+ Post New Thread
BETT 2014 Thread, BETT moves to ExCeL London from 2013 in General; Just had this via email.. BETT moves to ExCeL London from 2013 BETT, the world’s leading showcase of education technology ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

BETT moves to ExCeL London from 2013

Just had this via email..

BETT moves to ExCeL London from 2013

BETT, the world’s leading showcase of education technology solutions, spends its last year at Olympia in 2012; from 2013 it will be hosted at London’s ExCel.

Each year, for the last 27 years, over 700 exhibitors connect with educational leaders and teaching practitioners with ICT solutions specifically designed for the education sector.

“BETT has become the world’s largest educational technology event over its 13 years at Olympia. In fact, the show has become so large that it has now outgrown our venue and has been forced to find a new location to house its expanding space requirements,” says Anna Golden, Commercial Director, Olympia.

Over its long history, BETT visitors have benefited from the comprehensive one-stop shop environment, making great use of their time experiencing and trialling the full range of technology solutions, networking and contributing to professional development through a broad range of associated conference, workshop and seminar sessions. BETT is internationally acknowledged as the place to be for the education sector to buy, network and learn about the best in educational products and services.

“Although it’s with sadness that we announce our move from such a great venue,” says Paul Dunne MD EMAP Connect, “BETT has quite simply outgrown the space available at the venue”.

The move also represents a major opportunity for BETT’s partners, visitors, sponsors and exhibitors to expand on both space and the future vision for the event. ExCeL offers the location and facilities to support BETT’s requirements and hot on the heels of the Olympic year the superior transport infrastructure, links to both Europe and rest of the UK, and a campus of hotels and restaurants make it an obvious choice for the re-location.

“BETT has firmly cemented its position as the world’s leading meeting place for educators seeking to maximise the value of their ICT investments,” explains Debbie French, Exhibition Director. “We look forward to connecting an even larger and more diverse audience of visitors from across the UK and internationally, and drawing senior decision-makers from all levels of education with significant purchasing power in far greater numbers.”

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,496 Times in 1,342 Posts
    [censored] I get lost as it is nevermind it being bigger.

Ben
    Last edited by ZeroHour; 7th May 2011 at 08:59 PM.

Thank Post
    I wonder if this makes life easier for me travelling from the north east. I'll have to evaluate my options.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    At last! The Visitors' Advisory Group looked at this and it was put off until after the Olympics at the earliest. There will be better road and rail access too.

I am looking forward to the resources it will give access to for seminars, workshops too. I'll miss the breakfast in a bun from Frank's though.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I am looking forward to the resources it will give access to for seminars, workshops too. I'll miss the breakfast in a bun from Frank's though.
    You've got one more year to enjoy it so thats 5 / 6 show days ya know so plenty of time to enjoy

As for the move, its been the trades worst kept secret, its been going on about moving in 2012 for at least 2 years now if not 3 with ExCeL being the only real venue suitable.

Transport links are better, LU is much better there, none of this waiting for a 1 in 6 tube which runs 3x an hour to Olympia which will be great, and ExCeL is a nice venue, I've been to the Motor Show there, however with it being so huuuuuuuuuuuge, they will not fill it so it may have other events on in the venue so accommodation could become even more stupidly priced than around Olympia, and pricing no doubt will go sky high, although all the extras being built for London 2012 will help that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,495 Posts
    Even easier for me to get to! I'll be able to do it from home in about an hour!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @john
    One of the reasons the move had been put off previously was to make sure that there were enough hotels, the planned expansions to the facilities and the travel links were sorted. All that had to be done prior to the Olympics next year so it makes sense for them to wait until 2013. The hotel prices will be pretty much the same as what folk have to pay now ... that was one concern of exhibitors and EMAP ... and there will be enough spaces to cater for more than one event.

I'm looking forward to what will be planned for seminars and workshops.

Thank Post
    Next bett will be my 10th - and I can honestly say i don't think there's one thing i'll miss about the olympia.

Given that i've done 9 Infosecs at Olympia or Earls Court, it will be nice to be in a new area of london too!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I certainly won't miss the electricians, thats for sure. Let's hope the options for providing food and drink on the stands is better than the arm-twisting than you get at Olympia.

As a visitor ExCeL is far better for access to food and facilities too. More space to meet up with colleagues or friends from other schools, and the centre itself has a wide range of eateries ... and outside there are some good places ... a decent Thai place and a nice Caribbean too ... but the prices are not that good from what I have heard.

Personally, if I am staying over I am happy to go in to Central London anyway to get some grub. I still want to take a few folk to a really nice Chinese Buffet just off Tottenham Court Road (perhaps after WWRY?)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,035 Times in 908 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    I certainly won't miss the electricians, thats for sure. Let's hope the options for providing food and drink on the stands is better than the arm-twisting than you get at Olympia.

As a visitor ExCeL is far better for access to food and facilities too. More space to meet up with colleagues or friends from other schools, and the centre itself has a wide range of eateries ... and outside there are some good places ... a decent Thai place and a nice Caribbean too ... but the prices are not that good from what I have heard.

Personally, if I am staying over I am happy to go in to Central London anyway to get some grub. I still want to take a few folk to a really nice Chinese Buffet just off Tottenham Court Road (perhaps after WWRY?)
    Mmmmm chinese buffet and WWRY Love it which one is it GD as there are a few around

ExCeL food is more expensive than Olympia last time I was at ExCeL, but was more choice certainly is wider. Electrics and service are better in the sense that its newer setup but sill outrageously priced and no doubt the same contractors will be doing it, thus common niggles will continue, Internet has been an issue in past events ive been at ExCeL so could be fun....

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ExCeL is great, right on top of Custom House station. I visit twice a year at least.

Good tips for the area:

Custom House Hotel: Very nice and right next to the DLR station. Has a decent chinese takeaway that will give you cutlery to take back to your room and eat, do it because it's cheaper then eating in. For large groups, 4 person apartment rooms are available at ~£150 a night on special Internet deals when you book on their site. Split between 4 people that is very cheap and they come with large tellies and were built recently. Cross the station you are in Excel.

Ibis: Another hotel I can recommend, though a little more "modular" feel to the rooms. Immediately opposite the Excel Centre. The Novotel next door I haven't tried.

Eating: Off-licence opposite the Ibis that sells booze, toiletries and food. Japanese restaurant round the back of the hotels facing the waterfront that is worth a visit. Easy access to Central London, DLR runs direct to Bank/Tower Gateway. For the morning after types, there is a very good greasy spoons round the corner from Custom House on the parade of shops. Huge breakfasts! Food in the ExCel centre is expensive and cash machines can get queues but are spread out throughout the central corridor.

Setup/Takedown: Be ready to load and unload within ~15 minutes of parking up in the bays out back. It also gets pretty cramped. Hotels have parking and charges apply, check when booking.

And finally, look up at the metal structure by the grass. If you see the little plastic things stuck to the metal, they used to be glowing LEDs when we threw them up there a few years ago...
    Last edited by CAM; 20th May 2011 at 07:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Well, I'll be pleased with this move. It means I only need to take 1 bus from almost directly outside my house and it's only about a 10 min journey! Either that, or get my dad to drop me off! lol!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread