+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
BETT 2014 Thread, BETT 2011 - Thanks everyone in General; Well, it’s over for another year, and all that remains is for me to thank everyone who helped on the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 932 Posts
    Blog Entries

BETT 2011 - Thanks everyone

Well, it’s over for another year, and all that remains is for me to thank everyone who helped on the stand. From Ric in his ideas and stand design (minimal) to his efforts to set up the non-existent stand with John on Tuesday to Little Miss and her parents (really, they showed up this morning. I’ve never seen anyone get so giggly and embarrassed so quickly!).
    This year especially special thanks go the helpers on the stand who freed me up to do the ‘business’ end of things whist they did the meeting and greeting and freebie distribution. As always though, it was the members who either came up to say ‘hi’ or stopped for a longer chat who made all of our efforts worthwhile and pushed the exhaustion away (for a bit), and the increasing attention of some major names in the IT industry means your ideas and options are going to carry a lot further that you thought.
    OK, so in no particular order here’s the list of ‘yay's’ and ‘boo's’

Yay's:
    • EMAP For letting us help out again at this year’s show.
    • Our members visiting the stand, it’s always a pleasure.
    • All of the stand staff for ensuring I had time to do ‘my thing’ as well as meeting the members.
    • Yas Persian restaurant on Hammersmith Road where we ate in last night. ‘Yum’ does not do it justice. If you get chance, eat there.
    • SYSMAN_MK for staying for the ‘end-of-BETT meal’ and being a graphic genius.
    • Nephelim for wearing a mask to bed and making me smile.
    • Tony Sheppard. No-one should ever have to work as hard as you do.
    • SmoothWall for the Nerf gun range and net connection….and everything else besides. You guys are stars.
    • Net-Ctrl for the loan of Aggy. She works as hard as Tony but is much better looking!
    • Microsoft for the ideas and help in the future, as well as the launch party invite. Thanks Ray, you’ll be missed here in the UK.
    • Graham Brown-Martin, for inviting us to the Handheld Learning Conference. You really are as mad as a box of frogs, but you also have lots of very valid points!
    • Will Townsend of ESP for the party invite after the BETT exhibitors bash. Nice pub, nice beer and nice food. Oh, nice people too
    • Having the stand taken down in record time and getting everyone out of BETT by 16:20 for the first time ever.
    • Novotel St Pancras for getting our rooms right.

Boo's:
    • Novotel London West, for getting mine and Shaun’s room booking so horribly wrong and doing the minimum to fix it.
    • Photography conventions in the same Novotel for bad singers and hogging the bar\chairs.
    • El Toro restaurant on Hammersmith Road. I didn’t think an eating establishment could get it so wrong in such a short space of time, but you did. Congratulations.
    • Finally having a hour spare to look around the exhibition and getting dragged into several booths and given a sales pitch instead of a quick introduction before getting half way around which resulted in my retreating back to the safety of the EduGeek stand.
    • Learning of a certain filtering company new to the UK market bad mouthing SmoothWall.
    • A certain stand that we all ended up taking detours around because of rather ‘enthusiastic’ staff.
    • My utter, utter exhaustion and having to be away from home for 10 days.

I’m sure there are more, but I really am too tired to add to the list, so I may come back to edit it later.
    Who’s up for BETT 2012?
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 16th January 2011 at 06:42 PM.

2. 17 Thanks to Dos_Box:

Aggy (17th January 2011), Domino (16th January 2011), elsiegee40 (16th January 2011), GrumbleDook (16th January 2011), Hightower (17th January 2011), Little-Miss (16th January 2011), MarkPower (17th January 2011), nephilim (16th January 2011), rob_f (17th January 2011), seanlaz (17th January 2011), SimpleSi (16th January 2011), Soulfish (16th January 2011), Sylv3r (16th January 2011), SYSMAN_MK (16th January 2011), TheScarfedOne (16th January 2011), vikpaw (19th January 2011), witch (16th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Thankyou Chris & the rest of the team, you make (and I think I speak for my colleagues here) BETT about the best work week of the year - exhibitions without you lot next door are loads less fun.

And if I find out who'd been bad mouthing us, i'll send them a mouldy sausage in the post it's just jealousy though, asd we all know!!!

4. Thanks to tom_newton from:

seanlaz (17th January 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks too to everyone on the stand, great to meet you guys - putting faces to names, and letting me darken a corner of the stand for 3 days. Finally got the chance to make a few days of it, and get more involved .

Added Yays:
    Serif for the Brollies which resulted in some "Brollie Fencing" with Tony (vid to follow...)
    Lego guys for letting me play with the remote controlled dumper truck
    Tony doing his Tiger thing :-)
    All the Staff and Mods being so welcoming, and letting me "lurk" with intent lol

Added Booos:
    Being repeatedly stopped by the same 2 people on one stand despite wearing a EG T-shirt and Exibitor badge...grrrrr!
    Not shrink-wrapping or duck-tapping up EduTech this year lol

Roll on 2012

Thank Post
    ...Aggy. She works as hard as Tony but is much better looking!
    I think its a close run thing when Tony the Tiger is about

Si

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Glad my mask provided some amusement...even if littlemiss thinks I sound like darth vader whilst wearing it! Mind you without it, I would sound like Ric...whom I could hear from his room underneath!!!

Definately agree about El Toro and YAS, mind you I think everyone that was there would agree about the comments you put about those!!!

That filtering company made a bad name for themselves, a few people who came to the smoothwall stand mentioned about them, certainly one to avoid, especially with the figures they have! lol 20 people (which includes devs, managers, etc) for 56000 clients (or whatever it was!) lol

*edit*

Let me know if the password for the switch works, if not I will find out what I put down curtesy of my keylogger. lol
    Last edited by nephilim; 16th January 2011 at 06:32 PM.

Thank Post
    Whoever it was who helped me get the best freebie between my ex boss and myself!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Definately seconded on Yas - the food and company were both outstanding. Thanks Chris :-).

LOL, we even got a few "roars" out of Tony :-p. I thankfully was let off witnessing Ric's legendry snoring (ta Tony), seriously - though the floor?? I never got to see the mask though booo.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    looks like that, only with it over my nose and mouth, and the bit at the top resting on my forehead.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 1,341 Posts
    Ric snores does he. I thought Robk was going to die at one point, but on the serious side thanks for the room it was great to be able to help out this year.

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Seconded, thanks Chris and Tony for letting me stay. Jon - hows the head after the 5am antics? lol

Oh yea, another Yay...

James with his round of "cocktail drinks" so cruel, but so funny!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,495 Times in 1,341 Posts
    Indeed.

Was great to spend time with the family and put names to faces.

I only have one thing to say to Domino

Skoooooooooooooooooooooooog!!!!!!!!

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    And if I find out who'd been bad mouthing us, i'll send them a mouldy sausage in the post it's just jealousy though, asd we all know!!!
    Having been accosted by them while walking about with Robk I think we both agreed that they left a very bad taste in our mouths with their sales tactics!

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Yay's:
    • Yas Persian restaurant on Hammersmith Road where we ate in last night. ‘Yum’ does not do it justice. If you get chance, eat there.
    Yas was great - really enjoyed the whole meal there

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Who’s up for BETT 2012?
    Looking forward to it already

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    Ric snores does he. I thought Robk was going to die at one point, but on the serious side thanks for the room it was great to be able to help out this year.

Ben
    Hopefully I can`t be heard through the floor.....

Many thanks to EduGeek for picking up the tab for accommodation etc. Its nice to be part of an excellent team.

Will put BETT 2012 my diary assuming everyone can cope with me again!

It was a great show.

16. Thanks to robk from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tom_newton View Post
    And if I find out who'd been bad mouthing us, i'll send them a mouldy sausage in the post it's just jealousy though, as we all know!!!
    Your minions have been given firing directions and were last seen nerf guns in hand…..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,164 Times in 758 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post

I only have one thing to say to Domino

Skoooooooooooooooooooooooog!!!!!!!!

Ben
    SKOOOOOOOOOOOG

Kirsty is trying to buy a couple for her work, so I may be able to give an extended review later in the year and totally not just play with them. no, thats not what will happen.

Thanks Chris, for letting us minor geeks join in with your fun again - and for putting up with all the stress and irritations from nutters/exhibitors/edutech as well as keeping us in a style to which we could very easily become accustomed.

added yays:
    • Meeting a record amount of edugeek members who we've not seen before
    • having the 'most people on site at once' records tumble day after day
    • ZeroHour calling Chris and I 'an embarrassment' when we were with Microsoft (you had to be there)
    • Bossman and Webman being able to stay the night for once, and not just running around like loons cause they're sleep deprived and need to catch a coach. Also great to see you guys.
    • Playing nerf guns at high noon with Sean from Smoothwall in the middle of some very disapproving people - hilarious. In fact smoothwall once again kept us entertained and on our toes, always a good thing.
    • Everyone who viewed the webcam/twitter feeds/videos and said hi on the shoutbox - you guys help show us that it is worthwhile reporting back

added boos:
    • Shocking internet access - this is usual but this year seemed even worse. Shaun and I both trying to work on stand was killed by traceroute response with up to 4-figure lag times. Retiring to the press lounge didn't help when their connection died too.
    • UPS - they are teh fail. end of.
    • Freebie quality was an all time low - seriously shockingly bad. I may have to purchase memory sticks this year rather than pulling them from promotional bags for 7 weeks
    Last edited by Domino; 16th January 2011 at 07:24 PM.

19. Thanks to Domino from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast