!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,909 Times in 1,417 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not lockers as such, however I am sure the geek stand can look after it if you put a label on it or something.

Speaking of labels, use one to cover the barcode on your badge, I have had companies (mentioning no names impero) that did "drive by scanning" - I was walking past and they scanned my badge atleast 7 or 8 times over the 2 days. Quite a few companies employ that tactic and its frustrating with the amount of junk mail received!

17. Thanks to nephilim from:

Millgate (9th January 2012)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast